Steve Wright must be stopped.

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Steve Wright in the Afternoon was the sound of my youth.  I don't mind him - even if it's just for nostalgia reasons.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Steve Wright didn't invent the Zoo radio format, he pinched it from the USA radio shows
    I know. I was going to edit my post with " first in the UK" but I couldn't be arsed.  :)
  • KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    His show is the radio equivalent of the village hall notice board.

It’s mostly announcements of what’s on TV, gigs, radio, book releases and then him singing over the music and saying “SHOUT OUT” in a mockney accent.

There’s that jingle he plays with the sax on it that lasts about 3 hours which I cannot for the life of me work out why he plays it?

... and then there’s his “Serious jockin’ with no G” segment that he announces over and over all week until Friday (?) when he plays a bunch of badly mixed 90s dance tunes. 

Unfortunately my car has a basic stereo and it was all I heard in the afternoon until I bought a Bluetooth radio thingy.
    (the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I remember going to see him "live" in Peppermint Place, Blackburn, in 1987. Even back then it was an ironic night out, like getting Sweet to play your graduation ball. The most memorable moment for me was getting off the coach, bent double with a full bladder, and relieving myself in an alleyway. Pure bliss, unlike Mr Wright, who was shit.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    edited July 2020
    PC_Dave said:

It's the singing along with songs that really gets on my wick though.
    This. A thousand times this.
    Times another thousand. Wright's facetious sing-along and Paige's skin-crawling cackle are enough for me to switch stations. Makes you wonder why BBC would want to broadcast seriously annoying traits.
  • danodano Frets: 1593
    Let me put it this way if I was in a room with a gun with one bullet and had to choose between Steve Wright or Adolf Hitler, Hitler would be having tea at home that night.
    Shoot Hitler and then pistol whip Steve Wright to a bludgeoned mess surely.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12313
    dano said:
    Let me put it this way if I was in a room with a gun with one bullet and had to choose between Steve Wright or Adolf Hitler, Hitler would be having tea at home that night.
    Shoot Hitler and then pistol whip Steve Wright to a bludgeoned mess surely.

Sort of a Sophie's choice really.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1590
    tone1 said:
    I’m sure the BBC think it’ll collapse if he leaves...just like the Tower of London if the crows disappear....Or he knows where the bodies are buried....

I know most of the people who have to work with him will probably have a party.
    Confirmed.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Kilgore said:
    Steve Wright didn't invent the Zoo radio format, he pinched it from the USA radio shows
    I know. I was going to edit my post with " first in the UK" but I couldn't be arsed.  :)
    Plus it was decades ago (80s ?), and even then he was only ever a second rate Kenny Everett.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    His show has been trapped in a 1988 time freeze. If you're pining for those days then it's all good.

There's so much good content out there now there's no point putting yourself through it. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Radio 6 has saved music radio for me. All the others were so embarrassingly dire I just didn't listen anymore. They don't always play stuff I like but it's usually interesting and they treat music with respect and not as something that has to be slotted between the banter.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 783
    I used to love Diamond Geezer, Mick & Keef, Arnie & all, going back a bit but it was a good afternoon show.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4156
    I used to listen around 82 to 88 , the afternoon boys
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Jalapeno said:
    Kilgore said:
    Plus it was decades ago (80s ?), and even then he was only ever a second rate Kenny Everett.

I agree it's old hat now but fresh in it's day. I'm sure his continued presence on the radio is largely down to approx 8 million weekly listeners. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    JezWynd said:
    Radio 6 has saved music radio for me. All the others were so embarrassingly dire I just didn't listen anymore. They don't always play stuff I like but it's usually interesting and they treat music with respect and not as something that has to be slotted between the banter.

R2 in the evening is ok, but I agree (also Planet Rock, Jazz FM, Classic FM and Scala)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    edited July 2020
    I listened to the start of his show by accident yesterday, he introduced the song "Jack and Diane" spoke through the first third of it and played sound effects if cheering and clapping let the middle play and then talked through the last third of it, Not my favourite song, but what's wrong with this bastard? 

He should have been put into the 3am slot on local radio years ago or even better, drowned.
    Just a small detail, Wright wasn’t on yesterday, it was Paddy O Connell standing in.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    Seriously irritatin'
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    I used to like him, but struggle whenever he's on when I'm back in the UK. Radio2 used to be my standard "driving from LHR to Norfolk" listening but it does my head in a bit now. Plays good songs but fecks about while they play. Not ok!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12313
    SimonC said:
    I listened to the start of his show by accident yesterday, he introduced the song "Jack and Diane" spoke through the first third of it and played sound effects if cheering and clapping let the middle play and then talked through the last third of it, Not my favourite song, but what's wrong with this bastard? 

He should have been put into the 3am slot on local radio years ago or even better, drowned.
    Just a small detail, Wright wasn’t on yesterday, it was Paddy O Connell standing in.

You are right it was Tuesday, it just feels like yesterday
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2377

Looks like he''s had a hard life....not a cushy six figure job for the last 40 years. Don't listen to the radio....can't believe he's still on. Does he still read out his own fake gushing reviews....?
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom