Steve Wright must be stopped.

What's Hot

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    Yes, and by all accounts he is a bit of an arse in real life.

It's the singing along with songs that really gets on my wick though.
    Exactly this. 

It’s comforting to know I’m not the only one that has this level of distain for him. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16082
    I can't stand his singing along.......or overtalking BUT;
    Anybody who takes the piss out of the sanctimonious , revolting Jeremy Vine is good by me
    The Alan Bennet impersonations are quite funny
    My son ,age 22 and daughter age 17 and wife age 50 heard him going on about "serious Jockin' ,DJ silly boy " burst out laughing and said "who is this wanker !"...........they thought it was a piss-take .............serious self-deludin' (without the G")
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    Good or bad, I don't think anyone should be in a job like that for 40 years.  It doesn't get anyone anywhere.  He ought to encourage fresher, funny, interesting talent to come through by moving aside gracefully.  I don't think he thinks in those terms though.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12295
    Strat54 said:

Looks like he''s had a hard life....not a cushy six figure job for the last 40 years. Don't listen to the radio....can't believe he's still on. Does he still read out his own fake gushing reviews....?
    Thats a bit mean, what's he ever done to you?
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Kilgore said:
    Steve Wright didn't invent the Zoo radio format, he pinched it from the USA radio shows
    I know. I was going to edit my post with " first in the UK" but I couldn't be arsed.  :)
    To be fair to him (not that I particularly want to be, but...) he freely admits that he pinched them. Iirc, he once said that he would go back to the US on holiday at least once a year to see what new ideas he could pinch.

Not a brilliant way to earn your living, but at least he was honest about it.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12349
    I haven’t listened to his show for years, I can’t believe anyone else still does either.  Why would you bother with his awful show when there’s a wealth of much better stuff out there on the radio, let alone what you can get via your phone. 
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1018
    edited July 2020
    gordiji said:
    I used to love Diamond Geezer, Mick & Keef, Arnie & all, going back a bit but it was a good afternoon show.
    And don't forget Mr Spoons, Mr Angry. Fun times had by all.
    “Ken sent me.”
    Sid the manager and Gervaise the Hairdresser too
    although Steve looks like he could do with a visit from Gervaise......that beard looks demonic .......Davros with legs .
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    At my last job, I used to hate it when one of the directors was in as he'd always listen to Steve Wright in the afternoon. My God, it was uncomfortable listening. An ego, spiralling out of control, surrounded by sycophants enabling him at every level.

My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12295
    Looks like a rubbish Satanist.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2234
    I loved his shows in the 80s. I should love them now as they are the same. I think he taped  all the radio 1 shows and is playing them in order. Im sure the news the other day reported the sinking of the rainbow warrior.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    At my last job, I used to hate it when one of the directors was in as he'd always listen to Steve Wright in the afternoon. My God, it was uncomfortable listening. An ego, spiralling out of control, surrounded by sycophants enabling him at every level.

No,that's Clarkson
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • danodano Frets: 1591
    edited July 2020
    Strat54 said:

Looks like he''s had a hard life....not a cushy six figure job for the last 40 years. Don't listen to the radio....can't believe he's still on. Does he still read out his own fake gushing reviews....?
    Thats a bit mean, what's he ever done to you?
    For a moment i thought that was Steven Seagal !
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    Dominic said:
    Sid the manager and Gervaise the Hairdresser too
    although Steve looks like he could do with a visit from Gervaise......that beard looks demonic .......Davros with legs .
    Wasn't there a social worker too?

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5845
    He's been doing it for years. I found my old rant thread about him.

:)

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/2015/radio-djs-who-talk-over-instrumental-parts/p1

:3 
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4131
    I would still listen , it would be enjoyable in a boring job , all my radio listening is mainly talk now at night . Poor Steve. Is that him in the photo , wouldn’t recognise him
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    thebreeze said:
    I don't think anyone should be in a job like that for 40 years.
    The one exception to this sweeping generalisation was John Peel.

In my younger days, SWITA was standard workplace fare. In a mechanical engineering fabrication workshop, it makes you glad to use abrasive wheel tools.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    With The Arrow gone music radio has very little to offer me.

I tried listening to Johnnie Walker a while back but he sounded so amateurish I had to turn off.