Steve Wright must be stopped.

What's Hot

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16094
    I used to be in a motorcycle club that he was a guest of and would come out on runs in the mid 80s......I found him really unpleasant ,rude and arrogant .If he hadn't been who he was and connected to some bands that played some of the club functions he would have been hurt .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Dominic said:
    he would have been hurt .
    Yeah, sounds like you hung out with people who were pleasant, polite and humble!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I never listen to it, well, I did hear it for some reason about a week ago so not 100% true. I quite liked it, but then I quite liked him back in the 70s. 
  • In the 80’s I would hear him on the school bus. At the age of nine I knew he was an extremely annoying DJ. At the age of 43 my opinion has not changed one jot. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22791
    I only started reading this thread to see what weird tangents it would go off on.... but no, three pages about Steve Wright.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    Philly_Q said:
    I only started reading this thread to see what weird tangents it would go off on.... but no, three pages about Steve Wright.
    lol Came here for the same reason. I must hold up my hand and say that whatever else he is, his show was the the first show to play my bands single on radio 1 in late 85 ( first prime time rotation ). 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7857
    edited July 2020
    I can’t stand Steve Wright. When I come to power and rule the world, I’m going to Make him illegal. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited July 2020
    dano said:
    Strat54 said:

Looks like he''s had a hard life....not a cushy six figure job for the last 40 years. Don't listen to the radio....can't believe he's still on. Does he still read out his own fake gushing reviews....?
    Thats a bit mean, what's he ever done to you?
    For a moment i thought that was Steven Seagal !
    I thought it was Keith from The Office!
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5752
    Not my favourite DJ and I feel a lot of what’s said here but I will say you won’t find a more impeccable broadcaster anywhere. In all of the thousand years or so that he’s been on the BBC I doubt he’s ever fumbled on air once. Not a missed beat anywhere. A divisive style for sure but an ultimate professional. I really miss Ask Elvis too, whoever that was, they were amazing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    Loved him in the 80's.  Can't stand him now.  Judging from that photo he won't be around much longer.  People who teach that size tend to get off the bus several stops early.

Still...  As has been said, he gets high listening figures so he obviously isn't an annoying egotistical knobhead to everyone.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    Get rid of Wrighty...

...Bring back Mark and Lard!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    dazzajl said:
    Not my favourite DJ and I feel a lot of what’s said here but I will say you won’t find a more impeccable broadcaster anywhere. In all of the thousand years or so that he’s been on the BBC I doubt he’s ever fumbled on air once. Not a missed beat anywhere. A divisive style for sure but an ultimate professional. I really miss Ask Elvis too, whoever that was, they were amazing. 
    I agree with you. I don’t mind him on the odd occasion I chance across his show - and Ask Elvis was extremely funny, for reasons I don’t fully understand.

I don’t generally listen to the radio unless I’m driving but afternoons are nowhere near as good since Radcliffe & Maconie were sidelined to the weekend breakfast show on BBC6 Music. I used to quite enjoy Shaun Kearney on the weekday breakfast show but find him unlistenable in the afternoon slot.
  • richhrichh Frets: 450
    I wouldn't listen, but as somebody suggested that he's a bit of an arse in real life, I have to say that somebody I used to work with, that came across him once, found him to be very nice and helpful.  Then again, we all have good and bad days, just a shame when sometimes you meet a famous person and they are not nice.  You never forget it.  Or if you meet a star and they are really nice, you always remember it, but it probably is a bit random what your experience is?  I've had a few of both experiences and it always leaves an indelible snapshot memory.
  • NorthernGoonerNorthernGooner Frets: 183
    edited July 2020
    The older Dj schtick can work though, especially on Radio 2, my missus listens to Ken Bruce in the mornings to do pop master and I must say he can be very droll and amusing. I know his target audience is somewhat older but there is intelligence 
    and a good deal of professionalism there. He can be very self deprecating which  Wrighty would never be.

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    edited July 2020
    Now HE gets on my tits.  He's like a pervy old uncle who can't stop himself referencing sex every few minutes.

Johnny Walker FTW
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2283
    Could never stand him and I’m gobsmacked to hear he is still around. I only use the Sounds app and for mostly radio4 factual and comedy. I never listen to the radio for music. Spotify fixed that for me. 
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I learned all I know about music from Jimmy Saville, so what do I know?
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Radio 2 depresses me. Its a radio station for people who have given up on life IMO. The epitome of middle of the road, bland shite.
    As for Steve Wright, well he's just an annoying self satisfied twat isn't he? 
    Terrible. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    edited July 2020 tFB Trader
    dazzajl said:

There is a reason for that.

Unlike a lot of the DJs a lot of his live sounding interviews and bits are recorded beforehand and then 'de-ummed" as they call it.

EDIT: I should add in the interests of fairness this will be done on pretty much all pre-recorded stuff by anyone and he is a very skilled DJ compared to a lot of the modern celebrity DJs who are often really amateurish.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    The older Dj schtick can work though, especially on Radio 2, my missus listens to Ken Bruce in the mornings to do pop master and I must say he can be very droll and amusing. I know his target audience is somewhat older but there is intelligence 
    and a good deal of professionalism there. He can be very self deprecating which  Wrighty would never be.

He is genuinely a lovely bloke which I think comes across in the shows.
    I did a project on his studio and he came and had a pint with the engineers and said thank you which pretty much no one else ever did.