NBD: Samick Epiphone Rivoli Copy

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
Picked this up recently. I've since sold on my Mosrite and Ibby Talman short scales and a Dano guitar, so this didn't really cost me anything. I love the single pickup. Medium scale I think. I might get rid of the pickguard. Bridge to be replaced? Not sure yet. Has roundwounds on it, so buzzing up and down, but a set up might fix that. Maybe flatwounds.... I'd be keen to stick some overdrive on this, so not sure if flatwounds would work for that...

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Picked this up recently. I've since sold on my Mosrite and Ibby Talman short scales and a Dano guitar, so this didn't really cost me anything
    <snigger> 
    ;)

Lovely bass. I'd live with the bridge for a while; they get a lot of scorn (esp at string change time) but they actually work quite well 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Additionally, the Samick bridge, studs and inserts are probably Metric whereas top quality replacements might be Imperial.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
    @Funkfingers good to know. I'll live with it. Maybe flatwounds :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3132
    Looks great that, definitely give some flatwounds ago. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23930
    Dunlop flats are particularly good with tone control changes. Thuddy at one end, but work well with some drive with the tone up.

They do medium and short scale versions too. I have them on my 32 scale Ibby and I'm very impressed.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    If you think that bridge is bad you should see the one the 60s EB-2 and Rivoli came with! Two posts only, no individual intonation adjustment and even less distance behind the saddle. The only really problems with the three-post one are that the ball-end wraps still sit on the saddles, which can make the intonation a bit random sometimes, and that the saddles fall out if you break a string. Hipshot do a really nicely-engineered upgrade, but it's not cheap.

Remarkable that Samick used those machineheads - they do fit the vibe of the bass, and they're actually not too bad if you grease them properly inside, but I haven't see them on anything more recent or better-quality than a 70s junk plywood copy before...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

@ICBM any recommendations for replacing the tuners ? Hopefully I didn’t buy junk ! It doesn’t feel like junk. It plays well!
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    ICBM said:

Remarkable that Samick used those machineheads - they do fit the vibe of the bass, and they're actually not too bad if you grease them properly inside, but I haven't see them on anything more recent or better-quality than a 70s junk plywood copy before...

Those machine heads are standard issue on the current Squier Bronco Bass. 
    After playing it, I'm not too sure if hollow body/semi hollow body basses are for me. Maybe if it was short scale it might feel way different. It'll be handy for recording in the meantime, but I feel it will be moved on in a few months! :( GAS!
    @ICBM any recommendations for replacing the tuners ? Hopefully I didn’t buy junk ! It doesn’t feel like junk. It plays well!
    Samick instruments are far from junk. Those tuners are just associated mostly with junk guitars, rather than being that bad. No need to replace them - there's nothing else that exactly fits, and they actually work perfectly well if they're properly greased, which is easy... the back covers come off.

mbe said:

Ah, I remember that now!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• KristoKristo Frets: 123
    That looks cool. What is the actual distance from saddles to nut?
    Kristo said:
    That looks cool. What is the actual distance from saddles to nut?
    From nut to ball end of strings, it's around 85cm/33.4 inches
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    edited July 2020
    After playing it, I'm not too sure if hollow body/semi hollow body basses are for me. Maybe if it was short scale it might feel way different. It'll be handy for recording in the meantime, but I feel it will be moved on in a few months! GAS!
    I know what you mean, unless you're playing country tunes or 60's psychedelic they're a bit limiting. I really like Hofner necks but the Club and Violin basses have a very defined sound. But put the same neck and pickups on a solid body and you have a much more playable and flexible sounding instrument. Also, that mudbucker pickup really defines the sound, not always in a good way.
    Creed_Clicks said:

From nut to ball end of strings, it's around 85cm/33.4 inches
    So 32" from nut to G saddle? Interesting... medium scale. Originals are 30.5".

JezWynd said:

Also, that mudbucker pickup really defines the sound, not always in a good way.
    It's unfortunate that it doesn't have the 'baritone switch' - which is a midrange cut and treble boost circuit, using a cap and a choke - of the originals. That makes them a lot more versatile.

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    I'd gig with that... really like the semi-hollow bass vibe. I think the bridge adds to it to be honest.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    ICBM said:
    Samick instruments are far from junk. Those tuners are just associated mostly with junk guitars, rather than being that bad. No need to replace them - there's nothing else that exactly fits, and they actually work perfectly well if they're properly greased, which is easy... the back covers come off.

mbe said:

Ah, I remember that now!
    I know that because I bought a Squier Bronco recently from Thomann. Those tuners worked fine unlike the truss rod. Unfortunately the neck had a severe forward bow so I reluctantly returned it. Those lititle Broncos have a pristine clarity with the tiny Strat pickup. 
    edited July 2020
    @mbe I had a Bronco for a while as well, and couldn't get the action low enough on it, might have been a similar issue to you. Was a nice little bass for the money though.
    Again, a week in on this, and not sure I'm a hollow man. Other thing is you're playing it and you're hand is leaning down on the pickguard bending it. No biggy, but dunno....

Other thing is you're playing it and you're hand is leaning down on the pickguard bending it. No biggy, but dunno....
    Pickguard? You mean you haven't taken it off already?

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    A DiMarzio Model One pickup would offer up a few more sonic options than the stock mudbucker. Its 4-con + shield output cable is capable of series/single/parallel switching. Partial coil splittage might be the most useful option of all.
    Be seeing you.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Every time I look at the pics of this I like it even more!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom