Learning New Stuff !! How Hard ?!?!? Chicken Pickin' Country - ARGHHHH !!!!

What's Hot
WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
edited July 2020 in Technique
I am 53 years old on Saturday.

Not a bad guitarist, better than most, nowhere near as good as some....

I really want to learn some chicken pickin' stuff, and have got the True Fire lessons.

I really love Jerry Donahue and as I young un, I really  LOVED the Jerry Donahue claw.
It was on a documentary in 1987, called Equinox (I think) and it remains inspiration to me.

This video blew my mind as a kid, but MAN, how hard is some of the stuff ?

Still, I love learning and it's a nice new challenge.

Anyone else get frustrated learning new styles ???

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Frustrated learning any style! 

Various Greg Koch things on YouTube where he goes through his approach to chicken picken and you can get some cluck quite quickly. He assumes you’re approaching it from a blues-rock background so goes this is how you make clucky noises up and down a pentatonic. 
    For country playing it’s the fluidity that gets me, my brain just doesn’t work quick enough. 

I saw Jerry live a few years ago, wonderful playing although also wonderfully grumpy.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Frustrated learning any style! 

Various Greg Koch things on YouTube where he goes through his approach to chicken picken and you can get some cluck quite quickly. He assumes you’re approaching it from a blues-rock background so goes this is how you make clucky noises up and down a pentatonic. 
    For country playing it’s the fluidity that gets me, my brain just doesn’t work quick enough. 

I saw Jerry live a few years ago, wonderful playing although also wonderfully grumpy.
    Cheers mate - I’ll have a look at Greg’s stuff - always good to watch 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8693
    ... For country playing it’s the fluidity that gets me, my brain just doesn’t work quick enough ...
    Don’t learn the individual notes, learn the sequence. Then you don’t think a then b then d then g, you trigger your fingers to play that sequence.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    https://youtu.be/yhE7aLvYLng

I don’t think I’ve watched this one before but he goes through some approaches - first without and then with a plectrum - to getting the chicken thing going and throws in a bunch of other ideas. The idea here really being some simple ideas you can add to what you can already play. 

The whole note choice ‘what would a country player do here’ is a different thing which is where it gets properly complicated ( even over three chords). 
    I’m not much of a country fan but I do like country approaches to other things : Jerry Donahue, Greg Koch, Jim Campilongo, Roy Buchanan kind of school. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    https://youtu.be/yhE7aLvYLng

I don’t think I’ve watched this one before but he goes through some approaches - first without and then with a plectrum - to getting the chicken thing going and throws in a bunch of other ideas. The idea here really being some simple ideas you can add to what you can already play. 

The whole note choice ‘what would a country player do here’ is a different thing which is where it gets properly complicated ( even over three chords). 
    I’m not much of a country fan but I do like country approaches to other things : Jerry Donahue, Greg Koch, Jim Campilongo, Roy Buchanan kind of school. 
    Ill have a watch and knock at that tomorrow... cheers fellow Black Country man !
  • dangriffithsdangriffiths Frets: 569
    edited August 2020
    This is a good one for basic learning - musical examples rather than just noodles

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom