20 debut Rock albums of all time [Rick Beato - YouTube]

What's Hot

Comments

• ColsCols Frets: 6989
    Can’t believe Black Sabbath didn’t even make the list!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    Cols said:
    Yeah I thought that too, I guess they’ll be classed as heavy-metal though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    duotone said:
    Cols said:
    Yeah I thought that too, I guess they’ll be classed as heavy-metal though.
    Aye - but the list seems very broad in its definition of ‘rock’.  NIN, Velvet Underground, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins... and Linkin Park?
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11291
    Rick has said in other videos that if bands block his use of their music he won't include them in his videos. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    scrumhalf said:
    Rick has said in other videos that if bands block his use of their music he won't include them in his videos. 
    Didn’t know that @scrumhalf ;
    but it makes sense
    scrumhalf said:
    Fair enough if you’re doing something like ‘What makes Whole Lotta Love such a great song’; you can’t exactly go “You know what rules?  That bit where it goes ‘DAH!  DAH!  Widdly widdly wee!’” without sounding like Beavis and Butthead.

If you’re just doing a top 20 albums list all you have to do is say “Black Sabbath - incredible debut album, fusing heavy blues, horror lyrics and bonecrushing riffs in a sledgehammer series of songs.  Created a whole new genre in the first three notes on the first track”.  

Being able to play the music is an added bonus.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    Cols said:

If you’re just doing a top 20 albums list all you have to do is say “Black Sabbath - incredible debut album, fusing heavy blues, horror lyrics and bonecrushing riffs in a sledgehammer series of songs.  Created a whole new genre in the first three notes on the first track”.
    This - and not just a genre of music, an entire subculture.

Whatever you think of it musically it's the most important and influential debut album ever made.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Rick needs to get out of his studio a bit more, he gets so wound up by the blocking thing, I can’t handle his videos these days, most are just rants, complete with annoying knee shaking and angry looks to camera - just go for a nice walk in the park Rick, get some air.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 992
    edited September 2020
    Cols said:
    scrumhalf said:
    Fair enough if you’re doing something like ‘What makes Whole Lotta Love such a great song’; you can’t exactly go “You know what rules?  That bit where it goes ‘DAH!  DAH!  Widdly widdly wee!’” without sounding like Beavis and Butthead.

I think you're missing the point. He is refusing to promote those bands on principle, not just refusing to play the music. If they don't want their music promoting on youtube, then he is not going to promote it.
  • dindude said:
    Rick needs to get out of his studio a bit more, he gets so wound up by the blocking thing, I can’t handle his videos these days, most are just rants, complete with annoying knee shaking and angry looks to camera - just go for a nice walk in the park Rick, get some air.

Yep. I find him interesting sometimes, but there's frequently too much old man "in my day" ranting.

Some of his "What makes this song great" videos are fun and informative, whereas others are just "I love this bit where it goes BOWW BOWW BOWW BOWW NANANANANANANANAAA!" while he plays air drums and stares unblinking in to the camera.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• dindude said:

Yep. I find him interesting sometimes, but there's frequently too much old man "in my day" ranting.

Some of his "What makes this song great" videos are fun and informative, whereas others are just "I love this bit where it goes BOWW BOWW BOWW BOWW NANANANANANANANAAA!" while he plays air drums and stares unblinking in to the camera.
    Like most YouTubers driven to create constant content regardless of quality. Having said that I watched his Spotify Top ten video last night which seemed informative and balanced; possibly at his best when offering critical analysis rather than just espousing his personal preferences.   
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22774
    dindude said:

Last night I watched some bloke called The Guitologist ranting on about Beato ranting about blocking.  I hadn't realised blocking was a big issue, apart from a video I saw with Rhett Shull bleating about not being able to use his own solo.

Keiko said:
    Cols said:
    scrumhalf said:

I think you're missing the point. He is refusing to promote those bands on principle, not just refusing to play the music. If they don't want their music promoting on youtube, then he is not going to promote it.
    That would be fine if the title of the vid was “20 debut albums by bands which I’d like to promote”, but it’s not.  It’s “Top 20 debut rock albums of all time”.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just more meaningless click bait.

If RB name-checked lots of your personal favourite artistes, you might well be nodding in agreement and feeling validated. If he omitted lots of your favourites, you might well take the view that he is a biased oaf.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Just more meaningless click bait.

If RB name-checked lots of your personal favourite artistes, you might well be nodding in agreement and feeling validated. If he omitted lots of your favourites, you might well take the view that he is a biased oaf.

Either way you have to watch to the end to find out if he left out the band you like. Then you have to leave a comment to say "Beato you buffoon, how could you leave out The Spunkmuffins?" or "Yay! Not enough people appreciate the wonderful debut album of seminal proto-grunge band Cockwomble. You're so wonderful Rick.". It's all engagement.

• CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    edited September 2020
    Just click it so the man can get a few more pennies.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Just more meaningless click bait.

Either way you have to watch to the end to find out if he left out the band you like. Then you have to leave a comment to say "Beato you buffoon, how could you leave out The Spunkmuffins?" or "Yay! Not enough people appreciate the wonderful debut album of seminal proto-grunge band Cockwomble. You're so wonderful Rick.". It's all engagement.

The spunkmuffins? Pfft I liked their original line up before they got famous and were known as the jizzcakes, but anything they done after that was terrible.
  • underdog said:

The spunkmuffins? Pfft I liked their original line up before they got famous and were known as the jizzcakes, but anything they done after that was terrible.

They were never the same after they fired Pansy Wankpuffin. Amazing drummer.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdog said:

Right? So glad I got to see that classic line-up.

In all seriousness though I recently discovered RB's videos. And I don't like his videos.
    No doubt he's influential and done heaps of work on heaps of influential stuff but he just comes across as a massive snob in his videos tbh.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • underdog said:

Right? So glad I got to see that classic line-up.

In all seriousness though I recently discovered RB's videos. And I don't like his videos.
    No doubt he's influential and done heaps of work on heaps of influential stuff but he just comes across as a massive snob in his videos tbh.

Absolutely. However interesting the content is, it always has to include one of his old man "back in my day"/"they don't make 'em like they used to"/"XYZ ruined rock music" moans.

And as it turns out, he hasn't "done heaps of work on heaps of influential stuff". Just produced a load of mediocre arse-end-of-the-rock-era landfill. 

https://www.discogs.com/artist/739088-Rick-Beato?type=Credits&filter_anv=0