RIP Peter Green

What's Hot

Comments

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4487
    One of the all time greats.  RIP.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7134
    RIP Mr Green. 

I met him with his manager in around 97, was asked if I fancied a jam with him. I bottled it as he was a hero of mine when I was a kid...

Was in awe even though he wasn’t the same man I knew from my father’s records 

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 363
    Aaaah fuck. 
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 851

R.I.P.  One of my big heroes.

I saw him in 1969 with the Mac and in 1970 jamming with Snowy White.  

Early this century I saw him with the Splinter Group but he shouldn't have been on stage that night IMO. 

It was in his fingers.  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 782
     Albatross ; other worldly. So utterly original. RIP
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4087
    Why's everyone got a hard on over how many threads there are?   There are 100000 Gibson les paul threads.

Apologies,  I've been at the rose ...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If you weren't inspired then you weren't listening.

Catch you on the other side Pete.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Why's everyone got a hard on over how many threads there are?   There are 100000 Gibson les paul threads.

Apologies,  I've been at the rose ...
    I’d offer a sensible answer but it’s late and I’ve been on the peroni. 

Short answer - the mods are annoyed at wasting a big chunk of our day moving 27 different posts and merging them here simply because some people can’t follow simple instructions. 
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 392
    edited July 2020
    Just sitting here listening to 'The Best of Peter Green' on CD. Inspirational music and such a talented guy. Happy to have discovered his music many years ago and have enjoyed it ever since. Probably getting into Gary Moore's 'Still got the blues' CD when it arrived in 88 (i think) as a student and the power of the songs last and last. Thanks Peter for some stunning music, tone and vibrato!

• richman6100richman6100 Frets: 336
    Such a sad loss. A wonderful player and one of my heroes. Only got to see him once - well past his best - but an utter privilege nonetheless.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4087
    I don't understand why it matters so much how many threads there are on the same subject.  It could just be like they are breakout rooms  -  different groups of people who feel comfortable chatting with each other.

I get the whole search optimization thing and easy to monitor thing of course. 

Plus, maybe there's a rule I've missed. But just wondering.  :-)
  • AornicAornic Frets: 475
    edited July 2020

The guitar in this hit harder than most lyrics. Not to romanticise a tragedy, but I think he knew he was losing his mind and was crying for help through both his playing and his songwriting - the latter of which Mick Fleetwood wished he had recognised and acknowledged before it was too late.

He was only 23 here. Boggles the mind. RIP to a great.

Edit: Had to try it myself. I can't play like him, but nobody else could either.

• mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    edited July 2020
    Just woken up to this after a largely sleepless night camping. This is really horrible - but really the man we think of as such a masterful player had gone a long time ago unfortunately. His story always makes me feel sad at how crap mental health care was for a long time (and it’s still got a long way to go..) 
    I find so much blues rock stuff interminably dull, even some of the recognised greats that you’re meant to revere. For me he was on a different level - he had something so special - his Fleetwood Mac had brilliantly original songs, wonderful playing and he could really  sing too. 
    Rest well  PG
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14180
    edited July 2020 tFB Trader
    I don't know why I did not hear about this yesterday, so only just picked up on the story and certainly bad news

There are many guitar players who have had a longer career with more albums, tours etc etc - But in many ways part of the magic of Hendrix, Kossoff and Pete Green is that it all happened in such a short period of time - Yet in that time they laid it all out on the carpet and inspired so many other players, then, now and will do so again in the future - Certainly a sad loss to all guitar players - Go rest in peace now Pete and thanks for some of the finest licks, tunes and melodies we'll ever hear
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    edited July 2020
    Guys PLEASE. 

This is the third thread I’ve now moved to Tributes. 

Please look and check that a topic hasn’t been posted before - and please post in the correct sub forum.
    First time I knew there was a section for tributes now that I’ve been directed here. 

Such a shocker but I suppose expected with his health over the years. Such a talent and left an amazing legacy for anyone to be inspired to pick up guitar like he did for me . I’ve seen him play live a couple of times over the past 10 years or so but it was a bit sad to see him really I remember after one show I was able to get back stage and about to shake the great mans hand and have a chat with my hero. Until the drummer darted over to me and pulled me away and said “Peter doesn’t like all that interaction mate”. I hated that drummer for doing that . Drummers eh ;) 

Amazing talent 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • NorthernGoonerNorthernGooner Frets: 183
    edited July 2020
    Many years ago I read a long magazine interview with BB King in an American music magazine.
    BB was commenting on how the British 'invasion' as they call it gave many of the black blues players over there much more exposure as the American kids finally found out about blues players. Him , Buddy Guy Otis Rush etc, and I think it's fair to say that some of them started to make a good living then rather than just being club circuit musicians, honourable though that be..
    He was mildly complimentary about the British players but did admit that the only one who gave him  anything near sleepless nights was Greeny.  No more 'Jumping at shadows'. RIP.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    Aornic said:

The guitar in this hit harder than most lyrics. Not to romanticise a tragedy, but I think he knew he was losing his mind and was crying for help through both his playing and his songwriting - the latter of which Mick Fleetwood wished he had recognised and acknowledged before it was too late.

He was only 23 here. Boggles the mind. RIP to a great.

Amazing. Never heard that clip before. Such timing, fire, dynamics and emotion. It’s all there. And only 23 you say. Where did that stuff come from? He’s definitely lived before 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Sad news, he could have been bigger than Clapton imho 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    Not much to say that hasn’t already been, but I’ll just add that he’s one of the reasons I love reverb so much. It seems trivial compared to the rest of his touch and phrasing, but he really did make it sound so musical.

RIP :(.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Weird, i was only playing Albatross on the guitar last night, then came onto the internet to find out Peter had passed.

Great player R.I.P Peter Greenbaum