Bear Guitars - Unofficial Thread

What's Hot
Hi everyone,

A few weeks ago I came across a brand called “Bear Guitars”. It’s run by a luthier called Andrew, based down in Dorset. He’s been making some really unique rustic takes on existing well known designs, as well as some of his own, often using local woods.

On top of that, they’re very reasonably priced. He’s currently offering a simple but customisable T-style model using interesting woods for around £650, with more advanced/involved commissions starting at around £850.

I’m not affiliated at all in any way, I just thought they’re making some cool stuff so wanted to bring it to your attention. I’ve recommended that they join in the community here, so at some point there may come an official thread.

The website is https://www.bearguitars.co.uk/buy-guitars , and their Facebook page is very active: https://www.facebook.com/Bearguitars
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7069
    edited July 2020
    Cheers for that- I bought an amp off of Gumtree from this chap a few year back and he took me out to his workshop to test it - there were bits of guitars all over the place , he came across really well and obviously loves what he does.

He isn't far from me at all and I love the idea of buying local when I'm next after a guitar, but I'd hate to go down there and try his guitars and not find one I like, I'd be embarrassed tbh and the way  chop and change I'd have to be sure

Anyone got one who can give me some reassuring feedback ?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    They're certainly interesting, however something just doesn't look quite right to me,  rough around the edges springs to mind.. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    They're certainly interesting, however something just doesn't look quite right to me,  rough around the edges springs to mind.. 
    Same thoughts here when I checked them out at the Northampton guitar show. Looked too “rustic” like it was built without templates and a straight ruler.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’m offering to build really organic, natural, pure guitars, Dorset woods, 2 knobs, choice or mix of 4 different pickups, choice of fingerboard and headstock. Great tones, really immersive and responsive, Hand built with all the usual Bear love.......c’mon guys. http://www.bearguitars.co.uk/
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4085
    Like a boutique version MDP
  • Hey @Bearguitars! Firstly, it's great to have a UK builder on board, and using local timbers no less. I love the look of some of your guitars. 

However, you may find more engagement on the Made in UK forum. Although the rules here are very lax, there are those who look down upon adverts from those who do not contribute elsewhere - I think it would be wonderful to follow a bearguitars build thread, from timber to finished piece, in a thread in made in UK or even making and modding.

I love the body you've done multiple streaks of colour on... Was that dead wood for demo or was it made into a guitar? Or is a photoshop I missed? :) 
  • Do like! 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 693
    The shape on this isn't really my thing, but the colour and woods on this are magnificent. Incredible work, mate: https://www.bearguitars.co.uk/bear-retro-guitars/bzxwet7n5p7maa38bbl2b3xty9xrxf

• Thanks for the various thoughts and comments. The multi coloured sample was streaks of wood dye, then French polished. I make guitars that honour the wood, and id agree a couple of years ago I was still mastering every element, but still, I felt , producing interesting guitars. I know that the quality has gone up over the last year or so, along with the relentless creativity. About half my work was commissions, pre Covid, that has changed the game a lot, I suspect for many luthiers, hence trying to find an engaging and attractive idea without compromising the rest of my work. I’ve spent 4 years mastering French polishing, and that, along with a range of colour tinted shellac’s, has allowed me to take the whole colour work, and the finishing of the fine grain woods, to another level. If anyone wants to pop over I can happily explain more, and if there wasn’t the ideal guitar, I often find it’s a springboard for a custom build. I love working with Dorset woods, and I’m sourcing more and more, recently finishing a Pippy Oak 28” baritone, super slim and carved, outrageous grain. Any questions please feel free to get in touch . Cheers
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    edited July 2020
    Do like! 

Thats a perfect example of what I love and very much dislike about these builds, the organic shape is beautiful, but the cutouts/"F Holes" look to be cut by eye - arent symmetric and dont match each other (The grooves at the ends look like the tool slipped) - if the shape could be married with some accuracy/symmetry in areas that need it, I would be interested in one. 
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • In this case I deliberately didn’t want them to match, the right hand one follows the scratchplate. It is, as always, a question of preference, but I’m more than happy to make one with a pair that Are symmetrical 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    This stuff is fantastic. Love the originality and love that Andrew is using reclaimed bits here and there and not just wood - pickups and hardware too sometimes if it's higher-end/vintage and suits the build. Can see how the designs are maybe going to sometimes be controversial but it's a great range and seems to be getting better all the time.
  • Agree, I really like these. Completely different to everything else on the market, and I love the idea of home grown materials. 
  • enteeentee Frets: 93
    edited October 2020
    @Bearguitars /Andy, built from scratch, following some rather dodgy measurements supplied by my good self, a unique semi hollow electric baritone ukulele, in the style of a Gretsch 6199 Thunderbird.  I ABSOLUTLEY LOVE IT.  Tapped mini humbucker for power, it has great tone, but is playable unplugged too.  Note to self; you still haven't done photos of it.
    Andy is a very helpful guy and willing to take on crazy builds like mine 
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
  • I should start by being honest. Until recently, I used to demonstrate Bear Guitars at various guitar shows and also on line. But as a professional guitarist since 1996, having used almost every major brand of guitar, I must say that I soon sold them all and now use Bear Guitars exclusively...I couldn't ever go back to using something 'off the shelf' again. It's an amazing experience to start a discussion about what your dream guitar might be and then see it take shape, day by day, by a passionate artist, whose intuition is a guarantee that you will be thrilled with the outcome. I don't work for Andrew at Bear Guitars anymore, since I've now moved a long way away from Dorset and I don't have any financial interest in the business. But three years down the line, I love the instruments that he made me more and more and if my work ever demands another guitar, I'll be banging hard on the door of the Bear Cave Workshop again.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JeroJero Frets: 3
    Can't beat the originality. I've just ordered one!