NPD Effectrode Tube Drive

What's Hot
shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
There seems to be not a great deal of information on here about these pedals so I thought I would spend a bit of time and put something together. 

After reading up a little about tube based drive pedals and taking a look at the list of users I thought id take the plunge and try one out. I spoke to @Gassage who pointed me in the direction of this pedal and Monday became more expensive than I thought it would. 

I had no real preconceived ideas about how this pedal would work or interact with amps or other pedals so I found this quite a fun process of trying it out. 

First impressions are that its got a clarity to the drive sound that seems less processed than a pedal. It doesnt colour the sound as much as most of the pedals I have tried. It doesnt have a mid hump and the tone control is genuinely responsive. Whats interesting is that to me it feels a little like playing through a tweed style amp in that the tone control seems to be a bit of a gain control, as is the volume dial. 

I have recorded to sloppily played videos to show how the pedal interacts with different amps. One a Marshall 2104 and the other a Fender Vibroverb 63 RI.  I will post those on following comments so you can hear for yourself how it sounds. 

Has anyone else on here got one of these?  
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BradBrad Frets: 659
    I own a number of Kingsley valve pedals and really want to try one of these once the finances allow it. 

I definitely agree regarding the clarity of sound. This might make no sense but they are just more ‘there’, like a real second channel of my amp.

I don’t say they sound better, solid state pedals sound great too. But to me, they definitely feel better.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    Fender Vibroverb

Marshall 2104

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Brad I am yet to have a go with Kingsley pedals but I have been told that they are fantastic.

Too true, they are not better. Actually i would say they are totally different but as you said they are like having a second channel rather than stepping on a pedal. 
  • @shaunm I've been wanting to try one of these for ages and your clips sound fantastic. 
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    shaunm said:
    @Brad I am yet to have a go with Kingsley pedals but I have been told that they are fantastic.

Too true, they are not better. Actually i would say they are totally different but as you said they are like having a second channel rather than stepping on a pedal. 
    Great playing and tone! You’ve sold it to me :smile:

Yeah Kingsley are great, check some out if you ever get the chance. Shame I’ve not tried any Effectrode to compare for you but I’m sure someone here has though. 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    love the playing @shaunm ...proper :)   same standard as KIngsley but a different voice imo
    Well Brad, we should try to organise some sort of get together and get all the local lot together. Call in @Hattigol and @AlexO ;

Thank you all for being kind re playing.
    shaunm said:
    Well Brad, we should try to organise some sort of get together and get all the local lot together. Call in @Hattigol and @AlexO ;

Thank you all for being kind re playing.
    That sounds like a plan!
    I thought I’d give an update on the pedal. 

I tried out a few different valves in it

12ax7
    12av7
    12at7
    12au7

Somewhat strangely I prefer all of them over the 12ax7 it came with (JJ). My favourite is the av7, it’s now incredibly amp like to the point where it feels exactly like a second channel of an amp instead of a drive pedal. Now I think the pedal is utterly unique over any of the drive pedals I have tried. Again, not better as I love a lot of drive pedals but totally different. 

I got to use it in the studio this week and this is how it plays with a fuzzface (the Phil Robinson Phuzz) 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDbqqdZllal/?igshid=1beqw96454zhs
  • *Aaron**Aaron* Frets: 73
    That’s interesting about the valves Shaun. 
    I nearly brought one of these, but got the blackbird instead. Really happy with it. I have not tried any other valves yet. Think I will order some.
    The tube drive sounds ace. I would like to try the fire bottle. They are not in stock at the moment. 
    Thanks for posting that up. Hope to see some more sounds off it if you have the time.
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1342
    Effectrode stuff is top notch.. I'm slowly collecting them all but it's a somewhat expensive endeavour..

Glad you like it!

Si
  • shaunm said:
    I thought I’d give an update on the pedal. 

I tried out a few different valves in it

12ax7
    12av7
    12at7
    12au7

Somewhat strangely I prefer all of them over the 12ax7 it came with (JJ). My favourite is the av7, it’s now incredibly amp like to the point where it feels exactly like a second channel of an amp instead of a drive pedal. Now I think the pedal is utterly unique over any of the drive pedals I have tried. Again, not better as I love a lot of drive pedals but totally different. 

I got to use it in the studio this week and this is how it plays with a fuzzface (the Phil Robinson Phuzz) 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDbqqdZllal/?igshid=1beqw96454zhs
    Sounds amazing, Shaun, beautiful playing too.

• ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    Effectrode stuff is top notch.. I'm slowly collecting them all but it's a somewhat expensive endeavour..

Glad you like it!

Si
    I like Phil’s stuff as well. He was kind enough to make me number 6 of a special edition Tubevibe pedal. He originally made only 5. I was a bit slow getting in contact with him. He had enough of the particular parts he was using for the edition to make me a pedal - I just didn’t get the special edition purple pouch.
  • What are your thoughts on the tube vibe, @ArchtopDave ?

• The GAS is strong with this one! Just watched some Joe Perkins demos and I think it might actually be what I'm looking for high gain wise too, some of the sounds he's getting with a humbucker remind me of a typical Marshall style crunch, which is exactly what I'm looking for, for my Hi-Tone. What do you think @shaunm?

• As an update, I got the Tube Vibe in the end and I'm very thankful to have that opportunity to try it. I'm absolutely over the moon with it! I've updated my Effectrode post with my early thoughts - https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/177951/npd-effectrode-leveling-amplifier