Danelectro DC3 Silver Sparkle Value?

What's Hot
WayfarersAllWayfarersAll Frets: 53
edited July 2020 in Guitar
Hi,

I got this DC3 in near mint condition which I want to sell but not sure of the current value? Can't see any that have sold recently on ebay. Couple for around £400 on Reverb but I'm not sure what's a fair price to ask? Anyone shed some light on it, not too much though it sparkles like mad!!!!

https://i.imgur.com/VqSvgxf.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That is cool af! Not worth much though; probably around the £7/£8 mark I reckon. Tell you what though, as a fellow fretboard I'll give you a tenner for it, how's that?

In seriousness though, there don't appear to be any on eBay that don't need importing; so by the time you factor in the taxes etc, £400 seems like a bit of a bargain from what I can see. I'm sure someone who knows more about these guitars will be along with a more informed opinion
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• I like Danos. If that's a late 90s/early 00s Korean one it's probably very nice indeed. I had a Convertible which I sold and very much miss, it had a great neck, loads of figuring on it, and it had it's own sound that nothing comes close to. Made all the worse by the fact that the woman I sold it to was a hoarder whose house was full to the ceiling with damaged old crap. She didn't play either but just liked the look of it. I knew it was only going to be heading to a bad place...

Anyway...

Prices have always been a bit all over the place. I got a U2 off ebay some years ago for £90-something which was a total bargain. I think I bought the Convertible for £350ish and sold it for about £300 3 or so years ago.

I don't think it'd be unreasonable to expect somewhere between £300 and £400 for yours, perhaps towards the mid/upper end of that estimate.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes it's a '99 Korean. Build quality is excellent and sounds mean, unplugged or amplified. Every time I pick it up I think "why do I want to sell this??!" but I don't really play it that often. Also the neck is kinda thin (not profile, topside to underside) which is fine actually but takes a bit of adjusting to. I sound like I'm trying to come up with reasons to sell and justify keeping it at the same time!

Thanks for the info. I suspected the value fluctuated a lot with these. That's certainly more than I paid for it so tempting to sell. 

I like your Joe Walsh avatar pic Simon!  :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    I'd say £350/370
  • Yes it's a '99 Korean. Build quality is excellent and sounds mean, unplugged or amplified. Every time I pick it up I think "why do I want to sell this??!" but I don't really play it that often. Also the neck is kinda thin (not profile, topside to underside) which is fine actually but takes a bit of adjusting to. I sound like I'm trying to come up with reasons to sell and justify keeping it at the same time!

Thanks for the info. I suspected the value fluctuated a lot with these. That's certainly more than I paid for it so tempting to sell. 

I like your Joe Walsh avatar pic Simon!  :)

That's interesting... It's a picture of me done in teletext that my mate did... I can definitely see the Joe Walsh likeness now you mention it though (with that pic - I definitely don't look like him in real life!!)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    I've got this in black sparkle. In fact it's my second as I regretted selling the first so much. It's really the best Danelectro reissue in that it doesn't have the weight or deadness of recent production and has proper low-output lipsticks unlike the bland modern variants.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Very nice. I had the original single-cut version which I ended up giving to the singer in my band at the time...

I would say £350 (private) to £399 (shop) sounds about right.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• timhulio said:
    I've got this in black sparkle. In fact it's my second as I regretted selling the first so much. It's really the best Danelectro reissue in that it doesn't have the weight or deadness of recent production and has proper low-output lipsticks unlike the bland modern variants.
    The black sparkle one was the one I was after really! Or the green. But this one came along and couldn't avoid buying it. I think it's called silver sparkle but it's kinda gold/silver in the flesh. Maybe there was a proper silver one as well. 

Yeah it really is a nice guitar. Pickups are great. I prefer low output so they suit me fine and have bags of character. 

Now I've seriously thought about selling it I am leaning towards keeping it. It could do with a setup, couple of high frets need sorting. 

Has anyone done the intonation themselves on a Dano?? Looks like a right nightmare. 

Has anyone done the intonation themselves on a Dano?? Looks like a right nightmare. 
    Total piece of cake... loosen the screw that locks the saddle down, move the saddle until the intonation is right, lock it down again. If the screw is too tight to loosen easily, back off the saddle height screws by a half turn first, then raise them again once the screw is loose.

The one thing never to do is try to raise the saddles once the intonation screw is already locked down - that can snap the screw head off.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• I see. Just looks like a faff cos the string runs over the screw head. 

I'm obviously over thinking it! 
    I see. Just looks like a faff cos the string runs over the screw head. 

I'm obviously over thinking it! 
    You might need to slacken the string to get at it, although it can remain unlocked until you're finished so you should only have to detune and retune twice.

Think yourself lucky it's not a Floyd Rose ;).

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Never had one thankfully!
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    timhulio said:
    Now I've seriously thought about selling it I am leaning towards keeping it. It could do with a setup, couple of high frets need sorting. 

Here's mine. It is a very specific sort of sound, so I've not really played it much in recent years. FWIW the silver sparkle looks cool too. I like the neck feel and the radius is unusually flat. Hmmm, might dig it out of the cupboard. 

• Looks great in black. Bit more understated than the gold silver!!!  :o It definitely has a sound all it's own. 
  • I have one of those Jeff Senn t-syle replacement bridges but have yet to fit it to a Dano U1 reissue. I did replace the wooden bridge with an allparts 6 saddle one on a Dano 59, and it was fine.