Resonator tunings ..........open G or open D , and why?

What's Hot
10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427
edited August 2020 in Acoustics
Just got my first resonator ( metal bodied BTW )  ,with a view to learning some slide , but ......... open G or open D??

How to decide?
 I only want to learn using one open tuning, but which one do I go for.
How did you decide and why ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    edited August 2020
    What's the reason for just learning with one tuning? It's not twice as hard to do both G and D because you can play the same stuff just one string over, and once you've learned a couple of signature tunes in each tuning, you'll know your way around well enough.

If I was only allowed to use one it would be D because I like how certain melodies are available on the top string, and I can play open G style licks in open D more easily than I can play open D style licks in open G but seriously I'd never limit myself and wouldn't advise you to either.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 366
    I acquired a resonator about four years ago and have experienced the same dilemma. I have been playing for about 45 years (40 at that point) and learning a new tuning felt like hard work. I guess I am a fairly lazy technician and happy in my old habits. Anyway I decided I just had to pick one and get on with it and settled on open D because the root is there on the lowest string and available for that left hand thumb picked rhythm stuff - which I haven't really mastered yet. Also because of Derek Trucks although he is in open E but that's what capos are for. Kind of depends on what you want to play. If you search for songs on open D and G, Youtube tutorials etc you will get a sense of what folks play in each tuning. Enjoy!
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • There's a very good resonator-based forum run by Michael Messer you might find useful. If nothing else, you'll learn a lot about the blues :) So far as your question is concerned, I don't think there's a 'better' key. (In fact there are many more tunings in use than these two.) Just find a tune you like and then learn how to play it. There are masses of free lessons on YouTube. If you're into old-style blues, Daddy Stovepipe and blah148 are two I've found very useful, and Jirkakrbe2 is just a brilliant listen.
  • I also struggled with this but settled on the standard GBDGBD that is commonly referred to as dobro tuning.  I'm into blues more than bluegrass and had to dig for resources but have found some great ones, they do cost money but it's not much considering the knowledge and enjoyment I get.  Here's some links I found very useful and informative(which I have no affiliation with).  

Troy Brenningmeyer  https://www.lessonswithtroy.com/  Some great delta blues

Jimmy Heffernan on Truefire   https://truefire.com/search/?q=essentials%20-%20blues%20dobro%20solos

Shane Akers  shaneakers.com

If bluegrass is your thing  https://www.homespun.com/dobro/  Homespun has some excellent courses by Cindy Cashdollar and Stacey Phillips.

Also this free forum has a resonator guitar tab library that has some good tabs, (but a lot of old broken links).  https://www.resohangout.com/

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    I have an electric resonator here that I keep in DADGAD... no absolute reason for it other than when I pick it up I just tend to play stuff that sounds good to me in it.
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 396
    Depends what you're going for. I would suggest open G for country blues. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    On acoustic guitars I’ve always enjoyed messing around with tunings and find I can alternate between them pretty easily.

Generally I use open G on my resonator - but sometimes use open D. There really is no reason to limit yourself to one tuning.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    If you're really set on just one tuning, then may I suggest you listen to these two songs:

1) Terraplane Blues - Robert Johnson
    2) You Got To Reap What You Sow - Tampa Red

1 is full of signature open G (or open A)  licks, 2 is full of signature open D (or Open E) licks. Go with whichever one is closest to what you're after. And if you can't decide, learn both!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 366
    Lewy said:
    If you're really set on just one tuning, then may I suggest you listen to these two songs:

1) Terraplane Blues - Robert Johnson
    2) You Got To Reap What You Sow - Tampa Red

1 is full of signature open G (or open A)  licks, 2 is full of signature open D (or Open E) licks. Go with whichever one is closest to what you're after. And if you can't decide, learn both!
    Really helpful post for us non standard newbies. Thank You
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • I went with open G on my resonator but that's because I wanted to play the intro to Telegraph Road, Wild West End etc and that's what Knopfler uses.  Then again I've used open D on my regular acoustic and prefer that to open G for composing stuff.
  • moremore Frets: 230
    edited August 2020
    I would chose  open G .  It sounds good and used by the  Stones on most of  their  slide tracks . it is also  used  lot by another of my  favourites, John  Fahay . It was also  used by Country blues players like Mississippi John Hurt and Buddy boy Hawking only played in G .    
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 911
    On the whole, I personally find open D suits me better for noodling and composing but I learnt blues slide by watching Youtube videos and just used whatever tuning (primarily open D and G) the particular song/piece I was watching was in.

My thinking was - why restrict myself to one tuning and miss out on some great tunes?

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    rather than fuss over the tuning i would concentrate on playing and perfecting your slide on individual strings.....its all about control and feel imo
  • 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427
    Wow , some good advice and helpfull links here guys , I have joined the MM forum , and found a wealth of stuff on youtube (actually hard to figure out where to begin there is so much , so I'm just bouncing around having fun trying to learn some technique )
    Just for context I'm 60 and never tried any slide before now ,so I feel like I need to be cracking on, and not waste time learning stuff in different tunings and changing my playing to suit , (I'm also lazy ).
    I'm sticking with open G for now because it sounds great, ,and it's how the guitar was set up when it arrived ...
    .... told you I was lazy,  lol.
    Of course when I begin to find my feet  , everything I've just written may go out of the window, who knows , but for now I'm just having fun learning something new (and awesome sounding when I get it right ).

Hmmmm ...maybe I should set up an old acoustic in D......... 3