Eq pedal instead of acoustic preamp?

What's Hot
lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
I want to try and get my acoustics with piezo pickups to sound more natural. I have a number of options like the LR Baggs or Fishman pedals but they are expensive. Would adding an eq pedal at the end of my board be a better option?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72317
    It will help, but you’d probably be better with a dedicated acoustic resonance emulator like a Boss AD-2 or TC Bodyrez.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631
    Piezo pickups generally need an even higher load impedance than the 'Magic Meg*' Five, better 10 meg Ohms or they sound rather 'thin' and bass light.
    I am not aware of any pedals with such a high input impedance (aka 'Z') but ICBM or other might. Some mixers, notably the A&H zed range have 10 meg inputs.

*Magnetic pups are not usually THAT fussy and many devices have an input Z of half a meg, even a quarter and peeps don't notice. Peizos (Ah there seems no right spelling according to Ms!) I understand are different?

Dave.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    The Zoom acoustic pedals are decent and cheaper than the Fishman and Baggs options.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631
    Found this. https://www.boss.info/uk/products/ad-2/
    Has the 10M input Z and Boss have always had a good name. Thomann also have a vast range of acoustic guitar pedals I was surprised to find.

Dave.
  • ecc83 said:
    Has the 10M input Z and Boss have always had a good name. Thomann also have a vast range of acoustic guitar pedals I was surprised to find.

Dave.
    Thanks. Will have a look on Thomann.  Not quite sure why acoustic pedals are so expensive 
  • ecc83 said:

Dave.
    Thanks. Will have a look on Thomann.  Not quite sure why acoustic pedals are so expensive 
    It's do with the rare tonewoods they use to make them.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The more expensive a thing is the better. That's why you always buy the second cheapest bottle on the winelist.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    A good outside shout is the Award Session GG10. It’s discontinued so eBay is your best bet. I had one and it did a good job taking that artificial piezo zing away. Very flexible preamp/ eq.