Gibson Lukas Nelson '56 Junior model

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22739

We get the same old arguments.  A Strat or a Tele are "just two bits of wood bolted together".  A Les Paul Junior is "just a slab of wood with a pickup".

£1,500 is not a lot for a US built guitar nowadays.  That's just a fact.  No-one is forcing anyone to buy one if they think it's too expensive.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • JotaJota Frets: 463
    That guy has one of the best guitar tones I ever heard (I know taste is subjective).
    I saw some pics Gibson posted on Twitter and thought it had too much red. That photo looks so much better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    Looks great and the price is similar to the regular junior so that’s nice.   

As far as I can see though it’s just offering different knobs and colour from the regular models - unless I’m missing something?

I would love to see the cheaper tribute models have normal features - a single pickup slab body with no fancy stylings would be a great low cost model. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22739
    John_P said:
    As far as I can see though it’s just offering different knobs and colour from the regular models - unless I’m missing something?

It's got different - more vintage-looking - tuners, apparently with a higher gear ratio.  And the top of the bridge is contoured for better intonation (like a MojoAxe bridge).  Also the pickup is Alnico III.

I assume those are all different from the current regular-production model.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    MikeS said:
    Here's a clip of Lucas and his LPJ, watch it through if you can, as he gets a tasty tone from it.

Nothing beats simplicity.

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll be having one of those thank you.

I enjoyed that, thanks for posting it. I'd not seen of any of his solo stuff but I was a little familiar with a few tracks where his band were backing for Neil Young and he can play for sure.

For the video above, the sound crew did a superb job.
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    edited August 2020
    Philly_Q said:
    John_P said:

It's got different - more vintage-looking - tuners, apparently with a higher gear ratio.  And the top of the bridge is contoured for better intonation (like a MojoAxe bridge).  Also the pickup is Alnico III.

And a satin finish, which I happen to prefer over thicker gloss nitro.

The specs look good to me - there's nothing there which would put me off buying one, if they end up being priced relatively similarly to the regular new Juniors.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2758
    Was the house band in the Lady Gaga “Star is Born”, and I think might have written most of the songs .
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4692
    Doesn't he sound like his dad :)

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • bodhi said:
    Philly_Q said:
    John_P said:

The specs look good to me - there's nothing there which would put me off buying one, if they end up being priced relatively similarly to the regular new Juniors.
    Probably cheaper to apply, too... Yet a premium charge. 

This looks like the cheap alternative for now. Actually great value! Appreciate its in a sale, so actually the sig in question hardly has an up charge against current models at rrp to be honest - just an alternative. This is a cheaper model but double cut, compensated bridge and thin nitro satin finish. 

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/190319340834008--gibson-les-paul-junior-tribute-dc-worn-ebony?gclid=CjwKCAjwsan5BRAOEiwALzomX7PwhQM7Ugu1opQJZyNEwjfca5cZAC-GeCazx0dUC8-wBdyYPgBn3RoCVXQQAvD_BwE
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2512
    rlw said:

Indeed he does. I'd never heard of him until he opened at Clapton in Hyde Park. I walked in and thought... this guy sounds like a young Willie Nelson and then the penny dropped when I read the line up! Also what blew me away instantly was his tone from that Jr. 
  • bodhi said:
    Philly_Q said:
    John_P said:

And bigger frets and a chunky neck profile
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    edited August 2020
    So, between us, we've ascertained that it's differences are...

1. Alnico Pickup
    2. Aged hardware
    3. Compensated Bridge
    4. It's not overpriced
    5. Engraved Trussrod cover
    6. Satin finish
    7. Thicker finish
    8. A 3-tone sunburst satin thicker finish
    9. Different knobs
    10. Bigger Frets
    11. Chunkier Neck
    12. I would imagine it comes with a special hard case.

I was always in, now more-so.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    edited August 2020
    I heartily agree, except for "thicker" finish.  I assume you mean thinner.

I'm totally in on this one.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5405
    edited August 2020
    bodhi said:

I think they do mean thicker.

Gibson describes it as "high build" and it's meant to "simulate years of patina."

It's kind of a poor man's VOS I guess.
  • MikeS said:
    So, between us, we've ascertained that it's differences are...

1. Alnico Pickup
    2. Aged hardware
    3. Compensated Bridge
    4. It's not overpriced
    5. Engraved Trussrod cover
    6. Satin finish
    7. Thicker finish
    8. A 3-tone sunburst satin thicker finish
    9. Different knobs
    10. Bigger Frets
    11. Chunkier Neck
    12. I would imagine it comes with a special hard case.

I was always in, now more-so. 
    Agreed, though I'd go to Ivison or Eastman first.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    rlw said:

Indeed he does. I'd never heard of him until he opened at Clapton in Hyde Park. I walked in and thought... this guy sounds like a young Willie Nelson and then the penny dropped when I read the line up! Also what blew me away instantly was his tone from that Jr. 
    Oh wow I must have seen him and then totally forgotten in that case lol. Seems like an age ago now post covid
  • JotaJota Frets: 463
    Still like the look of the new one over this version but I believe it may be closer to the original sunburst that was awful even on 60's strats...
    vs

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:

We get the same old arguments.  A Strat or a Tele are "just two bits of wood bolted together".  A Les Paul Junior is "just a slab of wood with a pickup".

£1,500 is not a lot for a US built guitar nowadays.  That's just a fact.  No-one is forcing anyone to buy one if they think it's too expensive.

Compared to the other models in Gibson line, compared to PRS s2 models etc. Also in line with my thoughts. Outside of the rest of world built instruments guitars long separated from the price being particularly tied to material and labour costs so much as being tied to what people can pay.

So long as there’s decent guitars at each price point (and there is right now) I’m at peace with this. The Tribute jr linked earlier is a guitar I’d personally feel more than happy gigging at the dog and duck (both on sound quality and because I remember gigging some right shit holes where sensible advice would be to only bring what you may not miss), likewise the Fender Player series right now are the American standard of 5 years ago.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5405
    Just saw the part about how they are only making 200 of these for the world... suspect it’ll sell quickly as it appears to be about the best Junior you can currently buy considering the small tweaks. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Whitecat said:
    bodhi said:

I think they do mean thicker.

Gibson describes it as "high build" and it's meant to "simulate years of patina."

It's kind of a poor man's VOS I guess.
    Yeah, I'm assuming they just spray more and don't bother buffing or polishing - nice satin sheen with less work required.