Is there a band that you have followed forever and still love?

What's Hot

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    edited August 2020
    I still love most of the same stuff as I have for years but mainly RATM, Soundgarden, Pantera, Mastodon, Alice In Chains (yes the DuVall stuff too), Clutch.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22731
    Wis for Foo Fighters. I know some find them bland, but the songwriting and live quality has been there from day 1 and recent records have still been decent.  

Ah, Foo Fighters!  Possibly the only current rock band known and loved by people who don't like rock music, led by a man liked and revered by virtually everyone, from tiny tots to grandparents!

I like Dave Grohl too, but... I can't stand his band any more.  The first few albums were great, but then they seemed to settle into a formula of re-writing the same two or three "quiet-bit-loud-bit-catchy-bit-anthemic-bit" songs over and over again.  I wish they'd do something different.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 230
    The Cult - from southern death cult to today
  • MolemanMoleman Frets: 133
    edited August 2020
    scrumhalf said:
    I really wish that I could follow most of the bands I like but death or retirement have taken their toll.

I've also found that with many older bands their latwr albums steadily lose fire but they are still great live.

Man were a tremendous live band (the Jones Leonard Ace Williams lineup particularly) but I would swap many of their albums for a live recording of some of their nights at the Torrington when they were little short of outstanding. 
    Might I suggest that if you like Man then you check out Son Of Man (led by son of Micky, George Jones)? Most inspired Man music I’ve heard either on record or live for years (and that includes the current, Martin Ace led version of the band).
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    sw67 said:
    Oooh yes them too! Going back to edit my post!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Wishbone Ash - never saw them in the 1970’s at their height but being a ‘Mojo magazine man’ that got all this secondhand decades after the event, have greatly enjoyed watching both the Andy Powell led, WA and especially the original, founder member, Martin Turner ex-WA. Both WA bands have continued to tour extensively.

The late, great John Martyn - again, never heard a note until around 1990 or so. Ridiculously underrated and uncelebrated even now. 
    sw67 said:
    Got to love The Cult!!
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    Philly_Q said:
    ICBM said:
    scrumhalf said:
    I've been a fan of Deep Purple since Machine Head came out. There have been lengthy periods of no product and poor product but in their prime they were brilliant. 
    I've tried, but I just haven't liked anything that wasn't done by the Mk2 or Mk3 line-ups.

Would you include the 1980s albums by the re-formed Mk2 lineup?  I thought they were OK. 

I have several of the albums with Morse (and latterly Airey) but I've only played them once or twice each.  I've always found Gillan's voice and - even more so - his lyrical style a bit irritating, but he gets worse as he gets older. 

I prefer Mk 1 to Mk 3, I'm no fan of Coverdale and Hughes (the self-styled "voice of rock and roll") made it worse. The reunion stuff was too tame, Ian Paice seemed to be missing. Then they turned into Rainbow and were awful.

Perpendicular was a good album buy I've not been impressed by much since. But let's face it, when your past includes In Rock, Fireball and Machine Head you'e going to have a struggle to get close to them.

Yes, I like Deep Purple Mk1 as well.  But I am a fan of Mk3, perhaps even more than Mk2 - I really like the combination of Hughes and Coverdale on those albums, although I can't stand anything either of them has produced in the last few decades. 

I like the funky songs too, even though Blackmore probably hated them.

• Deep purple and rainbow were my first music I owned , didn’t really get interested in any of the Steve morse stuff, nothing against him though . Graham bonnet band sound good ,still singing great and got joe stump on guitar who I like 
  • A few bands that have stayed with me for a long time:

Iron Maiden
    Led Zeppelin
    Black Sabbath
    The Gathering
    Paradise Lost

The new Paradise Lost album is my most listened to album of the year by far. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    Philly_Q said:

Would you include the 1980s albums by the re-formed Mk2 lineup?  I thought they were OK.
    Yes, I've got both of them - perhaps surprisingly I actually prefer The House Of Blue Light. I also went to see them on that tour, having missed the Perfect Strangers one. One of the best gigs I've ever seen.

I don't have The Battle Rages On, although maybe I should, since that's the last re-formed Mk2 album... I think I didn't like it though.

viz said:

Like what? Big Thing and Liberty? (I’m guessing coz I can’t remember who’s in what)
    No, Medazzaland and the rather aptly-named Pop Trash - although I checked and that didn't come out until 2000.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Lots of interesting comments, but a lot of people didn't get my original post! More likely I didn't explain properly ...

I was referring to bands that are still going (so you are still following them), and bands that were your very top tier of personal appreciation. Lastly, bands that you have loved all of their output.

Oh well, never mind. It's still interesting.
  • Still the Stones :)
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    edited August 2020
    axisus said:
    Lots of interesting comments, but a lot of people didn't get my original post! More likely I didn't explain properly ...

I was referring to bands that are still going (so you are still following them), and bands that were your very top tier of personal appreciation. Lastly, bands that you have loved all of their output.
    If it doesn't have to be from since I was a child, then Garbage and Crowded House would qualify on that set of criteria.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4774
    axisus said:

Oh well, never mind. It's still interesting.
    Based on your OP, it would be The Darkness for me, loved every album they've released along with Stone God's and Hot Leg. Yes there are some tracks I would skip but in the main there's little they've done I wouldn't listen to.

Metallica are the other band that can do no wrong in a sense, but as I said before, their music from 2003-2011 was pretty terrible. Death Magnetic has some highlights but allowing Rick Rubin in and brickwalling all their tracks made it too tiring to listen for any length of time. Hardwired was a real return to form for me and vindication of sticking by them even through the shit stuff.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    The only musician who I've followed for decades and always found something worthwhile is Michael Schenker.
    Even his very dodgy middle period had stuff which I've loved and still play.
    He is still producing material which I enjoy.  So musically I'm on the same page as his creative ideas -- I get what he's about.
    I've also seen lots of interviews with him and I find it difficult to understand his outlook on his experiences.  I'd probably have to get to know him better! 
    I'm not likely to have to worry about that. 
    So I'm good with his playing and how much I've enjoyed it. 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3820
    edited August 2020
    Radiohead all day. Not just because I live in Oxfordshire. I wobbled when they went in a new direction, but now I'd much rather listen to their newer stuff than The Bends. Genius.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3059
    mrkb said:
    The Black Crowes and their various offshoots
    This. Marc Ford in particular for me.. obsessed with him and Rich basically. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

edited August 2020
    Grunfeld said:
    I've also seen lots of interviews with him and I find it difficult to understand his outlook on his experiences.  I'd probably have to get to know him better! 
    He's a strange bloke.  Seems to think everyone's out to take advantage of him, has quite an elevated opinion of his own abilities and he has a weird relationship with his brother.  I like (some) of his music a lot but I'm not sure I'd like him personally very much.  That said, the first MSG album was what made me decide to start playing guitar.... not that that ever got me very far!