Is there a band that you have followed forever and still love?

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22515
    A few bands that have stayed with me for a long time:

Iron Maiden
    Led Zeppelin
    Black Sabbath
    The Gathering
    Paradise Lost

The new Paradise Lost album is my most listened to album of the year by far. 
    Gosh, you're the only person to mention Black Sabbath.  But I suppose they're not still going... or are they?

I've got everything they ever released, apart from the last couple of live albums/DVDs which I never got round to.  And I do still love them, although there have been a few missteps along the way.  Probably called it a day at the right time though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10643
    ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:

Would you include the 1980s albums by the re-formed Mk2 lineup?  I thought they were OK.
    Yes, I've got both of them - perhaps surprisingly I actually prefer The House Of Blue Light. I also went to see them on that tour, having missed the Perfect Strangers one. One of the best gigs I've ever seen.

I don't have The Battle Rages On, although maybe I should, since that's the last re-formed Mk2 album... I think I didn't like it though.

viz said:

Like what? Big Thing and Liberty? (I’m guessing coz I can’t remember who’s in what)
    No, Medazzaland and the rather aptly-named Pop Trash - although I checked and that didn't come out until 2000.

Ah ok! Awesome stuff :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • dtrdtr Frets: 1037
    There's not many bands where I like everything they've done.

Pavement
    Gillian Welch
    Califone (& Red Red Meat before that)
    Hiss Golden Messenger
    Charles Mingus
    Prince Jazzbo
    Curtis Mayfield

I'll post this just because...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 531
    The Cult

Loved them since I was a teenager back in the early 80s. I think own pretty much every single and Album they've ever produced and seen them live over 20 times.

The Black Keys

Discovered them by accident almost 20 years ago..I used to follow an unsigned band from New York on Myspace and they had Black Keys live bootleg recording on their myspace page playlist. They are the only other band that I have purchased a physical copy of all their albums and still do. Dans solo albums and side project The Arcs was also great.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    • The Beatles
    • Sex Pistols 
    • The Jam

• HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 533
    Always loved, and still (just about) going. Has to be UFO.
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 584
    The Monochrome Set.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5111
    Lloyd Cole
    John Mayer

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    tone1 said:
    Lloyd Cole
    Certainly, although I didn't mention him first because he's not a 'band' as such... but then I said Neil Young anyway :).

Rattlesnakes remains one of my favourite two or three albums ever recorded, and probably always will.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5325
    I've long ago stopped being completist in terms of buying every release of favoured artists, but I still love:

- Motorhead from all eras
    - Hawkwind (although less familiar with output over the last 20 years, so maybe doesn't count)
    - Black Stone Cherry
    - Theory of a Deadman
    - Shinedown
    - Sisters of Mercy (bit of a cheat, seeing as the lazy shit hasn't released anything new in 30 years)

I also still isten to loads of stuff that I loved in my teens, although the strength of that affection may have dwindled slightly.

I want to include AC/DC but in truth I loved everything with Bon Scott, and after that have been less bothered, even though there are some belters in the Brian Johnson years.

• westfordwestford Frets: 553
    Manic Street Preachers for me. I did go off them a bit c. Know Your Enemy / Lifeblood / Send Away The Tigers, preferring their earlier stuff, but then I hit my 30s and found a new appreciation for those albums.

New JDB solo album out next week :)
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    Tool and Karnivool 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22515
    edited August 2020
    Snags said:
    I also still listen to loads of stuff that I loved in my teens, although the strength of that affection may have dwindled slightly.

This is very much the case for me, although the dwindling applies to some things and not at all to others.

I often think about bands who've been going for 30 or 40 years and are still releasing albums.... go to see them live and they'll play one or two new songs, but the bulk of the set will be classics.  No one - fans or band - believes, deep down, that any of those new songs will ever be seen in the same light as the old ones.

And with the albums, I'll still buy the new ones, play them once or twice then forget them and keep playing the old stuff.  But is the new material really that much worse than the old?  1970s albums by most bands were generally pretty patchy, with a handful of "filler" tracks, but I grew to love those tracks and still do - I'm not just kidding myself that I like them.  But my mind isn't capable of going through that process to accept the new material in the same way.

Do bands go through a magical period, usually in their early years, which they can never recapture?  Do fans go through a period where they just connect with a particular band in a way which lasts, but can't be repeated?  Maybe it's just part of the ageing process, part of your brain is still 15 years old and always will be.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    Snags said:
    I also still listen to loads of stuff that I loved in my teens, although the strength of that affection may have dwindled slightly.

This is very much the case for me, although the dwindling applies to some things and not at all to others.

I often think about bands who've been going for 30 or 40 years and are still releasing albums.... go to see them live and they'll play one or two new songs, but the bulk of the set will be classics.  No one - fans or band - believes, deep down, that any of those new songs will ever be seen in the same light as the old ones.

And with the albums, I'll still buy the new ones, play them once or twice then forget them and keep playing the old stuff.  But is the new material really that much worse than the old?  1970s albums by most bands were generally pretty patchy, with a handful of "filler" tracks, but I grew to love those tracks and still do - I'm not just kidding myself that I like them.  But my mind isn't capable of going through that process to accept the new material in the same way.

Do bands go through a magical period, usually in their early years, which they can never recapture?  Do fans go through a period where they just connect with a particular band in a way which lasts, but can't be repeated?  Maybe it's just part of the ageing process, part of your brain is still 15 years old and always will be.
    That’s a very very interesting  idea 
  • Some of my favourite bands are those who are still making new music I really love. For example the latest Paradise Lost record is fabulous. When bands are just about their ancient back catalogue is where I become less interested.

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1467
    Boromedic said:
    Loads but in the main:

Metallica
    Iron Maiden
    The Darkness
    REM (appreciate they're no longer with us)
    Third Eye Blind
    The National
    Zeppelin

I could list more, but Metallica are my all time faves, even though St Anger, Death Magnetic and Lulu tested my patience!

I cannot abide what Stephen Jenkins has done to 3EB. Their first two albums are masterpieces, and to a lesser extent Out of the Vein. But the beating heart that helped give the group its unique sound, Kevin Cadogan (one of the reasons I play guitar), being kicked out of the band for absolutely no reason was piss poor form, and they’ve not managed to capture what the first two albums bought with any of their recent stuff (imho, of course) 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    joneve said:
    Boromedic said:
    Loads but in the main:

Metallica
    Iron Maiden
    The Darkness
    Third Eye Blind
    The National
    Zeppelin

I could list more, but Metallica are my all time faves, even though St Anger, Death Magnetic and Lulu tested my patience!

I cannot abide what Stephen Jenkins has done to 3EB. Their first two albums are masterpieces, and to a lesser extent Out of the Vein. But the beating heart that helped give the group its unique sound, Kevin Cadogan (one of the reasons I play guitar), being kicked out of the band for absolutely no reason was piss poor form, and they’ve not managed to capture what the first two albums bought with any of their recent stuff (imho, of course) 
    I agree 100 percent, but I still follow them and saw them play in London in 2013 as a result. Kevin is a genius and the Axl Rose isms of a certain Mr Jenkins have always pissed me off. Self Titled and Blue will always have a permanent place on my life's playlist. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    I'll go with Warrior Soul, first time I saw them they were supporting The Almighty and Alice in Chains at Brixton academy, what a line up.
    I saw every gig I could get to around then, shook Hetfields hand at the warm up WS did before they opened up Donnington 96.
    Some of their best stuff has been the later albums with only Kory Clarke remaining of the original line up, and the only music I have bought this year is the 2020 remastered version of the spin off band Space Age Playboys, which dropped through my door yesterday, honestly sounds amazing for a 23 year old record.
    Criminally under rated band, and the album they recorded as a fuck you to Geffen when they had been screwed over, Chill Pill, is probably in my top 10, with Pistols, Zeppelin, GnR, seriously great album.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1561
    axisus said:
    Lots of interesting comments, but a lot of people didn't get my original post! More likely I didn't explain properly ...

I was referring to bands that are still going (so you are still following them), and bands that were your very top tier of personal appreciation. Lastly, bands that you have loved all of their output.

Oh well, never mind. It's still interesting.
     Guided By Voices

Many different eras since the late 80s, but the recent run of albums is prolific and still surprisingly strong.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1467
    Boromedic said:
    joneve said:
    Boromedic said:
    Loads but in the main:

Metallica
    Iron Maiden
    The Darkness
    Third Eye Blind
    The National
    Zeppelin

I agree 100 percent, but I still follow them and saw them play in London in 2013 as a result. Kevin is a genius and the Axl Rose isms of a certain Mr Jenkins have always pissed me off. Self Titled and Blue will always have a permanent place on my life's playlist. 
    Blue is absolute perfection from start to finish as far as I’m concerned. 

Out of the Vein is interesting to me, as some of the hooks and melodies are VERY KC-esque but he obviously has no writing credits. I’ve asked Kevin whether any of the songs contain any of his ideas, but he’s said he has never heard the album. But I’m convinced Jenkins has used ideas that may have come out of previous recording sessions (especially on things like Faster, Crystal Baller etc)