Oil City Black Knight and Scrapyard Dog Plus

What's Hot
Hi all,

I'm planning a build and was intending to use the classic combo of Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and Jazz in the neck, but I'm considering trying Oil City pickups instead. I contacted Ash at Oil City and he suggested a Black Knight in the bridge and Scrapyard Dog in the neck. 

Does anyone have experience of these two pickups? What did you think of them? Do you have any experience as to how they compare to the Duncans?

And if anyone has any clips of these I'd love to hear them!

Thanks
Ernie
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 200
    Ha ha! I was going to ask Ash the same thing! Good you got the answer and no, I cannot help as I am in your boat. ;-)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    I have a Scrapyard Dog Plus for the bridge/Treble position. It worked nicely in an elderly Ibanez HSS guitar, in combination with two Route 66 single coils.

I have no experience of the SYD neck/Rhythm position humbucker.

I purposely draw no direct comparisons between Duncan and OCP models. Obviously, there will be some overlap in capabilities. Ash has probably unwound enough Duncan JB humbuckers to know how to clone them but chooses not to. 

I have some audio clips of the SYD+ but, as mentioned earlier, they are bridge position on a screw-on neck, solidbody body, fixed bridge guitar. My recordings will not help much if you are building a set neck or semi-hollow instrument.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tat2dsteshTat2dstesh Frets: 193
    I've got a SYD+ on a gibson SG, was nice with a A5 magnet but the inherent thing about SG's sounding a little thin and bright I decided to put a A8 mag in it and it really filled out the sound and made it sound much meatier. I thought the SYD+ had a Duncan custom feel with a bit more mids and tighter bass.
  • I don't have these pickups, but you can rely on oil city to deliver extremely good pickups that are every bit as good as any other custom winder out there. 
  • Thanks all. @OilCityPickups do you happen to have any samples of these pickups? I'm pretty confident I'll be going with them but it'd be nice to hear what they sound like first :) especially if you have recordings of them in a PRS style set neck.
  • 4string4string Frets: 33
    tFB Trader
    Thanks all. @OilCityPickups do you happen to have any samples of these pickups? I'm pretty confident I'll be going with them but it'd be nice to hear what they sound like first especially if you have recordings of them in a PRS style set neck.
    Hi, we don't have any sound samples as we have never been able to settle on a recording and production approach that we are happy with. Everything from amp choice to mic choice and placement cause discussion... And I am sure we would not have thought of recording samples on set neck, through neck and bolt on neck guitars either :-) If you have questions, please ring Ash in the workshop and he will be able to answer them for you.
    Chief Bottle Washer @ Oil City Pickups.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 912
    I have the SYD+ sets in two guitars - a 1990 PRS CE24 and an Eggle Berlin Pro. Some of the best sounding pickups I've ever heard and far better than the Duncan JB (which I've had in a few guitars and really don't like). Not tried the Black Knight though.