Find-chord site

What's Hot
I have amassed over the years numerous chord books./charts which show how to play certain chords. But, there are often times when I play a chord and don't know what it is.
Is there any site or app where you can mark finger positions and it'll tell you what chord you're playing?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    If you learn the major scale and the notes of the fretboard this won't be necessary.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pigfacepigface Frets: 213
    You could try this one. Needs Flash, though ...

https://www.jamplay.com/tools/guitar-chord-finder/
  • jamesjames Frets: 50
    I found this one a while ago https://jguitar.com/chordname
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Not *exactly* what you're after, but very useful...scales, chords etc. What @octatonic said is the best approach though!

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?scch=B&scchnam=Lydian&get2=Get&t=0&choice=1

• octatonic said:
    If you learn the major scale and the notes of the fretboard this won't be necessary.
    I appreciate that's the ideal (and I'm getting there) but whilst that will tell me if it's an add9 chord for example, how will I know if I'm playing a diminished etc?
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10402
    octatonic said:
    I appreciate that's the ideal (and I'm getting there) but whilst that will tell me if it's an add9 chord for example, how will I know if I'm playing a diminished etc?
    If you learn a scale then you can play any chord just by using the numbers. So think of Cmaj being C1, D2, E3, F4, G5, A6, B7 and then make a simple triad chord using the root, third and fifth so C, E, G and then add whatever embellishment you want using the numbers ... so if you want to add a sixth look at the numbers and add an A to you Cmaj 

To play a diminished chord lower (flatten) the 5th note so in our example above change the G to an F#
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for that - really useful
  • vizviz Frets: 10690
    Danny1969 said:
    octatonic said:
    If you learn a scale then you can play any chord just by using the numbers. So think of Cmaj being C1, D2, E3, F4, G5, A6, B7 and then make a simple triad chord using the root, third and fifth so C, E, G and then add whatever embellishment you want using the numbers ... so if you want to add a sixth look at the numbers and add an A to you Cmaj 

To play a diminished chord lower (flatten) the 5th note so in our example above change the G to an F#

(That last bit applies if the C chord were a C minor chord by the way; so from C Eb G to C Eb Gb. 

With Danny’s example of C E F# that’s major 3rd and an augmented 4th. 

Just in case you were wondering)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26565
    james said:
    I found this one a while ago https://jguitar.com/chordname
    This is the one I use - particularly useful for modes and the like.
    <space for hire>