My quest for THE Guitar has ended successfully and unexpectedly

What's Hot
AmigoAmigo Frets: 119
edited August 2020 in Acoustics

Having decided that electrics are not for me, I wish to settle on only one acoustic guitar, but which pleases my soul.

The sound I am after is the sound of my first guitar many years ago, a no-name dreadnought with awful action and narrow neck, but which sounded divine. It had a full, round, mellow sound, beautiful when played gently. You could feel the whole guitar body resonating when playing, even when fingerpicking. That is what I am after.

I have tried a few guitars lately, and the one that was closest to what I wanted was a Yamaha FGX5. The only downside of that guitar was the neck shape. Something was not right. I had an E1SS, which I sold to a fellow fretboarder, and that neck was perfect, if only too narrow. The guitar also needed to be played a bit harder than I tend to, but otherwise excellent.

With the lyrical part out of the way, I would very much appreciate suggestions of guitars I should be looking for that provide:

- A nut width larger than the standard 1”11/16—that was the main issue with my E1SS

- A dreadnought shape—maybe a smaller guitar would do too?

- It seems that it has to have mahogany in it, probably with a Sitka top—or something similar?

- The Yamaha I tried had a torrefied top—maybe that helped too in the sound it made?

- A round, even, mellow sound when played gently—definitely not bright

- Warm resonance of the body at low playing levels

With the experience available in this forum, maybe someone can guide me in the right direction(s) to finding what I am after? Budget-wise I want to get the cheapest guitar that would give that sound, and I will wait to save for that budget, rather than rushing to buy one that is ‘almost’ there. I do not gig, this will be my only guitar, for my own pleasure, so it has to give me pleasure

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    edited August 2020
    It had a full, round, mellow sound, beautiful when played gently. You could feel the whole guitar body resonating when playing, even when fingerpicking. That is what I am after.
    This is just what decent acoustics are like. Basically once you get over about the 1200 mark you should expect everything to have that quality. Obviously some specific guitars might not, but generally once you get into "proper" acoustic guitars this is the best thing, for me. There's little better than sitting late at night fingerpicking really softly and having the guitar just sing back at you.
    - A nut width larger than the standard 1”11/16—that was the main issue with my E1SS
    - A dreadnought shape—maybe a smaller guitar would do too?
    - It seems that it has to have mahogany in it, probably with a Sitka top—or something similar?
    - The Yamaha I tried had a torrefied top—maybe that helped too in the sound it made?
    - A round, even, mellow sound when played gently—definitely not bright
    - Warm resonance of the body at low playing levels
    You've just described the Martin D18. It's a classic for a reason. The current "Standard" ones have a 1 3/4" nut width and all of them sound fantastic. 

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/standard-series/d-18/

If you're going to a shop to try, it's probably worth trying an D28 and OM as well just to confirm 100% you don't prefer them, but if you liked the FG5X then the D18 is basically the originator of that dreadnought template - sitka spruce over mahogany back & sides with an ebony fretboard.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • AmigoAmigo Frets: 119
    Thanks, @stickyfiddle, for confirming some of my initial findings. Once I got the Yamaha specs and started looking around I inevitably got to the D18. I also read that the D-18 since 2012 have a wider 1.75" nut. I need to find one to try, though, and right now, due to the COVID situation, is not that straightforward, and the stocks are not what they used to be, seems to me.

Of the others I looked into—but did not try—were Guild acoustics. Taylors I tried were way too bright and somehow sterile to me, if that makes sense. I was thinking of an Eastman E6D (maybe-TC?), but they are nowhere to be found either.

Brilliant start to the thread, many thanks!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    edited August 2020
    Yeah, I haven't tried the others you mention but my #1 acoustic is a Martin HD28 and the best guitar I ever played was a 1940's D18. They're just bloody brilliant guitars.

I had a Taylor 214 before this which was "hifi" and very nice, but not on the same level of depth and complexity, then a Gibson Dove which was awesome and strident but physically very big and had a slightly strange neck profile (very flat & wide). Then this HD28 came along and I fell in love. I'd definitely like another Dove at some point, but once you're hooked on the Martin thing you tend to stop looking at others...

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • EppiEppi Frets: 10
    A Martin D18 is what I would recommend also, or a 00018 if you want something a little smaller in body. I think they cost about the same.
    You will need a good set up, so it would be helpful if you knew what neck relief you want and what action you prefer; unless you are comfortable doing this yourself.

Mansons have a D18 and did a lovely set up on the 00018 I bought from them a while back.
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    D18 also
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    Here it is.

• the_butlerthe_butler Frets: 107
    If you liked a Yamaha try something from the LL series
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 730
    tFB Trader
    @Amigo I can get you an E8D Eastman available in about 10 days if you were interested. 
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    If you are looking for nice response at lower playing level/you play softly do try a Cedar-topped guitar
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    If you liked a Yamaha try something from the LL series
    I had looked at them, but they have Engelmann spruce, which is said to be brightest of them all. Moreover, I remember trying a couple of LL guitars a few years ago in a PMT and they did not speak to me. But thanks for the suggestion.
    @Amigo I can get you an E8D Eastman available in about 10 days if you were interested. 
    Thank you very much, I appreciate it, but the E8D has rosewood back and sides, which I think will not be as good for me as the mahogany. Also, I want to try the guitar before I buy it, and the distance makes it rather difficult... :)
    Found it!
  • And the lucky guitar is...a... ?
    edited August 2020
    :) It is an Eastman E8D-TC. Rosewood, I know. @WindmillGuitars will have something to say about that. And torrefied top. But I felt that I needed to try it, and I did, and I took it home with me.

I also tried a number of Martins in a few shops—piled up the mileage today, but I thought I’d better be in the car with the aircon on then at home, baking—including a D18 and I was underwhelmed. They don't seem to speak to me. I can see why people would like them, but not for me. Of others I tried, the E1D was close, but not quite there. The E2D DC was lovely to play and the sound was excellent, but the mids were completely missing in action. Taylors were oh-so-sparkly. On a whim I said "let’s try the E8D-TC" and I did. And I took it home.

There doesn't seem to be much online about E8D-TC. I also watched a comparison on YouTube between an E10D and an E10D-TC right before I went to the shop, and the -TC version was noticeably more open, it sounded brighter, so I said "then the E8D-TC probably not for me".

I will come back with a NGD when the light is better, but it sounds and feels beautifully, not to mention it looks stunning. I take great pleasure in playing it, and the fingers suddenly find their place on the fretboard very easily. The action initially was a bit odd, which they acknowledged and took it to be adjusted in the workshop, and they brought back my dream guitar. :)

More details to follow in the coming days, but a happy chappy here. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Two days in, a change of strings, and love it even more. Very complex sound, very versatile. This is definitely a keeper.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18379
    Amigo said:
    Two days in, a change of strings, and love it even more. Very complex sound, very versatile. This is definitely a Kemper.
    FTFY  ;)

Glad you are a happy bunny :+1: 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    Amigo said:
    :) It is an Eastman E8D-TC. Rosewood, I know. @WindmillGuitars will have something to say about that. And torrefied top. But I felt that I needed to try it, and I did, and I took it home with me.

I also tried a number of Martins in a few shops—piled up the mileage today, but I thought I’d better be in the car with the aircon on then at home, baking—including a D18 and I was underwhelmed. They don't seem to speak to me. I can see why people would like them, but not for me. Of others I tried, the E1D was close, but not quite there. The E2D DC was lovely to play and the sound was excellent, but the mids were completely missing in action. Taylors were oh-so-sparkly. On a whim I said "let’s try the E8D-TC" and I did. And I took it home.

There doesn't seem to be much online about E8D-TC. I also watched a comparison on YouTube between an E10D and an E10D-TC right before I went to the shop, and the -TC version was noticeably more open, it sounded brighter, so I said "then the E8D-TC probably not for me".

I will come back with a NGD when the light is better, but it sounds and feels beautifully, not to mention it looks stunning. I take great pleasure in playing it, and the fingers suddenly find their place on the fretboard very easily. The action initially was a bit odd, which they acknowledged and took it to be adjusted in the workshop, and they brought back my dream guitar. :)

More details to follow in the coming days, but a happy chappy here. 

I've been underwhelmed by almost all of the Martins I've tried. I know they invented the designs, but the world has moved on
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 730
    tFB Trader
    @Amigo - Delighted you chose an Eastman! They really are great guitars

The torrefied top models where not actually meant to hit the UK market but a couple of them have made their way to a few of us dealers. I've an OM on order which should arrive soon which I'm really looking forward to testing.

Health to enjoy - and welcome to the #IPlayEastman crowd!

Simon @ WG
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Amigo said:
    Two days in, a change of strings, and love it even more. Very complex sound, very versatile. This is definitely a Kemper.
    FTFY  ;)

Glad you are a happy bunny :+1: 
    Thank you, @Kittyfrisk. That might make me a jumper for the Kemper.
    @Amigo - Delighted you chose an Eastman! They really are great guitars

The torrefied top models where not actually meant to hit the UK market but a couple of them have made their way to a few of us dealers. I've an OM on order which should arrive soon which I'm really looking forward to testing.

Health to enjoy - and welcome to the #IPlayEastman crowd!

Simon @ WG
    Thank you, @WindmillGuitars. It is peculiar, as apart from a couple of dealers in the UK I could not find any reference to the E8D-TC. The page on Eastman's website is well hidden. I don't know which year they were made or released, what was their intended market, and how many have been made. They are not a LTD edition, like my old E1SS has been, although they seem to be more limited than that. Any other information you could share about them, publicly or privately?
    ToneControl said:
    I've been underwhelmed by almost all of the Martins I've tried. I know they invented the designs, but the world has moved on
    What is interesting is that the E1SS LTD I had was not at the same level of quality as the E8D-TC, in my perception, but neither was the price. The E1D and the E2D CD I tried, though, were comparable in quality with the E8D-TC, although at a lower price point. Go figure!

I agree with you that the Martins seem to be overrated, although I have only tried new guitars. Older ones may be different. What my experience shows is that there are real gems lying about from various manufacturers that are in no way inferior to the big boys, and even better them in quality, not to mention price. This quest was an eye opener for me.