String tree placement - does it bother you?

What's Hot
I'm a traditionalist, so as far as I'm concerned there's only one place to put a Strat string tree, and that's in-line with the A tuner. For a Tele, it can be either in the same place, or in-between the D and G tuners. It irks me a little when I see Custom Shop Fenders that have the string tree out of whack with the traditional placements, and to me it smacks of sloppiness. Am I mad, or are there others out there who share my (admittedly very anal) point of view?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3840
    I know what you mean, but if it's providing a good break angle and the nut has been cut to accommodate that angle, it doesn't bother me too much. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    Placement not so much, but if it's too close to the nut *and* too low it does.

But what really looks (and in my opinion is!) wrong, is no tree - even with staggered tuner posts, it's rare that it doesn't affect the tone or sustain of the top strings not to have one.

I have a trick with staggered posts - fit a tree but swap the G and B tuners. Like this...

That keeps a nice break angle on the G, and in fact gives roughly the same angle on all six strings.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 990
    I find the missing spacer troubling.  If the "tree" sits on the face of the guitar without a spacer the break angle's too steep.  It's a cheap and easy fit that screws up the guitar, so why's it missing so often?
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13940
    I find the missing spacer troubling.  If the "tree" sits on the face of the guitar without a spacer the break angle's too steep.  It's a cheap and easy fit that screws up the guitar, so why's it missing so often?
    Historical accuracy?

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I'm planning building myself something Tele'ish but It will have a 4 + 2, or 3 a side headstock.  Avoids the need for string trees entirely.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3840
    crunchman said:
    I'm planning building myself something Tele'ish but It will have a 4 + 2, or 3 a side headstock.  Avoids the need for string trees entirely.
    Tempted to flag this.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom