CONGRATULATIONS! BCD is now gone.

What's Hot
digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26559
edited August 2020 in Off Topic
Well done to all the assholes who thought it'd be a good idea to push the boundaries of what the modmin team will put up with. You've finally pushed it to the point where I've had enough of dealing with a bunch of adolescents, so it's just no longer worth carrying on with.

From this point forward, if anybody creates a thread which would ordinarily have gone in BCD anywhere else in the forum, they will be summarily banned. No pleading with them to behave, no warnings, just...banned.

You wanted to see what would happen...this is it.

Brilliant work. I'm sure you're all proud.
<space for hire>
2reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 28reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• adaminoadamino Frets: 125
    edited August 2020
     =) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    edited August 2020
    I can quite understand why you've done that, and it's your forum, your rules. Just wondering, though, if it wouldn't be better just to pull topics or comments that go beyond boundaries and ban posters rather than the whole sub forum?

I say this because there are a few instances where posting on a publically private part of the forum has been cathartic for people with problems, who may not want the world to see those problems on a public part of the forum?

Mental issues, marital issues, bereavement, etc spring to mind, for example.

But, obviously, your call, and the mod job is a thankless one, as I know to a lesser extent, doing that job in the past on a football forum, and that was a piece of cake compared to this.
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4308
    That’s a shame. Although recently it had become Attention Seekers ‘R’ Us

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26894
    DB1 said:
    I can quite understand why you've done that, and it's your forum, your rules. Just wondering, though, if it wouldn't be better just to pull topics or comments that go beyond boundaries and ban posters rather than the whole sub forum?

I say this because there are a few instances where posting on a publically private part of the forum has been cathartic for people with problems, who may not want the world to see those problems on a public part of the forum?

Mental issues, marital issues, bereavement, etc spring to mind, for example.

But, obviously, your call, and the mod job is a thankless one, as I know to a lesser extent, doing that job in the past on a football forum, and that was a piece of cake compared to this.
    I tend to agree with this. I do think this aspect of BCD had real usefulness. Could we not just ban the shit-stirrers instead? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26559
    DB1 said:
    I can quite understand why yo've done that, and it's your forum, your rules. Just wondering, though, if it wouldn't be better just to pull topics or comments that go beyond boundaries and ban posters rather than the whole sub forum?
    No, we've tried that and it doesn't make a blind bit of difference. There are too many people (and one in particular) who's decided that it's their mission to push us as far as we can go. We do this "job" in service to the community, and having our time constantly wasted by dickheads who think it's a fun game to act like ever-increasing asshats is wearing in the extreme.

So it's bye-bye to BCD, and everybody loses out because of those people. No more hand-wringing and long conversations behind-the-scenes at all.

It may come back, if folk can actually behave like grown-ups. I doubt it, though.
    <space for hire>
    I tend to agree with this. I do think this aspect of BCD had real usefulness. Could we not just ban the shit-stirrers instead? 
    Quite right, it was very useful to a lot of people. Banning the shit-stirrers is like an eternal game of whack-a-mole, though - as pointless as it is unending.

If anybody objects, then take it to PM with the culprits. Maybe a bit of mob justice will do the trick where modmin actions have failed.
    <space for hire>
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    You'd have to name the offenders. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26894
    Quite right, it was very useful to a lot of people. Banning the shit-stirrers is like an eternal game of whack-a-mole, though - as pointless as it is unending.

If anybody objects, then take it to PM with the culprits. Maybe a bit of mob justice will do the trick where modmin actions have failed.
    I can understand that, tbh. I just wonder if some heavier ban-hammering might actually be a better deterrent. We'll see - I certainly don't blame you for wanting an easier life. I'd be happy to assist if extra mods might lighten the burden at all - I'm sure many others would too.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    I do understand. As you say, it's a service, it's not actually your job, and on forums there's a tendency to forget that with some posters. I do wonder whether it wouldn't just be easier to ban posters that you feel are trying to push your buttons though?

I do think that there's room for a specific place for people with problems to go for help or just to 'talk' about difficult things with virtual friends and still remain anonymous to the world at large.

I'm a relative newcomer to the forum but have been struck by how friendly, caring and helpful the forum has been for people in trouble emotionally - or even financially- and it's a shame if the actions of a few spoil that.

Call me Dave.
  • Tex MexicoTex Mexico Frets: 1196
    Frankly I think you all rather missed the point.

Cordoning off a section of the forum like BCD (in a subsection called "parody", I would add) was the opportunity to have a part of the forum that would accordingly be far less strictly moderated than the rest of the forum. The only moderation effort needed would have been to make sure it didn't spill out into other areas of the forum and to kill anything illegal or whatever.

Instead you continued to attempt to moderate BCD on the same basis as the rest of the forum, which completely negated the idea of having a cordoned-off section where people could go to be weird. And crucially, to discuss difficult things privately with, what for some users, are the only friends they have.

If it's too much hassle to moderate then fine, do whatever you want, but don't make other people responsible for your unwillingness to deal with it more constructively.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
    Frankly I think you all rather missed the point.

Cordoning off a section of the forum like BCD (in a subsection called "parody", I would add) was the opportunity to have a part of the forum that would accordingly be far less strictly moderated than the rest of the forum. The only moderation effort needed would have been to make sure it didn't spill out into other areas of the forum and to kill anything illegal or whatever.

Instead you continued to attempt to moderate BCD on the same basis as the rest of the forum, which completely negated the idea of having a cordoned-off section where people could go to be weird. And crucially, to discuss difficult things privately with, what for some users, are the only friends they have.

If it's too much hassle to moderate then fine, do whatever you want, but don't make other people responsible for your unwillingness to deal with it more constructively.
    I think you'll find I understand the idea of BCD perfectly well, being as I was one of the people responsible for its creation.

When people start creating threads specifically to piss the modmins off, that's where I draw the line. That's not an "attempt to moderate BCD on the same basis as the rest of the forum" (although you yourself have somewhat misunderstood what BCD's for, but that's a conversation I can't be arsed to have right now).

The alternative at this point is simply turning the whole fucking forum off and walking away. What would you prefer?
    <space for hire>
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    edited August 2020
    ADMIN EDIT: Nope, we're not going back to that conversation.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    Sad times, I've had some of the best laugh out loud moments reading things in there. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Tex MexicoTex Mexico Frets: 1196
    I think you'll find I understand the idea of BCD perfectly well, being as I was one of the people responsible for its creation.

When people start creating threads specifically to piss the modmins off, that's where I draw the line. That's not an "attempt to moderate BCD on the same basis as the rest of the forum" (although you yourself have somewhat misunderstood what BCD's for, but that's a conversation I can't be arsed to have right now).

The alternative at this point is simply turning the whole fucking forum off and walking away. What would you prefer?
    The rules said "put sex threads in BCD" I put a sex thread in BCD. If I misunderstood anything it was because it wasn't explained clearly enough. 

I know what you intended BCD to be for. What I mean is you didn't seem to grasp that making a "sin bin" section but then trying to moderate it like a normal section is exactly what causes people to start baiting moderators.

It's your forum, you do what you want with it.
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1172
    Sledgehammer and nut.  Just ban the nuts.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    If only the same blanket ban could apply to football threads.
    The number of times I've clicked on seemingly interesting thread titles only to find they're about sodding football!#*!#!

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom

The rules said "put sex threads in BCD" I put a sex thread in BCD. If I misunderstood anything it was because it wasn't explained clearly enough. 

I know what you intended BCD to be for. What I mean is you didn't seem to grasp that making a "sin bin" section but then trying to moderate it like a normal section is exactly what causes people to start baiting moderators.

It's your forum, you do what you want with it.
    You seem to be under the impression that this thread is about your thread. It isn't.

Honestly, though, some of your posts have been close to that line, and condescending stuff implying what I don't "grasp" also fall under that category.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1922
    Excuse my ignorance but what did BCD stand for. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Devil#20 said:
    Excuse my ignorance but what did BCD stand for. 
    Behind Closed Doors
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4087
    I'm in support of the mods.

I get far more value out of the guitar aspects of the forum than the bcd stuff, even if I have posted in there.   

I'm sure one day they'll be another new section added, but until then,  I'll not be losing any sleep.