CONGRATULATIONS! BCD is now gone.

What's Hot

Comments

• PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Sad times, I've had some of the best laugh out loud moments reading things in there. 
    Yeah, well the actions of the few spoil things for the many. As is standard in todays society.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1937
    PC_Dave said:
    Devil#20 said:
    Excuse my ignorance but what did BCD stand for. 
    Behind Closed Doors
    Ah OK. But  don't get rid of "The best fart you have ever done" thread. That deserves a forum section in its own right. I have literally wet myself with some of those posts. No, politics, race or religious humour there. Just extremely funny accounts of real life situations. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Devil#20 said:
    Brexit, Chicks & Dicks
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    BCD certainly had it’s uses for some of the reasons above (although I personally used it very little). But to maintain the measure of a really good forum, and the sanity of the mods, I can see why some ruthless pruning was required.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tex MexicoTex Mexico Frets: 1196
    I think you'll find I understand the idea of BCD perfectly well, being as I was one of the people responsible for its creation.

When people start creating threads specifically to piss the modmins off, that's where I draw the line. That's not an "attempt to moderate BCD on the same basis as the rest of the forum" (although you yourself have somewhat misunderstood what BCD's for, but that's a conversation I can't be arsed to have right now).

The alternative at this point is simply turning the whole fucking forum off and walking away. What would you prefer?
    The rules said "put sex threads in BCD" I put a sex thread in BCD. If I misunderstood anything it was because it wasn't explained clearly enough. 

I know what you intended BCD to be for. What I mean is you didn't seem to grasp that making a "sin bin" section but then trying to moderate it like a normal section is exactly what causes people to start baiting moderators.

It's your forum, you do what you want with it.
    You seem to be under the impression that this thread is about your thread. It isn't.

Honestly, though, some of your posts have been close to that line, and condescending stuff implying what I don't "grasp" also fall under that category.
    I don't think this thread is about my thread. I think your comment that I misunderstood what BCD was for is about my thread.

Like I said, it's your forum. You run it how you want. What I'm saying is that from an outside perspective BCD looked, tasted and smelled like the kind of "anything goes" rooms you get on other forums where things are allowed to run their course and get a lot messier than they are in all other areas of the forum, which is why more contentious subjects are limited to that room since they almost always provoke differences of opinion or other thread spirals that only end when people get bored. But again, as someone has noted above, they are also the places for people to get valuable and necessary support for stuff they don't feel like discussing out in the open.

It didn't make a lot of sense to me that BCD appeared to be moderated on a similar level to the rest of the forum since that seemed like an awful lot of unnecessary work for you guys. I do however see why you would choose to close it completely rather than put any time at all into running it, even if it was ostensibly a popular forum. I mean, for example if you wanted to impose a more guitar-driven editorial view on tFb, that would be a good way to do it, even if it limits the "in the pub" experience that a lot of users seem to value.

Anyway, again 100% your call.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6679
    JerkMoans said:
    Devil#20 said:
    Brexit, Chicks & Dicks
    Bums, Cocks, Dildos 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Probably for the best.

Slow hand clap for the few here that made it necessary.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    merlin said:
    JerkMoans said:
    Devil#20 said:
    Brexit, Chicks & Dicks
    Bums, Cocks, Dildos 
    From Brighton, sir?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26578
    I don't think this thread is about my thread. I think your comment that I misunderstood what BCD was for is about my thread.

Like I said, it's your forum. You run it how you want. What I'm saying is that from an outside perspective BCD looked, tasted and smelled like the kind of "anything goes" rooms you get on other forums where things are allowed to run their course and get a lot messier than they are in all other areas of the forum, which is why more contentious subjects are limited to that room since they almost always provoke differences of opinion or other thread spirals that only end when people get bored. But again, as someone has noted above, they are also the places for people to get valuable and necessary support for stuff they don't feel like discussing out in the open.

It didn't make a lot of sense to me that BCD appeared to be moderated on a similar level to the rest of the forum since that seemed like an awful lot of unnecessary work for you guys. I do however see why you would choose to close it completely rather than put any time at all into running it, even if it was ostensibly a popular forum. I mean, for example if you wanted to impose a more guitar-driven editorial view on tFb, that would be a good way to do it, even if it limits the "in the pub" experience that a lot of users seem to value.

Anyway, again 100% your call.
    Jesus. For the final time - BCD was never moderated on a similar level to the rest of the forum. That was the whole damn point.

Yes, I'm fully aware that BCD had a very good use case, and there were really good reasons for it existing, and that a lot of people found it very useful (although it's never been "anything goes").

Taking it away wouldn't have much effect otherwise, would it?

However, like all things...if you give folk something nice, there will always be people who abuse it. Warning them, coolering them, banning them...all pointless, because there are always more assholes waiting in the wings.

So this is different approach - make it socially unacceptable within the community to behave like that lest other bits of the forum disappear, because I want to be totally clear about this: I'm not averse to further removing sections if folk can't behave like reasonable human beings.

When adults act like children, they get treated as such.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Devil#20 said:
    PC_Dave said:
    Devil#20 said:
    Behind Closed Doors
    Ah OK. But  don't get rid of "The best fart you have ever done" thread. That deserves a forum section in its own right. I have literally wet myself with some of those posts. No, politics, race or religious humour there. Just extremely funny accounts of real life situations. 

As my comment count doesn't seem to have gone down, I'm working on the basis that the BCD section is hidden rather than deleted.  Any chance the modmins could bring back a few classic threads like that and move them into off topic?
    crunchman said:
    Devil#20 said:
    PC_Dave said:
    Devil#20 said:
    Behind Closed Doors

As my comment count doesn't seem to have gone down, I'm working on the basis that the BCD section is hidden rather than deleted.  Any chance the modmins could bring back a few classic threads like that and move them into off topic?
    Fingers up the wrong ‘un? Or MILFs?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7324
    DO WE GET TO KEEP THE FRETS WE GAINED IN THERE?!?!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    edited August 2020
    At the risk of poking an open wound, I have to chip in here.  Lee has been diplomatic here in not naming me, but it was my thread that pushed him over the edge.  I'm genuinely sorry to have pissed you off to that degree Lee. It wasn't intended to do that.  It was me just being mischievous and an attempt at humour.  At the end of the day, I have to agree with @"Tex Mexico" - the creation of a 'no holds barred' section then attempting to moderate it was always going to be an impossible task.

The removal of BCD is a shame, and an overreaction in my opinion.  It served a highly valuable purpose for many here, allowing people to discuss distressing problems and situations they would otherwise not risk in a public area.  I would ask you to reconsider Lee - if only for that reason alone.  I can keep my mouth shut and will toe the line and perhaps Mr Mexico could tone back the detailed anal exploration, - or - BCD is left unmoderated (barring legal risks to the forum).

Either way, I think BCD is a valuable resource for many here to talk anonymously about problems and I'm very sad that it has been removed as a result of my daft post.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2427
    DB1 said:
    ................. there are a few instances where posting on a publically private part of the forum has been cathartic for people with problems, who may not want the world to see those problems on a public part of the forum?

Mental issues, marital issues, bereavement, etc spring to mind, for example.
    Overall I’m not sorry to see the back of BCD but, as @DB1 says, it did provide one very useful function. It’s always heartening to see how members here rally round those who are experiencing difficult times. Would it be possible to create a sub-section for this purpose that is away from the public view? A ‘Friend in need’ section if you like?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24269
    Emp_Fab said:
    At the risk of poking an open wound, I have to chip in here.  Lee has been diplomatic here in not naming me, but it was my thread that pushed him over the edge.  I'm genuinely sorry to have pissed you off to that degree Lee. It wasn't intended to do that.  It was me just being mischievous and an attempt at humour.  At the end of the day, I have to agree with @"Tex Mexico" - the creation of a 'no holds barred' section then attempting to moderate it in the same way as the rest of the forum was never going to be a good combo.

The removal of BCD is a shame, and an overreaction in my opinion.  It served a highly valuable purpose for many here, allowing people to discuss distressing problems and situations they would otherwise not risk in a public area.  I would ask you to reconsider Lee - if only for that reason alone.  I can keep my mouth shut and will toe the line and perhaps Mr Mexico could tone back the detailed anal exploration, - or - BCD is left unmoderated (barring legal risks to the forum).

Either way, I think BCD is a valuable resource for many here to talk anonymously about problems and I'm very sad that it has been removed as a result of my daft post.

He already confirmed it was never a "no holds barred" section and confirmed that it was not moderated the same way as the rest of the forum.

Just a thought - maybe if you quit the forum Lee would bring it back? Take one for the team?
    ;) 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    Emp_Fab said:
    At the risk of poking an open wound, I have to chip in here.  Lee has been diplomatic here in not naming me, but it was my thread that pushed him over the edge.  I'm genuinely sorry to have pissed you off to that degree Lee. It wasn't intended to do that.  It was me just being mischievous and an attempt at humour.  At the end of the day, I have to agree with @"Tex Mexico" - the creation of a 'no holds barred' section then attempting to moderate it in the same way as the rest of the forum was never going to be a good combo.

He already confirmed it was never a "no holds barred" section and confirmed that it was not moderated the same way as the rest of the forum.

Just a thought - maybe if you quit the forum Lee would bring it back? Take one for the team?
    ;) 
    Well, to be fair, he posted that whilst I was typing, so....   In any case, I've always believed BCD to be exactly that.  I don't recall it being made clear previously that it wasn't.  ...and yes, it has crossed my mind to 'consider my position' in order to get the facility back for guys to seek help.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    BCD has existed since the creation of the site - 6/7 years if my reckoning is vaguely accurate - and over those years contained a huge amount of threads that members really would not want in a more public arena.  Mental health issues, homelessness, relationship breakdowns and bereavement issues are the ones that immediately spring to mind, but it was also a place where people could talk about problems at work or within their families without fear of it going public.   These are all incredibly valuable and positive aspects of this forum.  Its ability to come together to support others.  

Someone is currently running threat called "how many friends do you have".  I suspect for many this forum takes the place of real world friendships. We interact here much more often than we might be able to meet up with people in real life.  I have learned over the years who are the "characters",  who has expert knowledge in specific areas and more importantly who are the jokers and who are the dickheads (there is a difference).  And that without knowingly meeting up with anyone.

I consider myself to be very very liberal (small L) but I understand how a number of very puerile threads recently have pushed the admin team to have to take some very decisive action due to the demands placed on their time.

I fully support the admin team, this place is not a democracy, its their site and they can do what they wish with it.   I hope however that after a period of time, and some calm reflection from all involved, we might see a space return where the community can discuss wider and private issues in a more grown up and sensible manner. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    edited August 2020
    Emp_Fab said:
    At the risk of poking an open wound, I have to chip in here.  Lee has been diplomatic here in not naming me, but it was my thread that pushed him over the edge.  I'm genuinely sorry to have pissed you off to that degree Lee. It wasn't intended to do that.  It was me just being mischievous and an attempt at humour.  At the end of the day, I have to agree with @"Tex Mexico" - the creation of a 'no holds barred' section then attempting to moderate it was always going to be an impossible task.

It is nice to see responsibility taken, but I don't think it is entirely down to you- although it was obvious the f*lching thread was what did it.

More broadly- Speaker's Corner and BCD were always a place where content was lightly moderated, not a free for all.
    We should have been known that because it was made pretty clear.

Poking the limits of what is possible here is a pointless endeavour because the eventual consequence of doing that is what we see here.
    As a former mod yourself you know the sorts of discussion that go on behind the scenes, you know that largely consensus rules this place when it comes to moderation of content.
    It is much more free than most places which is both a blessing and a curse.
    In other places you'd just be banned, as would a bunch of other people, and perhaps myself.

I don't think taking one for the team is necessary or desirable- just don't prod at the edges of what will be moderated.
    If you think something is potentially on the edge then step back from it.
    I delete draft posts and comments all the time- just a second or two pause before hitting 'post comment' to consider how what you've written can be seen by a reader and by an admin who gives up his time voluntarily to moderate the ravings of an unruly clutch of man-babies.

Finally, things seem to get very messy in the late evenings/early mornings after everyone has had a skinful.
    No judgement, just making an observation. 
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    I too think it is a shame that there will no longer be an anonymous space to discuss issues and problems.

BCD may have had a lot of crap in it but at times it highlights the best of the forum and it's members. When someone is having a hard time and everyone rallies round to offer support.

It's what makes the Fretboard a "community" rather than just a "guitar forum" 

I hope a solution can be found to retain the positive aspects of BCD. 
  • Call it ‘back door’ and leave them to it....  ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom