CONGRATULATIONS! BCD is now gone.

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Emp_Fab said:
    @digitalscream @Bridgehouse @Jalapeno @Roland ;

I think it would be worth considering a new private sub forum. Maybe call it 'off your chest' or 'in confidence' or something. And have super strict rules on what sort of content is allowed.
    Chatham House Rules maybe? Maybe strictly controlled topics but with Extra anonymised ID? If that’s possible. 

Then the problems would be addressed without knowing who has the problem they need help with? No baggage then.
    Actually, that’s a great idea.  I have, in the past, wanted to ask for help on certain subjects but wasn’t comfortable doing so, even in BCD, because “Emp_Fab” is not a name I use exclusively on here and many people in my personal life know I go by that name online.  I don’t know if it’s possible, or how you could moderate if you didn’t know who was who - or whether the mods only could know?

How about generic accounts with known passwords for anyone to use in situations where they didn’t want their forum name known ?  
    It’s been done before - a poster sends their message to a Modmin who posts it on their behalf. We have done this a few times and it worked well. 

There’s nothing to stop people doing this now tbh. 

A generic account would be open to abuse - a massive security risk - and so not feasible. It would simply become a spam account. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    Would it be possible to have a section where names are obscured? So you'd still post from your own existing login, but no-one (outside admins) would be able to see who was posting threads and who was replying. Sort of one step further than the anon-via-modmin approach as it could cover replies as well?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8789
    Jesus: allowing this lot anonymity would be utter bedlam. It’d be all the pegging and felching of yore, on steroids.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4088
    People need to be accountable for their actions,  not protected by total anonymity 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    private sub forum. Maybe call it 'off your chest' or 'in confidence' or something. And have super strict rules on what sort of content is allowed.
    The Seymour Duncan User Group Forum had something akin to this.

Invitation-only groups, similar to the PM system here, only permanent, with a title, an in-group administrator, still fully open to scrutiny by the forum modmins.

The fag end of a group I started at SDUGF limps on. MacArthur’s Corrective Group. Sounds faintly kinky but actually refers to a world map projection that has Australia at the top. Brits and Strines could discuss Cricket and other shared culture with no need to explain to Americans.

Is that a good thing or is it a clique?

The downside to private chat rooms is that, after a while, some invitees behave like people who believe what they are doing goes unobserved. i.e. Exactly like the shittier aspects of BCD.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Would it be possible to have a section where names are obscured? So you'd still post from your own existing login, but no-one (outside admins) would be able to see who was posting threads and who was replying. Sort of one step further than the anon-via-modmin approach as it could cover replies as well?
    No.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    JerkMoans said:
    Jesus: allowing this lot anonymity would be utter bedlam. It’d be all the pegging and felching of yore, on steroids.

Agreed. If people want to shitpost anonymously they can fuck off to Reddit. This is primarily a guitar forum and should stay as such. I entirely support the mods decision.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    No.
    Are you sure about that?

I am detecting a degree of indecision...
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    No.
    Are you sure about that?

Not indecision, just brevity. Apart from not being technically possible it would be asking for trouble.
    octatonic said:
    No.
    Are you sure about that?

Not indecision, just brevity. Apart from not being technically possible it would be asking for trouble.
    I was kidding.
    It seemed about as definitive as it was possible to be.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    Fwiw I vote for BCD returning and people being less dickish when there or face discipline. I think the bawdy / controversial stuff served as a counterpoint to the heavy emotional stuff: like the pub really. If you take the fun stuff away and make it purely heavy and emotional I can't see that being particularly attractive

I'm not here super-regularly and it doesn't really affect me that much what happens, but this thread has given me the impression there was a certain element who went there purely to be offended and then complain loudly about it in the worst virtue-signalling kind of way. And apparently there were people who went there to deliberately push the envelope and be troublesome: well surely that's why you have the cooler and the banhammer

I don't particularly see the point in a milf thread or a lurid description of somebody's sex life, but then I don't see the point in bigsbys either. What is important is a safe space where people can vent or share or confess or whatever the hell it is they want to get off their chest without fear of judgment. And if your thread or post gets deleted just suck it up

Finally thanks again to the mods who do a tough job really well
    All practice and no theory
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    edited August 2020
    Fully understand and support the mods decision on BCD.

The only thing I will say is some of the best rants ever were in the ‘Shit That Boils Your Piss’ section, and I’m saddened to think that not only my own efforts, but also those of some of what I consider to be the finest whingers and moaners on the planet will no longer be available for all to enjoy.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    No.
    Are you sure about that?

I was kidding.
    It seemed about as definitive as it was possible to be.
    I dunno, “No f*cking way” would have been a bit more definitive
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    octatonic said:
    No.
    Are you sure about that?

Spat tea
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2020
    Have a subforum that is literally just a link to Kiwi Farms or 4chan.
    Clicking on it gives you an 'Edgelord' badge and makes your posts invisible to all other members.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    Fully understand and support the mods decision on BCD.

The only thing I will say is some of the best rants ever were in the ‘Shit That Boils Your Piss’ section, and I’m saddened to think that not only my own efforts, but also those of some of what I consider to be the finest whingers and moaners on the planet will no longer be available for all to enjoy.

I’m not sure that was ever achieved. I saw the posts in that thread, including my own occasional whinges, as Old Man Shouts At Clouds. I can’t imagine anyone else found them enjoyable. No, we’ll just have to go back to whingeing to the missus -  who also takes no notice at all. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    Prosoundweb and probably a few other forums only let people login with their real name - I suspect that would remove a lot of the unpleasantness.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • So, do people genuinely get upset by stuff on the internet that they’re in no way obliged to read? 

Weird. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    Can BCD just be made an opt-in section? If you opt-in you don't get to faint at the depravity of other people's minds.
    So, do people genuinely get upset by stuff on the internet that they’re in no way obliged to read? 

Weird. 
    They do - and obsessively complain to the mods and demand action. 

Of course, most of the time we are

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom