NGD: Ibanez JS ( I wanted a sustainiac and it got out of hand!)

What's Hot
not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
edited August 2020 in Guitar
I had plans to get a sustainiac pick-up fitted to one of my existing guitars, but then a I thought why not just cut to the chase and get a bright red Ibanez JS, so I did. 

The build quality and finish it perfect. Loving the neck (it’s not a super thin on these, more like a strat). 

The super curved shape is dead comfortable, sits really nicely. 

Only had the chance so far to play through a little Blackstar Fly, but I’ll give it a proper bash through my gigging rig later today. Sounds great though and the sustainiac is so much fun. 

0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Happy NGD, very pretty. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    Nice.

Are all the JS Ibbos fitted with non lolly sticks? They look ace value (and I like the looks) but I’m not a fan on da shredz nex fitted to other Ibanez guitars.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    What we really need to see is a rear view of the guitar. The Fernandes Sustainiac PCB needs a fairly large cavity. 

Fun, fore sure. The knack is to apply the effect believably. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    What we really need to see is a rear view of the guitar. The Fernandes Sustainiac PCB needs a fairly large cavity. 

Fun, fore sure. The knack is to apply the effect believably. 
    Stock photo, but this is the back. It’s the Sustainiac in this, not the Fernandes Sustainer. 

• Hell yeah! It's a Wow.

I'd be interested to know how the neck pickup sounds as a neck pickup.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24274
    I had a JS1000 once and it was lovely. I quite miss it.

The newest models have slightly different neck shapes and a slightly wider nut - too wide for me at 43mm.

One of the best double cut away body shapes ever. Modern yet not pointy, just classy.
  • BowksBowks Frets: 414
    impmann said:
    Nice.

Are all the JS Ibbos fitted with non lolly sticks? They look ace value (and I like the looks) but I’m not a fan on da shredz nex fitted to other Ibanez guitars.
    Yes, they are 10" radius necks and 2-3mm thicker than the JEM & RG necks with a round profile. I've got the JS2450 in purple and it's a great guitar!
  • BowksBowks Frets: 414
    I had plans to get a sustainiac pick-up fitted to one of my existing guitars, but then a I thought why not just cut to the chase and get a bright red Ibanez JS, so I did. 

The build quality and finish it perfect. Loving the neck (it’s not a super thin on these, more like a strat). 

The super curved shape is dead comfortable, sits really nicely. 

Only had the chance so far to play through a little Blackstar Fly, but I’ll give it a proper bash through my gigging rig later today. Sounds great though and the sustainiac is so much fun. 

Congrats on that beauty!
  • grayngrayn Frets: 880
    Gorgeous, congrats.
  • That. Is. GORGEOUS! HNGD :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22823
    edited August 2020

Very nice!  I've said more than once that the JS series (and maybe the Andy Timmons models) are the only current Ibanez guitars I ever consider as potential purchases.  I love that body shape, especially on the 22-fret versions.  Still too thin in the neck for me though.

Does the sustainiac function as a normal neck pickup as well?

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Lovely colour congratulations :)
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Congrats - lovely looking guitar.
    I like the sustainiac system a lot but it does make me fiddle with the guitar too much and have fun making weird noises rather than playing music.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    Nice! I've always quite liked this body shape despite not being a shredder at all. Since playing my SG exclusively I can't be doing with thick or heavy body shapes any more, does this body just nicely get out of the way? I even find a standard strat pretty cumbersome. Quite fancy the natural oiled finish hardtail version! 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    A few answers (I can’t get the multi-quote to work). 

Yes the sustainiac acts as a regular single coil pickup when the sustain function isn’t engaged. Sounds surprisingly nice actually. 

The body shape is so comfy. It does just disappear. I’ve mostly played sitting down so far, I need to get a suitable strap sorted out for this, but of course I’m not gigging right so no big issue. 

One thing I’ve noticed is the only reference on the guitar to Satriani are his initials, no signature or anything else, which I quite like. 

Much like my Ibanez Premium BFP JEM I’ll have no issues gigging this and playing my usual rock covers. I’m not a shredder and to 99% of punters these are just flashy looking guitars, and no one but the occasional guitar nerd would expect me to be covering those guys. However since watching the TV broadcast of the Seville ‘92 guitar legends I have loved Satch and Vai, so this is a bit of a boyhood dream guitar for me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom