String Recommendations Please

Hi!

I'm after some recommendations of new strings to try for my Taylor 310.

I currently use either Elixir Nanonweb 12s or Newtone Heritage Series 12s.

The Newtones sound incredible but don't last very long do to my fat sweaty fingers! On the other the Elixirs last ages but don't sound quite as good.

I'm up for trying something new! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26929
    Try the Martin Authentic Lifespan 2.0 - they're treated so last quite well, but sound more like normal strings than elixirs, which are a bit rubbish on acoustics. Might also be worth trying Martin Retro Monel strings. They're a different alloy so don't tarnish like normal strings. They sound a little different as well, but I'm a bit in love with them. 

Big long running acoustic string thread here:  https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/112616/acoustic-strings-a-journey#latest
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Try the Martin Authentic Lifespan 2.0 - they're treated so last quite well, but sound more like normal strings than elixirs, which are a bit rubbish on acoustics. Might also be worth trying Martin Retro Monel strings. They're a different alloy so don't tarnish like normal strings. They sound a little different as well, but I'm a bit in love with them. 

Big long running acoustic string thread here:  https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/112616/acoustic-strings-a-journey#latest
    Thanks for the reply. I had just spotted that thread after I had posted mine! 

I've had a look at the Lifespan 2.0 and they definitely seem worth a try. 
  • I'm using Monels on the Taw and Elixirs on the L'Arrivee. They don't last as long on the Taw, but I play it much more, too, so I think they're quite good from a longevity perspective compared to more usual uncoated strings. 

I also like Newtone Heritage, but the Monels do seem to last a bit longer. 
  • I've been experimenting with Newtone's range and have just put some Masterclass nickel-plated steel 11s on my 322. I much prefer them to the monels they replaced, which felt draggy and sounded muddy (although the woods on the 322 could have something to do with that). I do still like the Heritages, though, and don't forget they're half the price of Elixirs, so you can change them twice as often!
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9596
    edited August 2020
    When I switched from Elixirs to D’Addario EXP on my Taylor 310 it was like switching in an octave pedal. That’s what I’ve used since but I might try Martin Lifespan soon as they sound good on my other guitar (if a little squeaky). They also last ages.

Taylor recommend 13s for the 310, I’ve never tried going down to 12s.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72263
    DR Dragon Skin

The only coated strings that don't sound shit :).

(In my opinion ;).)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• pjfpjf Frets: 331
    edited August 2020
    Used to have a 310 myself. D’Addario EXP would be my suggestion, same as @thermionic above!

Edit: I also used to play with 13s. No doubt 12s would be just fine though. If I still had the guitar I’d use 12s.