Looper question

jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2464
I am looking to find a more modern equivalent to my trusty Akai Headrush E2 but no luck so far. 

I tried an MXR clone looper which looked ideal spec wise but I found it impossible to use live (the sound from it was excellent, very high quality) as it requires you to delete the loop after each use by holding a footswitch down. It’s impossible to do this silently without bending down and turning the volume off! 

I like the Akai as it allows you to record/overdub and start/stop the existing loop but then once you press record again your old loop is discarded. Example:

press record: recording loop
(press record again: Oops I messed up.. starts from scratch)
press start/stop: plays loop
press record while loop playing: overdub
(once loop reaches end looper plays original loop plus whatever you just played over it)
press start/stop: no sound
press record: new loop time

anything out there that does this? Must have two switches as I also can’t be dealing with double tap nonsense!

TIA!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joetelejoetele Frets: 948
    TC Electronic Ditto X2 Ditto X2. One button for record and overdub / erase top dub, another button for stop / delete. Plus there's a switch where you can play it back in reverse or half speed. You can usually get them on here for £70ish. I've tried tons of other loopers but always came back to this. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2464
    joetele said:
    TC Electronic Ditto X2 Ditto X2. One button for record and overdub / erase top dub, another button for stop / delete. Plus there's a switch where you can play it back in reverse or half speed. You can usually get them on here for £70ish. I've tried tons of other loopers but always came back to this. 
    Thanks. And do you you need to erase the loop or can you start a new loop just by tapping record?
    joetele said:
    Thanks. And do you you need to erase the loop or can you start a new loop just by tapping record?
    You can overdub an existing loop but if you want to start a new loop you have to erase the existing one.

It's easy to do though, you just hold the stop footswitch for a few seconds until it's gone. 

But if you wanted more functionality and more loops there's a Ditto X4 as well. 
    joetele said:
    joetele said:
    You can overdub an existing loop but if you want to start a new loop you have to erase the existing one.

It's easy to do though, you just hold the stop footswitch for a few seconds until it's gone. 

But if you wanted more functionality and more loops there's a Ditto X4 as well. 
    Problem is I’ve been using the headrush so long I forget to delete the old loop at gigs and then start playing the last loop over the next song! I want a ‘loop then forget‘ unit. Can’t see the appeal of wanting to keep the old loop.
    So essentially I’m after a double footswitch looper with no erase function 
    Ah see I use lots of overdubs on the same loop 
    joetele said:
    Ah see I use lots of overdubs on the same loop 
    I do too, but on the headrush if nothing’s playing and you press record it starts a new loop. But you can overdub as much as you like as long as the loop is playing.
    Oh that's the same on the Ditto X2, sorry. You can use it without storing a loop. 
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    I use a nu-x which is a clone of the Boss RC3 (I think) and an extra foot switch which controls stop and clear. I can use the single button on the pedal but it just more straight forward with the addition foot switch.

Having said that the looper function in my Line 6 pod HDX is even simpler if you've not got a loop playing when you hit record it just starts a whole new loop erasing the last one.