NGD - Brook Cary (Update)

What's Hot
GTCGTC Frets: 261
edited August 2020 in Acoustics
The NGD is a bit overdue as I picked up my Brook Cary classical (left-handed) from Brook's workshops in Devon two weeks ago

It has a spruce top and a beautifully figured Crelicam ebony back and sides. Crelicam are a Cameroon-based organisation who source sustainably grown West African ebony specifically for use in musical instrument construction. The edge bindings and and the sound hole inlay are koa and Tasmanian blackwood - with an ebony fingerboard and gold Schallers for the tuning machines. Photos are below.

The neck has been based on the La Patrie dimensions of 50.8mm nut width, slight 600mm fretboard radius with a slimmer profile than a traditional classical as I really liked the neck on a La Patrie Etude I once had.

It plays beautifully with an excellent action for a classical (2.2mm for 6th string at 12th fret) and a lovely clear balanced tone - by far the nicest traditional fan braced classical I've played.

Mind you, that doesn't stop me wanting to try a lattice-braced model if I can get it past my in-house financial controller!
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Very nice. What strings/tension are you using? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    edited August 2020
    Wow, very nice back and sides
  • GTCGTC Frets: 261
    edited August 2020
    Very nice. What strings/tension are you using? 
    They've currently got D'Addario XT normal tensions on them - but I'm going to shortly try out a set of Savarez Alliance HT Classics again normal tension). I may also try D'Addario EJ46TT Hard Tensions with titanium trebles - which I find have a more friendly sound than carbons.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491
    GTC said:
    Very nice. What strings/tension are you using? 
    They've currently got D'Addario XT normal tensions on them - but I'm going to shortly try out a set of Savarez Alliance HT Classics again normal tension). I may also try D'Addario EJ46TT Hard Tensions with titanium trebles - which I find have a more friendly sound than carbons.
    It might be going against what a lot of other voices might suggest, but I really prefer the sound of lower tension strings. I found higher tension strings could produce more volume but lower tension strings can sometimes be a little more enjoyable for tonality.

Luthier 20/LaBella 427 are 2 of my favourite string sets.

Beautiful NGD though!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Doesn't look like a fan-fret :/   But have a wow for a cracker !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3615
    Very nice. 

Just get them to build you a lattice braced in the same wood and keep it in a different room. As long as they’re never seen together nobody will be any the wiser :)
    Jalapeno said:
    Doesn't look like a fan-fret :/   But have a wow for a cracker !
    Whoops - I meant fan braced and have now corrected it to save my blushes. Thanks for pointing it out.
    It might be going against what a lot of other voices might suggest, but I really prefer the sound of lower tension strings. I found higher tension strings could produce more volume but lower tension strings can sometimes be a little more enjoyable for tonality. 

Luthier 20/La Bella 427 are 2 of my favourite string sets. 

Beautiful NGD though! 
    I generally have a tonal preference for normal tension strings on a full-sized classical. I like the warmer sound. I haven't tried the sets you mention but they certainly wouldn't break the bank. 

What do you think of the La Bella polished strings if you've tried them?
    drofluf said:
    Very nice. 

Just get them to build you a lattice braced in the same wood and keep it in a different room. As long as they’re never seen together nobody will be any the wiser :)
    Interesting idea - you mean like Janet / Michael Jackson? =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3615
    GTC said:
    drofluf said:
    Very nice. 

Interesting idea - you mean like Janet / Michael Jackson? =)
    Precisely =)
    Well - I've been banging on about wanting to try a lattice-braced classical and just wanted to state that, after four weeks since I picked it up from Brook's Devon workshops, I can't emphasise enough how impressed I've been with this fan-braced Cary.

My other guitars have rarely got a look in since I got it. It is an absolute joy to play and seems to sound better and better each time I pick it up.

I'll conclude with a photo of me with the guitar outside Brook's workshops when I collected it. Sorry about the facial expression - I was sitting on a rather damp wall!