RIP Pete Way

What's Hot
SimonCSimonC Frets: 1391
So sad to hear this news today.
He was the beating heart of UFO, and an electrifying bassist and performer. Influenced so many.
Another major part of my youth passes.

RIP Pete
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 533
    edited August 2020
    Fully agree. As time marches on and we have lost a few of the band it seems that there is now more recognition of just how excellent they were. My only real disappointment is that they could not resolve their individual differences. It would have been wonderful for a few cameo appearances (Way, Schenker, Chapman, Carter etc) on the Last Orders tour. Just to appear on stage and wave would have been enough. Obviously Neil Carter is now back in the fold with the sad loss of Paul Raymond.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Sad .. he didn't recover from his recent serious accident. Great melodic basslines ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    He's one of these musicians that I've never really heard. I have about 3000 vinyl/CDs but nothing with him on. Having said that, I was an avid reader of SOUNDS and Kerrang back in the day, and he was all over them. I have seen so much of him and read so much about his bands! RIP Pete
  • Damn man. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I'm not a big UFO fan but one of those staples of the British/ European rock scene and Pete was a character of repute. I was going to say I had the first Fastway album, which I did, but Wikipedia said he'd left the band he'd named before they even recorded it! 
    Ah well, will give Strangers in the Night a spin when I can. 

RIP.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1262
    RIP Pete, great bass player and songwriter. Love the UFO albums he played on, also the Mogg/Way stuff. He certainly lived a bit by all accounts - his book is worth a read.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22515
    I've only just heard about this.  Very sad news.  He was quite a character, he always looked so extraordinarily wrecked and unhealthy!  I think the only time I saw Pete Way live was the first Waysted tour supporting Dio(?).  Can't remember much about it but I think they were a bit shambolic.
    I was going to say I had the first Fastway album, which I did, but Wikipedia said he'd left the band he'd named before they even recorded it! 
    Shortly after leaving Fastway, he did a tour with Ozzy Osbourne.  I didn't see any of those shows but I've somehow got a programme, which is kept inside my vinyl copy of Talk of the Devil (which Pete isn't on).  What a team they must have made:

https://www.loudersound.com/features/ufos-pete-way-reflects-on-the-decade-of-decadence-he-spent-with-ozzy-osbourne

RIP
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Really not focused today so trying some UFO as therapy. If anyone is a really keen fan then Live in Youngstown is released in October this year  - I think double vinyl only, one of the concerts recorded for Strangers in the Night. 
    Shame in some ways that they got lumped in as a heavy metal band whereas with Strangers on it's hardly that at all. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    I loved the versions of UFO he was in.
    He wrote an autobiography a few years back.  I'm a fan so I was interested and it is a good read.

Another one gone.