SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sorted: Gibson Goldtop or Japanese 70/80/90's Les Paul copy

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I'm calling them absurd because that's about 5% of all Les Pauls. Certainly no one will ever part with an under 8.5lbs LP for 800. The 1987 7.9lbs Greco EG500 I've just had sold in stunning 15 minutes - there were 5 offers, 15 messages, and one guy just bought it for the £950. That's a EG500, mid 80, no fancy names. Just the magic of rare low weight.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Genuinely... stop your search.

Look for a *2010* Gibson 1950s Tribute. It fulfils all your criteria - including the weight. Plus... it’s a Gibson so you aren’t buying a Les Paul copy and you don’t have “those” conversations.

And yes, they are chambered - but as anyone who’s heard/played mine, it sounds epic and that sort of thing only matters to corksniffers. 

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• LOL
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1174
    edited August 2020
    I recently sold on the forum a 1983 Greco EG60-180, fitted all the requirements, but certainly was sold for more than 1500. Really really nice guitar.

Maybe try buying directly from japan, something like a ktr crews.

I'm also selling a navigator which fits the requirements except for the price.
  • CREWS are way over 1k£ in Japan. Navigator is not nitro.
  • Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 405
    I appreciate the advice but you’re coming across a bit obnoxious tbh. The weight requirement isn’t absurd, it’s the max i can deal with due to a bad back. If there’s nothing suitable then so be it, but it’s worth a shot. 
    A guy can ask can’t he???
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • well you've described an at least £1,5k guitar minimum

Still don’t have to be rude. 
  • Apologies, did not meant to sound like that
  • The nitro finished EG900 I've shown above will get to around 9lbs if I put Kluson type lightweight tuners, aluminium stoptail, remove pickguard, and you can probably drill out a couple channels from the pots cavity. Will get to 9lbs and maybe a bit below that. I can take your PX Strat too
  • Same for my 1976 EGC1000, 4.2kgs stock, old Grovers are 250g, Klusons are 120. Stopbar. Pickguard. All add up to get to 9lbs. No nitro finish there but OH BOY IT IS A RELIC 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    LOL
    Thanks for your helpful comment.

Remember rule 1, please.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• well he specifically pointed out that Gibson is the least wanted option, right there in the end of the first sentence 
    edited August 2020
    CREWS are way over 1k£ in Japan. Navigator is not nitro.
    no you're wrong.

ktrs can be had all day under 1k... depends on which ktr model you go for. Ktr limited/special editions and led models obviously cost more.

Navigators can be poly, acrylic or nitro depending on year and model.

I've been buying japanese guitars long enough to know, thank you very much
  • monoaminemonoamine Frets: 506
    Ive been buying and selling MIJ Les Paula for the last 15 years... Have had lots go through my hands and I don't think ANY of them weighed less than 8lbs 8oz. It's just not how they were built. You might get very lucky and find one in the price bracket you've described but chances are that wood will have been saved for a higher grade of instrument.
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
    edited August 2020
    monoamine said:
    Ive been buying and selling MIJ Les Paula for the last 15 years... Have had lots go through my hands and I don't think ANY of them weighed less than 8lbs 8oz. It's just not how they were built. You might get very lucky and find one in the price bracket you've described but chances are that wood will have been saved for a higher grade of instrument.
    You've not been buying the right ones. This is a 1983 Greco Mint Collection EG60-180, most of the mint collections I've had have been under 8.8. Lower end grecos in particular which are exceptionally well built can be found under 8.8 quite often.

And this is a 2003 navigator:

Again most I've had were under 8.8, the lighest one, an LP-480s from 2010 had 8.25lb
    Updated what I'm looking for in original description. Thanks for all the suggestions so far. 

Specifically looking for a nitro finished Goldtop now, or a LP Custom if Japanese....so long as the weight requirements are met (which I know is unlikely on the Custom option.)