Best clip on tuner for acoustics

What's Hot

Comments

• jhumberjhumber Frets: 238
    Another vote for the Polytune Clip, which I prefer over the D'addario and Snark ones I've tried in the past. Very accurate, and priced well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26752
    Polytune clip. Though I mostly tune by ear and rarely use a tuner at home - mostly just for setups, intonation etc.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    i am yet to find a headstock tuner that doesn't buzz when certain notes are played. not so much an issue on electric but definitely annoying on acoustic. i've had snarks, couple of korgs, TC, no-name snark copies. does the soundhole tuner buzz at all or does it grip enough not to?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    edited August 2020
    BigMonka said:
    Personally I prefer a soundhole tuner on my acoustic as it's much neater looking and doesn't need to be taken off when putting the guitar in a case. The one I'm using is the D'Addario NS Micro like this...
    I think I'd find that annoying. I had a mic clip once that went there and it distracted me too much when I was playing - just that there was something unexpected there. I might get used to it, but I'm not sure.

bbill335 said:
    i am yet to find a headstock tuner that doesn't buzz when certain notes are played. not so much an issue on electric but definitely annoying on acoustic. i've had snarks, couple of korgs, TC, no-name snark copies.
    Surely that's only a problem if you leave it on when you're actually playing?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    I got a Polytune when amazon did them for about £26 (they did this periodically, you have to be lucky). I’d be tempted to get a Unitune now though, as I tune strings individually 99% of the time as the “showing the bottom E as flat bug” annoys me. It’s also accurate enough for intonation adjustments on my electrics.
    ICBM said:
    bbill335 said:
    i am yet to find a headstock tuner that doesn't buzz when certain notes are played. not so much an issue on electric but definitely annoying on acoustic. i've had snarks, couple of korgs, TC, no-name snark copies.
    Surely that's only a problem if you leave it on when you're actually playing?
    it's the only way i've found to NOT lose them!  :#
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26752
    The only thing worse than people who leave their clip on tuner attached while playing are those who do it while playing in public...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    Going for the other way, to the peasant end of the market, I got fed up with trying to remember which gig bag or case I'd last left the 'decent' clip-on tuner in so bought a few of the super cheapo Donner ones so I could scatter them more liberally around the place, and they've been great.
  • The TC unitune is the best I’ve tried so far, although I find I still have to adjust a fair bit by ear.

The only thing worse than people who leave their clip on tuner attached while playing are those who do it while playing in public...
    This! Especially on a gig. It’s a cardinal sin along with leaving your car keys, wallet and iPhone stuffed in your pockets.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 431
    TC Unitune by far the best clip on I've found.
  • camfcamf Frets: 1190
    JCA2550 said: TC Unitune by far the best clip on I've found.
    Word.
  • camfcamf Frets: 1190

bobbatone said:
    The TC unitune is the best I’ve tried so far, although I find I still have to adjust a fair bit by ear.

More word! 
  • 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427
    Had a snark which I liked , (it faded and died ) , the tc poly is very good but if anything too accurate , seems like you can never get every string perfect or maybe I'm doing it wrong , anyway I would highly recommend the Kliq Ubertuner , it's not the cheapest out there but the, big colourful display works for me .

If you want a free tuner I use the pitchlab on my tablet , it' very good , at least I think it was free , I've had it a while..

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    JCA2550 said: TC Unitune by far the best clip on I've found.
    Just out of curiosity, have you tried the Polytune? I'm wondering why/if the Unitune might be better, since I mostly use the Polytune on bass where it's set to monophonic anyway.

If so that would give me an excuse to buy another tuner :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

in public there is always a tu2 at my feet, but in the privacy of one's home, it is surely acceptable to go around with a clip-on!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    I haven't tried all of them, but the Planet Waves is the best of the more budget ones that I have tried.

Snarks work ok but they seem to chew up batteries at quite a rate.
  • I like Snarks, but stopped buying them because they always seem to fail after about 6-12 months use. Batteries lasted about 6 months for me. I switch off after tuning - the display is a distraction otherwise.

My current clip-on tuner is a Fender tuner I was given as part of a "sorry for your experience and have this Fender tin of goodies" gift when I returned a guitar that never should have left the shop in the state it was in. (My one time recently of trying to buy mail order. Great recovery from the original mistake by the shop, but reminded me why I need to play before I buy).

The Fender tuner is fine - it works and I can tune the guitar without any fuss. Is it the best? Dunno. Do I need the best? How would I know, anyway? 
  • I have had loads over the years, various makes and models. I keep losing them, leaving them at gigs, pubs etc... So got a few out of Lidls supermarket a couple years ago as a back up. l think they cost me £3.99 each.
    Absolute belters.... Best l have ever had, but only got one left.
    I guard it with my life. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AmigoAmigo Frets: 119
    For over 5 years I have been using a cheap ENO ET-3000+ chromatic tuner, bought for 5 quid off Amazon, which does the job marvellously for my needs. I changed the battery once. But then my needs are leisurely at best.
  • So, I tried in vain to get a TC Polytune or Unitune - seems they don't make them anymore. I ended up getting a second hand Petersen Stroboclip. Looking forward to trying the sweetened tunings. Thanks to all of you who shared your thoughts, opinions and advice. Much appreciated.