I end up hating every song I play..

What's Hot
I hear a song on the radio, a song that sounds interesting.  I generally end up buying the CD and ripping it to my computer hard drive.  I learn as much of the song as I can - chords, intro and fills mostly.  By this stage the song has implanted itself into my brain.  I can 'hear' the song in my head, night noon and morning.  Pretty soon I simply cannot stand hearing it any more.  I end up hating the song.  The song is still interesting but I don't want to know.  Repeat at least once every week.

Am I alone in this......
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10681
    edited August 2020

Rocker said:

Am I alone in this......

No
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Time to move up to more sophisticated music maybe! Give your hifi something real to chew on
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    Somebody I knew when I was a student got a guitar as a birthday gift. He idolised The Shadows and Quo. Pretty soon he could pick out a melody and chug out the Na-nuh-Naa-nuh-Na-nuh-Naaaa chord progression. 

Great, he thought. I can do it. 

This was closely followed by, “Shit! If I can do it after just a few months, this music cannot be as wonderful as I originally believed.”

Poor bugger ruined the magic of some of his favourite entertainment.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • As a man heavily in to punk its safe to say many bands aren't that technical (bar some exceptions like propagandhi belvedere strung out) however I love to play along to the album. Sometimes adding riffs or solos of my own. I do understand the overplay theory, we've all gone through it, especially if you're in a cover band
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    im a beginner so not only am I playing the same song dozens of time over trying to learn them I am playing them really terribly. good was to ruin your favourite tunes for yourself
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    What I worry about is learning songs that I love - will the experience ruin the song for me? I've done one, basically a 5 min instrumental. Still love it. 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2082
    Ive been working on a mix for someone....good news is they thing its great....  bad news I can hardly listen to it at the moment. 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Somebody I knew when I was a student got a guitar as a birthday gift. He idolised The Shadows and Quo. Pretty soon he could pick out a melody and chug out the Na-nuh-Naa-nuh-Na-nuh-Naaaa chord progression. 

Great, he thought. I can do it. 

This was closely followed by, “Shit! If I can do it after just a few months, this music cannot be as wonderful as I originally believed.”

Poor bugger ruined the magic of some of his favourite entertainment.
    I didn't play albums or CDs for years after I'd been playing for a while, learnt a few tunes and wrote some of my own, as I'd analyse the structures and stuff of everything I heard and didn't enjoy listening to anything at all.
  • wizbit81wizbit81 Frets: 445
    Comes in a cycle I find. You work on it and listen to it a tonne and dislike it from all the repitition. Leave it and do something else then a while later you really like it again AND like playing it/along to it. Brucey Bonus. I've heard some people say it ruins the magic for them to learn a tune and so they stay away from learning their favourites, I'm the opposite though, I want to know WHY I like it, and then do it myself. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
     I like playing songs I hear on the radio and elsewhere. The problem is that a tape of 'that' song gets on repeat in my brain.  I 'hear' it everywhere. No escape.  The song in my head now is Night Fever.  I don't like the song and would never play it on the hi-fi nor would I attempt to play it on guitar.  No interest whatsoever in the song, but it is on repeat in my head.  Until another song comes along and replaces it.  And the cycle starts again...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24195
    Quite normal.

It means the stuff you are learning to play is too easy. Pick something you'll never be able to learn to play and it will never happen.

Obviously you'll die feeling frustrated about not being able to play it, but you didn't ask about that! :D 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2582
    I have never really tried to learn other people's songs, but exactly the same thing happens with songs I write.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    Rocker said:
     I like playing songs I hear on the radio and elsewhere. The problem is that a tape of 'that' song gets on repeat in my brain.  I 'hear' it everywhere. No escape.  The song in my head now is Night Fever.  I don't like the song and would never play it on the hi-fi nor would I attempt to play it on guitar.  No interest whatsoever in the song, but it is on repeat in my head.  Until another song comes along and replaces it.  And the cycle starts again...

I find the best song to get rid of an earworm is “The Bear Necessities” from Jungle Book. 

Trouble is it’s a bugger to get rid of once you’ve thought of it. 

Oh, sorry. 
  • viz said:
    Rocker said:

I find the best song to get rid of an earworm is “The Bear Necessities” from Jungle Book. 

Oh, sorry. 
    I actually spent most of my university finals exams with that stuck in my head. Hearing it now is like flashbacks..!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Look for the bare necessities
    The simple bare necessities
    Forget about your worries and your strife
    I mean the bare necessities
    Old Mother Nature's recipes
    That brings the bare necessities of life
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • viz said:
    Rocker said:

Oh, sorry. 
    That's not the one that works for me, I find that Agadoo trumps everything for replacing ear worms. You're welcome.
  • wizbit81 said:
    viz said:

Oh, sorry. 
    That's not the one that works for me, I find that Agadoo trumps everything for replacing ear worms. You're welcome.

My personal favourite (with a touch of irony) is the Kylie Minogue classic "Can't Get You Out Of My Head" 

Na Na Na. Na Na Na Na Na. Na Na Na. Na Na Na Na Na.... 

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7753
    viz said:
    Rocker said:

Oh, sorry. 

The chords for it are fun to play, though.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • I don't really suffer too much from this (some songs get boring after a while, others don't).  But somebody did say to me one time that most bands don't get their set really tight until they've played it so often they're a bit sick of it.  I'm not sure if this is true or not, but it's a slightly depressing thought if so.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5359
    I don't get sick of them, but if I'm learning something to perform, which often means learning the lyrics as well, after a couple of days it's all that's in my head any time I'm not thinking about anything else. To the extent that I start dreaming the blasted thing and it disturbs my (already disturbed) sleep. Ends up really stressing me out.

However, once I've actually got out and done the song a couple of times (either at a rehearsal or for real) it starts to fade. Although it usually takes a few more days to drift away entirely. After which it's fine.

What I do suffer from is that thing where you start to get the hang of a new song (cover or original) and think it's sounding good. Then you do it some more and it just starts to sound total crap, as though the more you play/practice the worse it gets. Usually after a while it comes good again, but there can be a long period of "I just can't play this so it sounds good, and it did before*, what on earth is wrong with me?".

*In my head. Other opinions are very likely available :)