SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

walnut body for electric guitar opinions

Hi does anyone have an idea how walnut sounds in an electric guitar?
Planning to build one of the tone is supposedly decent as I have a load of walnut left over from another project.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RevMattRevMatt Frets: 833
    I've seen a few walnut guitars around including a really nice looking Patrick James Eggle 96 on the Sound Affects Ormskirk website.

No personal experience but thinking that if PJE uses it it must be ok...
  • als427als427 Frets: 10
    excuse my ignorance , Im presuming thats the same patrick eggle that was making the eagle guitar in the 90's? is the eagle Berlin ?
    typo - the eggle Berlin
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16081
    Meh
    walnut sounds meh? I knid of thought it might , otherwise it would be used in more solid body guitars
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Look for demos of a late 70s Gibson The Paul. All walnut body with ebony finger board. 

I have one from 78. 
  • RevMattRevMatt Frets: 833
    als427 said:
    excuse my ignorance , Im presuming thats the same patrick eggle that was making the eagle guitar in the 90's? is the eagle Berlin ?
    Same person, but different company and different guitar. Patrick Eggle now trades as Patrick james Eggle (while his original company continues to exist using the original name). The walnut topped guitar I refer to is one of the newer models, a Patrick James Eggle 96:
    https://www.soundaffects.com/electric-guitars-c95/96-drop-top-electric-guitar-walnut-p15389
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    I had a walnut tele body that sounded great.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    I had a Walnut Strat, ot was fine and looked really nice
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• RolandRoland Frets: 8693
    edited August 2020
    als427 said:
    Hi does anyone have an idea how walnut sounds in an electric guitar?
    Planning to build one of the tone is supposedly decent as I have a load of walnut left over from another project.
    Necks have much more impact on sound than bodies. As a body walnut looks nice, but is heavier than ash or alder. As I neck I’m guessing that it lies between maple and mahogany. 

I have some walnut planked up for drying, but it will be a year or so before it’s ready to build a guitar with, so I’m interested in what you do with yours.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    thinking of a modern strat type guitar , so maybe walnut better here. Rather than a les paul type where a certain tone is expected