Voting for Solo of the Month (SotM) #62

stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
edited August 2020 in Making Music
Welcome to the voting thread for Solo of the Month (SotM) #62. Feel free to vote and comment in this thread.

This month's challenge was based on a movie theme style backing track

Vote for your top 3 entries. If you're an entrant you can't vote for yourself.

1st choice gets 5 points
2nd choice gets 3 points
3rd choice gets 1 point

Voting will end at midnight 31st August 2020.

The top three will be announced after the voting closes.

You can find all the entries the playlist below.

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/sotm62-2020-08

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3241
    edited August 2020
    5 points: @Bellycaster - anthemic melody hinting at the original theme, well played, tone just wet enough, little sprinkle of harmony (more!), I'm starting to recognise some of your intervallic ideas now

3 points: @stratman3142 - chunky 80s theme tone, strongly melodic, excellent playing as always

1 point: @ChrisRG - some interesting note choices...which makes for a melodic approach (there's a theme here), couple of little flurries in there to keep things spiced up, minus 1 point for not supplying a pun laden title with your track
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    edited August 2020
    5 points : @Bellycaster : Straight-ahead, anthem-like melody. Sounds quite Scottish to me. Maybe the theme for another Highlander sequel?

3 points : @Digitalkettle : Well the influences are very clear. You need to play this with a fan blowing your hair .  A very clever entry.

1 point : @ChrisRG : I liked the first half which was a good simple anthem-like melody. I would have preferred the second half to continue in a similar vein.

It's not a competition.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850
    5 Points @stratman3142 This one just edged as winner due to the more 80's feel to it. Nice flowing melody and creative note choices for ending the phrases. Great tone and excellent playing.

3 Points @digitalkettle ; Great playing and excellent effect with the harmonies and the "Stereo" effect, if that's the right way to describe it? Lovely flourish at the end too.

1 Point @ChrisRG Some nice lines here, good trem work and some nimble fingering (Oooer) ;)

@Digitalkettle: I have intervallic Ideas? ;)  =)

Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    Hard to separate the top 3 for me.

5 points - @Bellycaster Great melody, great playing and nice subtle use of the trem.  Perfect fit for the backing.

3 points - @digitalkettle ; I'm sure I've heard those melodies somewhere before....    Great playing and loved the harmony.   You got a lol from me for the final flurry. 

1 point - @stratman3142 Good melody and the track builds well throughout.  
  • Voting ends tomorrow at midnight.

It's not a competition.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4093
    5pts @Bellycaster sounded like a Prince guitar tone and solo. Each note was perfectly in tune and precisely played.  Enjoyed how the pattern had a theme of returning to a home note. 

3pts @stratman3142 elegant and well crafted

1pt @ChrisRG enjoyable ditty, well played

Honourable mention for @pintspiller who's solo was so high pitched I couldn't hear it above the backing track. 
  • Voting ends tonight at midnight.

It's not a competition.
  • Voting closed.
    It's not a competition.