MIM Jazz Bass Query (buying used, some advice)

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1387
edited August 2020 in Bass
Hi all, looking to do a bit of a clear out this year and might finally stop faffing around, bite the bullet, and look at getting a MIM Jazz Bass. Why MIM? Well, I'm primarily a guitarist, so thought I'd aim for the middle ground, and Fender models seem to be handy enough in terms of any upgrades. I might put an Oil City Overkill in the bridge, and pair it with something else in the neck position.
MIMs seem to get decent enough reviews, and any MIM Fender instruments I have played seemed to be decent enough quality for me.

I don't want to go for a PJ option.

I know there are probably a shed load of other options you would suggest I go for, (like G&L, Sire, etc) but I'm not sure if all J Basses have standard pickup sizes hence the safe option with a Fender.

I wouldn't be too knowledgeable to decide whether to go for a 60s or 70s model.

Are MIMs based on 60s or 70s out of curiosity? Are they heavy? (not a big fan of heavy heavy instruments!)

I have read about so many variations of the Squier models, I thought I'd just stick with the standard MIM J bass...

Though I do like the look of this, could anyone confirm if the pickups would be standard size? I would guess so? (Intention would be to replace...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6aQIWnutNU&t=389s

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 4string4string Frets: 33
    tFB Trader
    @Creed_Clicks if you fancy the Overkill in the bridge, let's talk about what we can do for the neck as well. :-) 
    Chief Bottle Washer @ Oil City Pickups.
  • @4string that was a question I'd be curious about as well!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14404
    Generally speaking, Fender MIM Jazz Bass models use the pickup rout positions of the Sixties version. The exceptions will be models badged as Seventies recreations.

The budget for a brand new MIM Vintera or Road Worn series Jazz Bass ought to be within striking distance of a pre-owned American Standard, Special or Performer.

My two penn’orth on the OCP Overkill + Precision pickup combination is that it offers extreme tonal variation in one instrument. 

On a J Bass, it is wiser to have a calibrated pair of J pickups. Dial in the characteristic comb filtering “honk” via the individual volume controls.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • @Funkfingers oh yeah, I'd have to think of some kind of a combo if I went for the overkill. Weird thinking that I could just use the neck pickup and keep the overkill off, and then use the overkill for OD, effects, rock etc....
    The Bartolini 9J1-S immediately springs to mind.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The Bartolini 9J1-S immediately springs to mind.
    Would you mean pairing this with the overkill?
    Yes, although, it is probably better paired with the brighter version of the 9JL. 

The 9JL used to come in #1 and #4 variants. One was brighter than the other, inasmuch as any Bart could be described as bright. They all have extended low end.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11444
    edited August 2020
    As a former MIM Jazz bass owner, get a Precision.  I just couldn't get a recorded tone I was happy with using a Jazz.  A Precision just sits in the mix so much better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchman said:
    As a former MIM Jazz bass owner, get a Precision.  I just couldn't get a recorded tone I was happy with using a Jazz.  A Precision just sits in the mix so much better.
    I suppose there's a reason they're so popular. I have a Vintage brand P bass. I suppose I could look at a PJ config, best of both worlds. As I mentioned before, I´m not gone on that config though, for whatever reason! But even with J basses, there just seems to be *so* many options...
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11444
    crunchman said:
    I suppose there's a reason they're so popular. I have a Vintage brand P bass. I suppose I could look at a PJ config, best of both worlds. As I mentioned before, I´m not gone on that config though, for whatever reason! But even with J basses, there just seems to be *so* many options...

A lot of PJ's don't get the the P sound.  The P pickup is in the wrong place.
  • A lot of the online vids I checked, there´s not much difference between the neck pickup on a J and a P bass. Feel would be different I guess.
    I do like the smaller p bass style body on the G&L JB2 so that tribute could be runner, I'd replace pickups then.
    Still hard to know though! It'll be while either way. Tempted to get rid of my Gibson SG bass to fund....
  • I'm surprised nobody ever made a J bass or J style, with both pickups in a similar position to a Ric, e.g. the bridge pickup towards the middle, and the neck pickup at the neck. I suppose there are a lot of things to consider when putting it together..
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    P bass body with a Jazz neck is the best compromise of playability and tone ime.
  • I'm surprised nobody ever made a J bass or J style with both pickups in a similar position to a Ric
    Considering that RIC 4000, 4001 and 4003 basses sound identifiable when not amplified, the pickup positioning is a minor factor.

JezWynd said:
    P bass body with a Jazz neck is the best compromise of playability and tone ime.
    PJ works better when the LJ pickup is relatively hot. e.g. The EMG-GZR pair.

• I think I will go for a J config, either a bog standard MIM Fender or the G&L jb, which I like, as it has a smaller body, but no idea what the neck profiles are like on the G&Ls V the Fender MIM,
  • The thing you have to watch out for with pickup dimensions is that on most J basses, the bridge pickup is slightly longer than the neck pickup. However, there are some where both pickups are the same length (some Squiers maybe?), so a standard set won't fit.

Though you may also find that the routs are not a very close fit to the pickup anyway and either size will fit with different gaps around the edge of the pickup, though the screw holes won't be in quite the right place.
  • I’m a big fan of MIM Fenders, but I think in terms of basses, Squier Classic Vibes give them a real good run for the money. If you see an earlier CV (or a VM), it’s worth checking out. I sold my MIM Jazz after I bought a CV.
  • I'm going with a partscaster build for now, but not easy to find a 70s body spec. I'm also torn between a j and a p! So I'm getting parts common to both and leaving some things until last!
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    4string said:
    @Creed_Clicks if you fancy the Overkill in the bridge, let's talk about what we can do for the neck as well. :-) 
    That's something I've been wondering about since the Overkill peaked my interest.

Been wondering if Ric players commonly use the bridge pickup only and that's the sound intended.

If not, I'm puzzled about there not being a neck version.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    crunchman said:
    Same for me and it's incredibly frustrating for me because there are some records that were recorded using Jazz Basses and I love the sound so much but I just can't seem to get a great sound myself with one.