Roland ready strat (WTB GR20)

phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
edited August 2020 in Guitar
I have a MIM roland ready strat I bought it used and got it at a good price. The previous owner was not sure that the synth pick up still worked as it had not been used for years.

I took it in for a set up and they tested the roland for me and luckily it all works.

So im tempted to now buy a synthesizer and have a play. I feel it will only ever be a bit of a novelty so I dont want to spent a lot on kit. I am guessing a used roland GR-20 is what I need?

can anyone advise me on this before I buy anything

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1340
    Yes - GR20 is perfect for having a go at relatively low cost. Have fun.. 
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    if someone on the forum has one they want to sell I would be interested
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 610
    Gr20 is perfect as said. Don't forget the lead from gr20 to guitar. Can be expensive.
    Gr55 is very good too if you want to up the ante
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    The onboard electronics generates six bunches of pitch and bend information plus the two momentary switches, the guitar/mix/synth switch status and the continuous controller synth volume pot value. For synthesis, this data all needs to go into a box with a Pitch-to-MIDI conversion. e.g. One of the Roland GR- modules. 

For a more guitarist-friendly playing experience, you might be better served by a VG-8, -9 or -99. These have no need of MIDI conversion. Hence, they track more accurately.
    Be seeing you.
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2621
    The current equivalent of the VGs is the GP-10, which will also do guitar=>MIDI conversion (as does the VG-99), so you can plug it into your DAW and trigger synths from that. What these are are effectively Roland's version of the Variax+Helix combination. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    edited October 2020
    @phil_b ; Did you purchase a Roland GR20 yet?

If not, I have a very clean example available for sale, boxed, with PSU and manual. I can do you a good price by offering the synthesizer/converter WITHOUT the GK3 hexaphonic pickup. (You will still need a 13-pin interface cable.)

PM me if you are interested.
    Be seeing you.
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    @phil_b ; Did you purchase a Roland GR20 yet?

If not, I have a very clean example available for sale, boxed, with PSU and manual. I can do you a good price by offering the synthesizer/converter WITHOUT the GK3 hexaphonic pickup. (You will still need a 13-pin interface cable.)

PM me if you are interested.

@Funkfingers ; thanks for the offer but I already picked one up