Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

12-string on a budget?

What's Hot
SnagsSnags Frets: 5368
I find myself periodically 12-string curious, but a combination of lack of space, and already having a good acoustic that's way above the budget I'd want to drop on a 12 "just for fun" has kept me a bit reluctant.

Plus, at the budget end, I'm wary of ending up with something that looks OK but won't hold tune, or has an action that superman would struggle to jump over.

What's good and what's tat in the sub-£500 bracket (ideally sub-£300 secondhand)?

And is it feasible to whack something like a K&K Pure Mini in a 12-string if there isn't already a pickup installed? I assume so, as it's just a variation on vibration sensing, but best to ask dumb questions first, not later.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    The old Eko Ranger is worth a look. I've mentioned this before, but one of their huge advantages is that they have a bolt-on neck and adjustable bridge saddle, so it's almost always possible to get them playing very well, more easily than many other cheaper 12-strings. (Obviously check for any major structural or fretting problems first though.) Also, although they don't sound like a high-end solid wood guitar, they do have a nice warm tone which goes well with the natural 12-string jangle.

They're not too rare and you can easily pick one up for £150 or so, which would leave a wide margin for any work it might need.

You can use a K&K on almost any guitar, but even more so with a 12-string it's worth having a look inside first to see whether there's space on the bridgeplate in front of the ball ends, before you buy one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    Vintage or Faith, both decent budget choices. I’ve got an ultra-cheap Yamaha APX that plays ok but is made of pretty nasty ply and doesn’t have much sustain or resonance, so I’d say to avoid the really low end Yamaha models. 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5368
    edited September 2020
    Thanks both. Synchronicity has won the day in the short term - there was a Yamaha FG820-12 listed on here, and not a million miles away, so I've done the decent thing and rehomed it.

It's definitely going to help with improving picking accuracy for any single note stuff! Enjoy the craziness for strumming though, and can see it having a home as an "underneath" sound on some stuff.

If I get on with it well then the next question will be whether to move it on and replace it with an electro of some kind, of get it fitted for a pickup and strap button on the lower side of the heel (I hate playing with bootlaces around the headstock, makes my left hand feel cramped in).
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Snags said:

If I get on with it well then the next question will be whether to move it on and replace it with an electro of some kind...
    What you need, my friend, is a Rickenbacker :naughty:
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5368
    Well, if you're giving it away ...
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Snags said:
    Need to tune the fucker, first :skull: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoans said:
    Snags said:
    Need to tune the fucker, first :skull: 
    No, change the strings. Then you'll need a nice nap and a large drink. DAMHIK, IJD, OK? 
  • moremore Frets: 230
    I can't   recommend one > have been looking to buy a good , cheep, second hand for a wile . All the ones I have looked at had  problems . The problem with 12 string is the string strain is too much for most guitars , you need  look carefully  at the guitar before parting  with any  cash . It makes  online  purchases   a bit risky  
  • I have a couple of decent aucostics and I was also looking at 12 strings at the cheaper end of market. I purchased an avalon AD60 and it was a dog. Nearly impossible to get it to stay in tune. Action was dreadful and broke 2 strings trying to get it to pitch. It went straight back. I think you will struggle with a cheap 12 string. I quickly realised that for something I will rarely play I have now put my 12 string quest to bed 
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    I was browsing things I don’t need this morning and noticed Thomann had reduced these from £250 to £119...

https://m.thomann.de/gb/recording_king_rds_9_12_ts_12_string.htm

I got one of their parlours for the same price a few months back and I am very happy with it.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3542
    Played an Alvarez cheapie..nice. the Taylor 110 is nice. £800 new but probably much less used
  • I’ve had my Fender F55 12 string from new in 75 and has been rock solid all its life, just restrung it machineheads are shyte but vintage correct and once in tune not bad enough to warrant changing so highly recommended as I think I’ve doubled my money in the last 45 years! ( I paid £75 for it) 

Have just stuck a Fishman soundhole single coil in it which works well apart from the A string which is way out of balance just a hole bunch louder when I hit it , trying to adjust my technique rather than re invest
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    Have a look at the Vintage Viator Paul Brett 12 string. Small body, great sound, built in pickup and USB output   it also comes in a nice gigbag. Don't be put off  by the dinkiness, with some setting up it's a cracking instrument. 
  • +1 on the Eko. A mate at one years ago (maybe he still does, I haven't spoken to him in years). It was fantastic. They can also be branded as Vox (Jimmy Page used one).
  • My son has one of these black 12 strings.
    https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbd20012bk_12stringwestern.htm?ref=mpd_aa_2
    It’s a nice looking and sounding guitar for £99
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1014
    edited September 2020
    Sigma?

I always had a 12 string urge, particularly an acoustic one, but as you say they take up a lot of space, so I built an electric one that I play unplugged. It plays really well, stays in tune and has banished my 12 string acoustic urge to the far reaches of my mind. I always tune to D standard too, and that seems to help stability.
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GTCGTC Frets: 263
    I have a couple of decent aucostics and I was also looking at 12 strings at the cheaper end of market. I purchased an avalon AD60 and it was a dog. Nearly impossible to get it to stay in tune. Action was dreadful and broke 2 strings trying to get it to pitch. It went straight back. I think you will struggle with a cheap 12 string. I quickly realised that for something I will rarely play I have now put my 12 string quest to bed 
    I couldn't believe that Avalon were capable of producing "a dog" and AD60 didn't sound like an Avalon model number. I think you might mean the Alvarez AD60 dread from the cheaper "Artist" series.
  • 35 years ago I had an ARIA 12 string in my grubby hands for a while  
    It was a lovely instrument with lovely highs and lows and a big jangly middle using light gauge strings 
    It stayed in tune as  well as any others I have tried and I would have kept it if it had been mine but it had to go back!
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    JCA2550 said:
    Have a look at the Vintage Viator Paul Brett 12 string. Small body, great sound, built in pickup and USB output   it also comes in a nice gigbag. Don't be put off  by the dinkiness, with some setting up it's a cracking instrument. 
    Yep