Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Small bass practice amps

What's Hot
Not sure whether this should be in bass or amps, but here goes...

Short version: What's a good small, cheap practice amp for bass?

Longer version: I've got a new (guitar) practice amp so my old one (a Backstar ID Core 10) is now spare. My daughter plays a bit of bass and has been borrowing the Blackstar occasionally, so now I've got another small amp I'd be happy give her the Blackstar (which she obviously thinks is a good idea!).  It sounds quite good for bass but obviously a lot of the features and effects are really aimed at guitar.  So the thing is, would she be better off with something else if I give her the proceeds of selling the Core 10 (looks like I'd get about £50 on a good day)?  Would a Fly Bass be more appropriate, or something else completely?  She still lives at home so still has access to my kit if she wants - so this would only be for playing in her room.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    A pre-owned small Roland Bass Cube does a lot for not much money. If you want the amp to be a keeper, consider a Fender Rumble Studio 40.

Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    I would get a more traditional amp with a larger speaker, they just sound better - even just an 8". The Fender Rumble 15 is actually pretty decent for a small practice amp - it has an effective compressor so it can't be overdriven, which makes all the difference with a small amp, it means you don't have to keep it at a uselessly low volume to avoid horrible farty distortion. Also has headphone and aux in jacks.

They're £89 new so you should be able to find a second hand one for about £50-60 if you don't want to spend the extra.

As Funkfingers said, one of the slightly larger ones will do even for more serious use later.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I used to have an ash down tourbus 10. I don’t like ashdown amps but this was ok for what it was , 
  • Thanks folks. 

The idea is for something small to use in her (already full) room rather than anything giggable.  My little Blackstar actually does the job fine at small room volume.

I was going to give her the Blackstar and just wondered if it might be worth selling/trading it for something more bass-specific, but I have no intention of throwing any more money at it at this point.  She mainly plays violin and ukulele but has recently acquired a U-bass and has been getting quite into that - so it does make an acoustic sound, just sounds different through an amp.

I'll have a look at what's available secondhand around the value of the Blackstar - it really doesn't need to be at all loud, and being physically small is quite important (it's not a very big room and she's a typically messy 15-yo - there's certainly no room for a proper-sized bass amp). I had considered suggesting she gets a headphone amp like an amplug.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    Something like the Roland Bass Cube alluded to above is to be avoided IMHO.  A simple amp like the Fenders already mentioned or something small like the Blackstar Fly Bass is what is needed.  The sheer number of sounds and effects on the Cube is more likely to overwhelm her rather than inspire her.  No bass player was ever sacked for keeping it simple.  Assuming of course said player locks into the band groove.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23964
    Another vote for the Roland Cube.

I have quite an old one and it’s never let me down. Sounds very good. I still use mine even though I have a silly money main bass rig.

The older 20XL version can be found used and cheap under £100. 

• wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 255
    edited August 2020
    Check out my SWR setup, bit more than your budget, but it’s something she could grow with. Has switchable headphone out socket for silent practice & is a compact piece of kit. https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/188078/swr-workingmans-10-bass-combo-matching-1x10-cab#latest
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Fender Rumble 15, 25 or 40 as space and budget will allow. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Check out my SWR setup, bit more than your budget, but it’s something she could grow with. Has switchable headphone out socket for silent practice & is a compact piece of kit. https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/188078/swr-workingmans-10-bass-combo-matching-1x10-cab#latest
    That's an amazing rig for the money. I've never tried one with the cabinet, but from my only experience with the combo I would say... don't be fooled by the small size and the 80W rating.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Rocker said:
    Roland Bass Cube ... to be avoided. ... The sheer number of sounds and effects on the Cube is more likely to overwhelm her rather than inspire her.  
    I suggested the Cube Bass series for purely budgetary reasons. Based on other Discussions where the OP has referred to his daughter's musical activities, I reckon she has sufficient good taste to know when to switch off the effect gimmicks. If pushed, I could probably rattle off a list of negative comments about Roland Cube Bass amps.

I used to have an ashdown tourbus 10. I don’t like ashdown amps but this was ok for what it was
    Ashdown bass amplifiers are fine ... right up until the moment when they stop working properly.  :3

ICBM said:
    a more traditional amp with a larger speaker
    Good thinking, Batman. 

Check out my SWR setup
    That is a very tempting home/recording rig, sir. 

http://support.swramps.com/manuals/pdfs/wm10_12_15_om.PDF

Be seeing you.
  • Thanks again for more ideas :)  I think what will end up happening is we'll keep the Blackstar for her to use until she's got money and/or more idea what she wants from an amp, then sell it and let her have the proceeds towards whatever she decides to do.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I have a Roland micro cube for practice. Very small and sounds good at home volume, I really like it.

The one thing on it that's rubbish is the tap tempo button for the little drum machine. It's impossible to use intelligently, they should have stuck a knob on.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23964
    Rocker said:
    Something like the Roland Bass Cube alluded to above is to be avoided IMHO.  A simple amp like the Fenders already mentioned or something small like the Blackstar Fly Bass is what is needed.  The sheer number of sounds and effects on the Cube is more likely to overwhelm her rather than inspire her.  No bass player was ever sacked for keeping it simple.  Assuming of course said player locks into the band groove.
    Just because you can't name a bass player that was sacked because the playing was too simple, doesn't mean others can't.

Ron McGovney. Sacked by Metallica to be replaced by the far busier player Cliff Burton. And it's well documented that Burton was pursued because he was a busier player and actual bass soloist.

Pursued to the point that Metallica actually moved cities because Burton wouldn't move to where Metallica were based.

So you can retire your favourite comment now.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    I bought a fly bass a year or so ago just to play the occasional bedroom stuff. Really pleased with it, that I added the Extra speaker and I play guitar through it too
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    I kept it simple when I started out playing bass in my first band, but they sacked me  :#
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Warwick BC10
    Very small and light but sounds like BASS.
    Cheap too.
  • mbe said:
    I kept it simple when I started out playing bass in my first band, but they sacked me  :#
    Don't worry. Rocker would have sacked Nate Watts from Stevie Wonder's band.

Can you imagine "Sir Duke" with just root notes? Urgh!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I used a HT1 during practise for a few bands. Sounded great through a 212 PA cab I had.

Testing gear in shops I particularly liked the Bass Cube. I probably would have bought one if I had need for one. A rehearsal room I used with a different band had a Laney Rickter, so a practise-sized one might be good also.

I haven't liked the Blackstar bass amps I've played through in shops, although the on-board chorus was nice and used found myself playing Dancing in the Moonlight which might please @Rocker .

Not sure if Harley Benton has anything, but could be another option.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I have an old Laney practice bass amp - about 20 watts. Sounds great, has a few effects, and a compressor and line out for recording. They go cheap on eBay these days but had rave reviews when released.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Roland Microcube is phenomenal VFM.  I also have a Phil Jones Bass 70w...........either of them ideal