SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB Roland GR20 or similar

phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
Im looking for a synthesizer that will be compatible with my Roland ready strat
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    The GR-20 would make a simple, affordable starting point. Unfortunately, to get the best out of it, you need additional momentary pedal switches for patch selection. (Yes, the Up/Down switching on the guitar can do this BUT that is a terrible waste of two assignable switches.) It might work out cheaper overall to get a pre-owned GR-33 or the venerable GR-1. These already have the footswitches built-in plus a bigger, better display.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I have one you can have at a reasonable price. Only used in a studio.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    There is now somebody - not me, guv'nor - offering BOSS FS-5U footswitches at a very reasonable price in this forum subsection. 
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    would a roland VG-88 be a good option?
    phil_b said:

It depends on what you're after. I'd say no as the VG88 has a lot of guitar and amp modelling which in my opinion sounds dated when compared to modern modellers like the Line 6 Helix etc.

I have a GR33, GR20, and GR55 - the old GR33 has some nice sounds but the tracking isn't as good. The GR20 is an excellent unit with a wide range of useable sounds. The GR55 adds more modern amp and guitar modelling and the ability to have altered tunings without having to retune your guitar.

If you want to try out guitar synth tech you can have my GR20 for £65.

edited August 2020
    Fretwired said:

@Fretwired ;; Damm it

you were literally 2 mins too late. I just bought one on ebay and it did cost me more than that 
    phil_b said:
    VG-8 and -88 are self-contained digital modelling systems of guitar-type sounds. The synthesizer waveforms (including a GR-300 simulation) only arrived with the VG-99.
    thanks for the info

I bought a GR20. it is really just for a bit of fun and the novelty factor rather than anything musical so it was the synth sounds I was after rather that guitar tone modelling
    phil_b said:
    Fretwired said:

@Fretwired ;; Damm it

you were literally 2 mins too late. I just bought one on ebay and it did cost me more than that 

I did say I had one for sale ....

Fretwired said:
    phil_b said:
    Fretwired said:

@Fretwired ;; Damm it

I did send a PM to you asking for a price after you posted that. It was just very unfortunate if I had waited just a few more minutes we could have done a deal. Sorry about that.

phil_b said:
    Fretwired said:
    phil_b said:
    Fretwired said:

@Fretwired ;; Damm it

I did send a PM to you asking for a price after you posted that. It was just very unfortunate if I had waited just a few more minutes we could have done a deal. Sorry about that.

Odd, I have no PM. Nevermind .. enjoy your new unit. The GR20 is cool .. Vernon Reid uses one live.

Fretwired said:

Odd, I have no PM. Nevermind .. enjoy your new unit. The GR20 is cool .. Vernon Reid uses one live.

looks like I messed that up too then.

edited September 2020
    GR20 arrived today and it feels like I have discovered some sort of guitar witchcraft
  • Crack the manual. Follow the procedure for setting the Sensitivity of the hexaphonic pickup. That done, you can get into triggering the sounds properly.

Basic block chordal washes will work in the Chromatic Polyphonic mode. Fancy string bending tricks require Mono mode A.K.A. MIDI Mode 4. 
    Crack the manual. Follow the procedure for setting the Sensitivity of the hexaphonic pickup. That done, you can get into triggering the sounds properly.

@Funkfingers ; I did have a slight problem with the sensitivity. Even with it turned up tp max it only lights 3 LED's of the meter. but it does make sound at least.

Basic block chordal washes will work in the Chromatic Polyphonic mode. Fancy string bending tricks require Mono mode A.K.A. MIDI Mode 4. 
    I really have no idea what this means

• If, under previous ownership, your guitar had been mostly used as a straightforward electric guitar, it is possible that the Roland hexaphonic pickup had been adjusted downwards to get it “out of the way”. 

The hexaphonic pickup needs to be adjusted closer to the strings than you might expect. (We are talking feeler gauge distances.) Its coils and magnets are tiny. They are unlikely to cause wolftones. 

phil_b said:
    Not to worry.

Having now re-read the product review in Sound On Sound magazine, I am reminded that the note triggering modes are not user programmable. They are predetermined by the unit on a per preset basis.

Suffice it to say that piano, organ and clav sounds will respond chromatically. They should not respond to string bending until the bend reaches the next recognisable semitone pitch up or down. 

Monosynth preset sounds should only produce one note at a time. Each new note cuts off the previous one. Chords will not work.

I could write more on this topic but it is unlikely to help at this early stage.
    If, under previous ownership, your guitar had been mostly used as a straightforward electric guitar, it is possible that the Roland hexaphonic pickup had been adjusted downwards to get it “out of the way”. 

The hexaphonic pickup needs to be adjusted closer to the strings than you might expect. (We are talking feeler gauge distances.) Its coils and magnets are tiny. They are unlikely to cause wolftones. 

yes raising the pickup sorted that problem out

phil_b said:
    Not to worry.

Having now re-read the product review in Sound On Sound magazine, I am reminded that the note triggering modes are not user programmable. They are predetermined by the unit on a per preset basis.

Suffice it to say that piano, organ and clav sounds will respond chromatically. They should not respond to string bending until the bend reaches the next recognisable semitone pitch up or down. 

Monosynth preset sounds should only produce one note at a time. Each new note cuts off the previous one. Chords will not work.

I could write more on this topic but it is unlikely to help at this early stage.
    thanks that makes scene. one thing i noticed on piano for example is when i fret and play a note it works but if I lift off before the string has stopped vibrating it will then play the open string note (a bit annoying in you did not mean that note to be played) I guess you have to have super clean technique
  • So how are you finding the GR20 Phil
    I'm thinking of trying 1 also, never used one before
    Can you change patches etc from pedal
    Flattop said:
    So how are you finding the GR20 Phil
    I'm thinking of trying 1 also, never used one before
    Can you change patches etc from pedal

to be honest im not a good enough player to do anything useful with it but it fun to play around with the sounds.

the pedal has two selector knobs that you can use to select the patch you want. My roland ready strat has two buttons that allow me to scroll up and down the patches from the guitar.