Playing your live rig at home

What's Hot
Ok, maybe I'm lucky but despite a small house and not exactly being loaded, a converted garage allows me to play at rehearsal/stage volumes at home, no modelling just old school valve loudness. Nothing against modellers but it is a nice privilege to have and the way pushed valves respond to my playing dynamics is something I'd hate to lose. Point is, I'm curious to know if playing through modellers alters the nuances in your playing to the extent that going back to valves becomes a learning experience? Who models at home but cranks a different rig when playing live?
'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 841
    edited September 2020
    I model and home, and crank the same modeller live....

But I do use an AFX2 though a power station and 2x12 cab - so the differences are less obvious that going into a PA. 
  • JotaJota Frets: 464
    edited September 2020
    For years all I used was my amps, at home or live. I could actually push them more at home and was a bit more restricted on stage!

Last year I had to get a HX Stomp cause the band I'm playing with runs direct. Still used my amps at home and with another band I had.
    I quit that band where I used amps and since Septembre 2019 I had people at home constantly so, I started to use the HX Stomp more and more.
    Finally, this week I'm back at being home alone for some hours and I'm gonna try to get back to amps again but, since the lockdown, I tried my amps a few times and end up getting back to the HX Stomp.
    If I ever get back to a band where everyone is using amps, I'll enjoy the amps again but, the HX Stomp made me realize that none of my amps have "my sound". I can get much closer to the ideal sound in my head through the HX Stomp.
    Also, my head hurts after a few minutes with my amps. It never happens with the HX Stomp (I use in-ears at home and on stage).
    The only thing I miss is the simplicity of plug and play. To get where I am now, very happy with the sounds on the HX Stomp, I had to spend hours tweaking.

So, we'll see how it turns out but I always considered myself an "amp guy"... not anymore.
    For the last months I've been toying with the idea of selling two amps and keep just one. I'd take a hard hit on one of them (little resale value) so I might just keep it...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I play one of these at home
     and a Marshall amp cab and pedalboard live.  I don't have any issues switching between the two. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Before my live rig was a 6505+ into an Orange 4x12 and there's no way I could play that at home! Even on 0.5 post gain (master volume on the red channel basically) its still pretty loud! And with a converted garage which isn't soundproofed fully I probably couldn't get away with 2 on the volume.

This year I've switched to a Kemper and I can turn the volume through monitors to a good level. I actually find my playing faults are exposed more through monitors than a real tube amp into a cabinet. Don't know why but its made my playing a bit more neater esp under high gain!
  • Valves hide a multitude of sins, it's why we like them ;)
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I use the same pedal board with speaker simulator at home and 30w valve combo live (Peavy Delta Blues).  It works fine for me but at sound check I do tend to get the 'that's what its supposed to sound like!' moment : )