DIY nitro finish - any tips?

What's Hot
I am planning to do my first nitro paint job, on an unfinished ash tele body. Going for a butterscotch finish. 
Apart from the grain fill, sand, seal, plenty of layers, buff with t cut stuff, is there anything I'd need to look out for, or any neat tricks anyone can offer?

All advice very gratefully received, as I would quite like to get it right

cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    See @SteveRobinson 's website for tips and aerosol nitro cans:

https://manchesterguitartech.co.uk/
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    that's funny, this is exactly where I went and what convinced me I could do it. Had no idea he was one of our own. That;s where I will be getting my stuff from too.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    Thank you.

Top tip - make sure each step is done properly before progressing to the next one. Don't rush it.

Remove any excess grain filler before it hardens, you want it in the pores, not on the surface. A wad of hessian is very useful. It may take 2 goes to get the grain filling done but it's worth it.
    Thanks Steve, I'll be ordering all the stuff you listed in your piece on doing a butterscotch finish. Just need to get the actual body first. And a proper mask. ....
    Just ordered a few things from your site. Just need a couple more things and I am on my way with this project. 
    tFB Trader
    Thanks I'll get them off tomorrow, with you on Friday. The weekend should be fine for spraying I think?
  • Do your flatting on the sealer coat, saves you much time later.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Do your flatting on the sealer coat, saves you much time later.
    Yes. And before that, the wood. 
    Thanks I'll get them off tomorrow, with you on Friday. The weekend should be fine for spraying I think?
    Cheers. the body arrived yesterday and I am really pleased with it, lovely grained ash and nicely routed and finished. I will be following your butterscotch guide religiously! Yes, me in Sheffield was the order. No rush, I need to get a new bridge so I can mark it out first on the bare wood, drill the pilot holes in before finishing it.

First job will be a thorough sand and fill, and I'll take it from there. No urgency, steady and hopefully smoothly does it.

I was thinking 3 saddle trad bridge, but I have decided to go for a six saddle Gotoh modern style. Tone Rider Hot Classics are already in the old body, but I will be putting a four way switch in the new one. Very impressed with those pups. I had the stock Fender Mex pups in there before, and the tone riders are a lot better, much more lively and quite gnarly.

tFB Trader
    I would finish before drilling holes. 

If you wet sand and get water in drilled holes, the wood can swell cracking the lacquer.
    thanks Steve, that's good advice. On the same principle, then I guess for existing holes (ferrules and routes), you need to seal as best as possible, before applying lacquer?
    tFB Trader
    Pickup and control routes aren't an issue but after painting and before wet sanding I'd fill the ferrule and neck screw holes with wax. Or just keep water out of them. Some people wet sand using white spirit as the lubricant which doesn't swell the wood but I've never tried that.
    cheers, wax it will be. I'd be worried using white spirit would knacker the finish, or risk sanding through more than water. Would be dead chuffed with that!
    All the kit arrived today Steve, thanks, and the colour looks just right. Tomorrow I start sanding. If I can get some pics of the journey together, I will do a story etc.

Started sanding the grain filler yesterday. I put quite a bit on, possibly a little too thick. Left to dry overnight on Saturday.
    Quite a bit of graft and paper to get it down to 400 grit smooth. Did the back and one edge. So far so good. Using quite a bit of paper as the filler clogs it up quite quickly. Having to start with coarser paper just to get the top layer off, then down to 400 to finish.

Seems to be going well, and the grain looks to be nicely filled. Planning to get it sanded this week, ready for sealing and paint next weekend. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrn1989mrn1989 Frets: 240
    Keep it going, sanding filler is a messy job lol Don't forget to show us your progress chap 
    Fretboard Feedback https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58705/  ALSO Over 500+ 100% feedback eBay transactions 
  • My mate built a rotating jig to hold the body. The body swivels on a pin in the bottom strap pin hole and a piece of timber attached to the neck pocket. I sprayed in the shed under a couple of halogen spots to keep it warm. Picked up another can of clear to finish off my job yesterday from top chap Steve Robinson. I think the key thing is to be confident when spraying. I have found micromesh pads to be good for polishing, then finish with T-Cut or similar.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Pics!
    I'll put some pics up once i have sussed how to! Finding the whole thing very relaxing tbh, out in the garden, in the sun, sanding away.....happy days.

till it gets cold and wet!