Jeff Lynne (not dead!)

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24295
edited September 2020 in Music
What a lovely guy.  What a songwriter.  There are very few like him.
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• One is definitely enough.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3306
    Still delivering and great songwriter and very self-effacing live.

I've enjoyed the 2 ELO shows I've seen over the last few years and his backing band, the actual Take That band minus the singers, have been an excellent fit. I love that he includes a non-ELO song, 'Handle with Care', in his set
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5416
    He's got his own "sound" too that he imparts onto others as a producer... you can hear a Jeff Lynne production from a mile off, and that's not a bad thing. Wilburys, Tom Petty, others have it in spades. I like that he's got a signature 'sound' that way and it works.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    An amazing and enduring career. Out of the blue was the first album I ever bought, I still love it. It was a great time when all those amazing singles were hitting the charts, and ELO in particular had a unique sound as well.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    I thought this was going to be an RIP thread.

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13939
    edited September 2020
    Whitecat said:
    He's got his own "sound" too that he imparts onto others as a producer... you can hear a Jeff Lynne production from a mile off, and that's not a bad thing. Wilburys, Tom Petty, others have it in spades. I like that he's got a signature 'sound' that way and it works.
    He has and I don't like it on all songs. It's typically layers of "DI" sounding electric guitars mixed with acoustic guitars and some slide playing over the top and some big roomy sounding drums.

It has it's place but on every song, I think he ruined the Beatles "new" songs Free As a Bird and Real Love from the Anthology series, they sounded like ELO songs.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • One of our Tesco delivery guys is a bit of a Jeff Lynne lookalike. 
    Whitecat said:
    He has and I don't like it on all songs. It's typically layers of "DI" sounding electric guitars mixed with acoustic guitars and some slide playing over the top and some big roomy sounding drums.

It has it's place but on every song, I think he ruined the Beatles "new" songs Free As a Bird and Real Love from the Anthology series, they sounded like ELO songs.

Enormously talented guy but sometimes you want to say enough is enough, it's like wow this is great chilli sauce but I didn't want it on my ice cream as well. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72305
    edited September 2020
    He does have an extremely distinctive sound, both production/arrangement and as a songwriter - he does tend to sound a bit the same on everything, perhaps a bit more than I’d want him to. That said he’s responsible for some of my favourite music from my childhood, and one album that (to me at least) is still absolutely astonishing even today... but not Out Of The Blue, although it’s very good.

Time.

In my opinion possibly the greatest concept album ever made, and amazingly un-dated given that it was made forty years ago and is about the future.

I’m also quite sure that an important part of Blade Runner 2049 is based on it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5416
    Whitecat said:

Ahhh yes I agree with you there - almost forgotten that he had done those, and they definitely were not as good as they could have been. But the examples I mentioned above I really like. :)
  • He’s alright. Written some good pop stuff.  I have two problems with him, though. 

1. He still looks like it’s 1976. Brings to mind Red Robbo, Morris Marinas, Double Diamond, Crossroads, denim flares worn with leather blazers, and the occasional shop sign still referring to prices in ‘new pence’.

2. The ‘slack’ drum sound on his post 80s work, which to me sound like a too long elastic band looped over an empty show box. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11292

Spot on, he relegated the Fab Four to being his backing musicians.

Never liked ELO, far too overblown. The Idle Race, however, were one of the great "undiscovered" bands of the sixties.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    Whitecat said:

It's interesting that he was obviously very influenced by the Beatles, but when he got to (sort of) work with them, and with Harrison, he made them sound like ELO.

I was a big ELO fan for a few years, they were the first band I really got into before discovering heavier rock music.  But I went off them when Discovery came out and I learned that all the cellists etc weren't actually on the record, it was all synthesisers.

He's a talented chap though, undoubtedly.

• I wasn't with the outcome of the Beatles production, sounded way too ELO. 

I've seen clips of his recent gigs.  Very impressive that he and his band are able to sound so close to the record.  However for me it made it a bit dull, it was kind too sterile.  Each to his own.  I've still got the ELO greatest hits LP I bought as a lad.