Gig anxiety dream

What's Hot
horsehorse Frets: 1568
Strange time to have a gig anxiety dream seeing as I think the last one I played was in Feb:

I was playing keys in a theatre show of "The Music of The Simpsons"(!) Got to the sixth track of the set and after a few moments silence realised my band mates were looking at me to play an intro. I had played along with the tracks at home sufficient to jam through them, but had no idea how I should start this particular one, or indeed the next few in the set list.

Audience starts filing out for an early interval, muttering. Cross-examination from bandmates on what the hell I was doing!

It was uncomfortable enough that when I woke up I decided to look at my phone to avoid drifting straight back into the same dream.

Not sure why I'm sharing. Anybody else had a gig anxiety dream they can remember?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    Quite frequently. Usually being frozen (stagefright), not being able to see the fretboard when the lights are dimmed and equipment failure.

I've put it down to lack of playing live over this period
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    Kebabkid said:
    Quite frequently. Usually being frozen (stagefright), not being able to see the fretboard when the lights are dimmed and equipment failure.

I've put it down to lack of playing live over this period
     Interesting. I've got a "no prep" improvisation type jam coming up on Sunday, so wonder if it maybe related to that. Quite likely I suppose.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    I think being prepared and rehearsed, not obsessively so, when these things come up probably helps alleviate it.

Weird times and I preferred it when I was dreaming of Salma Hayek's dance routine in From Dusk Till Dawn but then I have a huge fear of snakes :(
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2234
    edited September 2020
    I'm the other way no anxiety at all because I don't know when I'm playing next. 

Assuming that the op isn't a regular theatre player this could be about playing in unfamiliar circumstances. 

I did a school production  of grease on bass years ago. I had music notes a low level light for music and fretboard and knew you're the one that I want hoo hoo hoo backwards.

On guitar I always work out what could go wrong for each application. Eg take clothes pegs for an outside reading gig. Unknown electricity supply take an RCB and so on.

Edit re no prep jams practise scales take a capo in case there's a sax player and take a tube screamer if using back line.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    slacker said:

Assuming that the op isn't a regular theatre player this could be about playing in unfamiliar circumstances. 

I did a school production  of grease on bass years ago. I had music notes a low level light for music and fretboard and knew you're the one that I want hoo hoo hoo backwards.

On guitar I always work out what could go wrong for each application. Eg take clothes pegs for an outside reading gig. Unknown electricity supply take an RCB and so on.

Edit re no prep jams practise scales take a capo in case there's a sax player and take a tube screamer if using back line.
     All good points, although I'm not actually anxious about the jam at all - I'm organising it and am comfortable about how it will work (or in the collective ability of the individuals involved to make it work) and not worried about my playing as it is just for enjoyment / less pressure than other stuff I previously did regularly pre covid.

The dream might be wrapping up the jam with uncertainty at work though maybe.
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1262
    edited September 2023
    [
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2234
    horse said:
    slacker said:

All good points, although I'm not actually anxious about the jam at all - I'm organising it and am comfortable about how it will work (or in the collective ability of the individuals involved to make it work) and not worried about my playing as it is just for enjoyment / less pressure than other stuff I previously did regularly pre covid.

The dream might be wrapping up the jam with uncertainty at work though maybe.
    My work situation is pretty bad at the moment. The way I deal with anxiety/worry is to give myself a time frame. So Im waiting a week for the result of a job interview. I'm not allowed to worry until the day I get the phone call. However I dont know how we can control dreams. 

Hang in there and enjoy the jam. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I had a dream that our singer had to wear a mask whilst playing live... muffled vocals, and the audience couldn't hear...

Best gig we'd played =)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Every dream I've had about gigging has been either being on stage unprepared or running around at stage time looking for equipment, without exception
  • Mine is always not having enough time to fully setup my rig within 15 minutes. And always missing a cable somewhere.