Suggested book for complete beginner

What's Hot
Hello,

I'm getting my wife an acoustic guitar for her birthday and wanted to get a beginner style book to go with it. Can anyone recommend one? There's a huge number on Amazon which have high ratings so it's difficult to pick from there!

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hi

the justin guitar beginner books are good. People may recommend the website as a single source place for learning by I used the books with the website as a backup. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't think Justin does a beginners book as such but there is a beginners songbook to accompany his online course or you can get the song book as an app.
    He has been reshooting some of his videos as filming standards have improved since he started, just seems to be an example of how seriously he takes it. 
    I think for working on songs then a book/ app can make more sense than video as it's easier to do at your own pace but for how to hold a guitar, how to hold a pick, where to put your fingers,etc, etc, the video content really makes a lot of sense.    
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • moremore Frets: 230
    I can see why you would want to add the  book , I would suggest you buy a better guitar and go to  justin guitar Beginner Guitar Lessons  Grad 1 . The lessons are free 
  • Thanks for the information. I'd seen the (seemingly) millions of beginner guitar tutorials on YouTube and was assuming that she'd end up using those for reference, so it's useful to know that these 'Justin guitar' ones are recommended. Perhaps I'll leave the book and just point her to those like you've suggested.
  • I’d also ask about on here for good guitar tech / luthier in your area.

Acoustics can really benefit from a pro setup. It shouldn’t cost a fortune, and you’ll know you have as friendly a guitar as you can get to start learning on  :)
  • Justin Guitar does a proper structured course  and knows what he is talking about. 

You could throw in a headstock tuner, the TC Unituner is about £21 and you'll see pros using these ( possibly because they were given them by TC but they use them nonetheless). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • The Justin guitar beginners book is where I started. It is excellent. It’s very structured and has lots of advice not just on what to play but how to practice which is really good.
    I would say get the beginners song book as well and use both. The whole point of learning that technique and those chords is to play tunes, and you can play some of the ones in that book with 3 cowboy chords and a bit of strumming technique.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • +1 for Justinguitar - get the accompanying book, plus his songbook and follow the beginner's course. It's hugely popular for a good reason
  • almacalmac Frets: 76
    +1 for Justin
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    +1 more for Justin.

The Beginner's Course Book that you can currently buy - the spiral bound edition - ties to the 'Classic' Beginner Course. Which the current App does too.

As he has almost finished creating his brand new, updated, improved, Beginner Course, a new book and an App upgrade will follow in due course.

But the existing spiral bound book is excellent.