SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

ON HOLD 1961 Melody Maker single cut 'Gus' £1895!

What's Hot
designerseye88designerseye88 Frets: 987
edited September 2020 in Guitars £
This is a 1961 Melody maker which in the late 60's / early 70's was modded with a pat no sticker TTop humbucker and PAT no Chrome Grovers. 

It pains me to sell this one but It's not getting played as it should and I need a new family car. 

Musical provenance
I am the 4th owner of this guitar, How do i know this? Well the chap i bought it from purchased this guitar from the estate of Gus Yeadon who was a musician from the late 60's who traded for this guitar while on a tour in Sweden back in the 60's from the original owner. This guitar was used extensively by Gus on many records, one of which is in the pictures with Gus holding this very guitar with the added pickup. The guitar comes with its case which is a time capsule in itself covered in stickers from the 60's and 70's and were probably picked up along with the gigs and studio sessions he attended. It also includes some of Gus's records and written song lyrics.

Condition 
The guitar has everything you would want from a great player and the T Top pickup is simply divine. The neck is nice and chunky and doesn't appear very slim. Don't be fooled by this being a one pickup guitar, it's glorious and the most resonant instrument I own. Regarding condition the main things to note is obviously the pickup route has been enlarged, The pots have been changed by but the originals are in the case. The knobs are the original ones, the tailpiece is a Mojoaxe replacement (I cannot find the original bridge from the pics). The pic guard was changed to a mirrored plastic one by Gus so I've left it as it. I have not done anything to the pickup rout nor has it been re-fretted but the new owner may wish to work on these if required. 
The guitar has no breaks that I can see and the finish is original and has beautiful checking all over.

NOW £1895

I'm afraid I won't ship this one but happy to meet within a reasonable distance of Bristol. 

1reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5160
    Coolest thing I’ve ever seen  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22793
    I hope you get a good price for this, there's a lovely sense of history about it.
  • Cooler than a naked Eskimo on an ice floe!  GLWTS!
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5753
    Even the case is something to get excited about 
  • dazzajl said:
    Even the case is something to get excited about 
    Shit: I didn't even notice the guitar!
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • Just looking back at the previous discussion about Gus he was in The Elastic Band in the 1960s for a bit and then in later versions of The Love Affair ( oddly named Steve Ellis's Love Affair at times, funny to me as my late brother is Steve Ellis and he was a bit notorious for his wandering hands) and in a band called Zzebra - all reflected in the stickers on that case - as well as his solo projects.  Also known as Gus Eadon and Ted Yeadon. He passed away in 2010.  
    GLWTS. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Lovely thing! I was the second highest bidder when it was on ebay the first time around. Wish I could afford it!
  • Weekend bump 
  • Price drop 
  • bump
  • Very cool indeed. Can I ask what its value would be if there was no connection to a known musician?
  • @lovestrat74 really interesting question, I think in this case I haven’t really added any value due to the connection to a musician as Gus wasn’t really that well known, I think it’s just nice but of provenance and history.
    It’s a hard guitar to value but my thinking was that if this was an unmolested one it’d would probably go for 2k, but this one has the added bonus of the Pat number sticker T Top, the pat pending grovers and original bridge which together are pretty valuable, add in the case and the extra mojo bridge and hopefully my price seems fair. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just got it out the case and it sound oh so sweet through my little Vox cranked, I don’t think I’m ready to let this one go yet 
  • pruddprudd Frets: 660
    Just got it out the case and it sound oh so sweet through my little Vox cranked, I don’t think I’m ready to let this one go yet 
    That is a very wise move on your part :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Back up for sale after some pondering and nagging by my other half. Been reduced down to under £2k!
  • designerseye88designerseye88 Frets: 987
    edited September 2020
    Will add new pics asap and maybe some kind of video 
  • bump 
  • Price drop
  • On Hold 
  • Hello. Did this sell?