Laney Super Cub

What's Hot
longshinslongshins Frets: 246
I really like the look of these, perfect feature set for me plus the demos sound great too. 

Has anyone tried one? Anything worth worrying about? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'll let you know first half of next week. Got one incoming.
  • It arrived this morning so only had an hour or so with it. Sounds good and feels right after using modelling for a little while. Not bags of gain but with the boost engaged can certainly get up to old school rock and metal (Sabbath, early Maiden etc not Metallica) which is more than I need to be fair. Lower gain and up to early ZZTop tones are excellent. Cleans and reverb are great and reckon it will play nicely with my (few) pedals but am enjoying plugging straight in at the minute which is promising.
    Feels pretty solid and a step up from the old Cub series although I actually prefer the look of the older one.
    Nice and light and plenty loud enough. I'd probably use a 2x12 for outdoor or larger gigs but if we ever get back to playing pubs this will be fine on its own.
    Spent most of the time on the 1 watt input so far but will get to wind it up on Sunday.
    With a little luck I'll get a couple of YouTube clips up later in the week.
    Sorry for waffling on but am waiting to collect folks from flu jab so nothing else to do :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • How’s the headroom and general tonality? I suppose I need to wait until you’ve had a chance to use it at band...
  • Always find tonalty is a bit hard to describe as everyone has their own sound in mind....errr British and crunchy is about as much as I can contribute as that's the sound I use all the time and it does it very well. 

• longshins said:
    How’s the headroom and general tonality? I suppose I need to wait until you’ve had a chance to use it at band...
    Funnily enough I have a socially distanced jam this weekend so will definitely be  cranked up properly.
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    edited September 2020
    @cbilly22 ;Goodness me, this amp looks very tempting. 

I enjoyed reading your description of the sounds- on the contrary not waffly at all. 

How would you describe the cleans? 

And is it an amp where you’re happy with its own drive sounds alone, would you use a pedal as a booster or would you use it as the proverbial ‘pedal platform’? 

Cheers. 
  • Redlester said:
    @cbilly22 ;;Goodness me, this amp looks very tempting. 

I enjoyed reading your description of the sounds- on the contrary not waffly at all. 

How would you describe the cleans? 

And is it an amp where you’re happy with its own drive sounds alone, would you use a pedal as a booster or would you use it as the proverbial ‘pedal platform’? 

Cheers. 
    I don't really ever do totally clean but it's not really a clean sound/ pedal platform with stacked drive pedals amp, it doesn't have the head room and you won't get very loud before you start getting some hair in the sound. You could work with it but you would be better with something else if that's your set up.
    As a little box of classic rock it's great. It works much better as a mid gain, crunchy sound that can be goosed with a boost/drive or with the on board boost but I could happily gig it without pedals 
    I am actually using the boost on all the time for more gain in the core sound then rolling off the guitar volume for (what I consider) cleans and a TC mini boost in the loop as a lift for solos without adding any more saturation. With gain and boost both on 6 it's a hotter AC/DC sound and it barks in a way that makes me think it will cut in a band mix.
    I prefer it with PRS humbuckers than Tele single coils but do generally so that might not mean much, but it still sounds great with the Tele. As with most little combos a neck 'bucker can get a little flubby on chords but I rarely use a neck humbucker for rhythm so not fussed by that.
    The 1 watt setting makes it kinda usable at home but it still gets bloody loud quite quick. 15w will be more than adequate with my band but reckon it could sound huge with a 2x12.
    I like it but I also liked the old ones and this sort of amp suits me. As always your mileage may vary. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @cbilly22 Cheers mate. 
  • Just listened to some demos on Youtube. Sounds great. I've had quite a few Laney amps and liked all of them. I'd like to hear one of these next to my Bassbreaker 15 for comparison. Seem in a similar ballpark.
  • Just listened to some demos on Youtube. Sounds great. 
    Couple of mine on there now, though they might not be the ones that sound great.