Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Famous Artists You Have Played With Or Supported

What's Hot

Comments

• When I accompanied a guitarist friend of mine when he.was.buying a drum kit (I drove), he was told the kit was on the same stage as Bill Haley and His Comets (his band played a festival the night before).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Denny Laine when I was 18.. he was a real obnoxious arse... but given the venue, I bet he wondered where he'd been sent... lol
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• StefBStefB Frets: 2331
    I was DJing at a local Man Utd supporter's club anniversary meal a few years ago and had to cue up some backing tracks for special guest Andy Whyment (Kirk Sutherland from Corrie) to 'sing'. 

Nice bloke, but to call him a mediocre singer would be being kind.  The only song I recall him doing was The Power of Love by Huey Lewis.

Steven Arnold who played Ashley Peacock ("It's not right Uncle Fred") was also there.  Turns out the pair of them (plus Alan Halsall who plays Tyrone Dobbs) are members of the local supporters club as it was the only way they could get tickets to matches at Old Trafford at the time.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Played a gig years ago and Linda Nolan was on the bill, her guitarist didn't show so I stepped in
    Gino Garcia, Prince's percussionist played on our album in the '90's
    Supported the Pacedinas n the 90's and the guitarist 'Prince Samson' nicked my telecaster
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • deloreandelorean Frets: 224
    edited September 2020
    My band were managed by spoon-interferer Uri Geller, and in 2002 we were personally invited by Geller and his best chum Michael Jackson to open an event at Exeter Stadium (St James Park) for Jacko himself.

Playing onstage to a capacity stadium audience was an experience in itself,  let alone doing so for probably one of the most well-known entertainers on the planet.  Mind blowing stuff for a (fairly) mild-mannered 22 year old lad!

It was a very cool day, and a *very* interesting night! 

That's all I have to say about that.
    0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • delorean said:
    My band were managed by spoon-interferer Uri Geller, and in 2002 we were personally invited by Geller and his best chum Michael Jackson to open an event at Exeter Stadium (St James Park) for Jacko himself.

Playing onstage to a capacity stadium audience was an experience in itself,  let alone doing so for probably one of the most well-known entertainers on the planet.  Mind blowing stuff for a (fairly) mild-mannered 22 year old lad!

That’s awesome and I’d be twisting your arm for more gory details if you were telling me this over a pint
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My band once got accidentally booked to support Thom Yorke's brother's band. They were a bit up themselves.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    Stuckfast said:
    My band once got accidentally booked to support Thom Yorke's brother's band. They were a bit up themselves.
    That may be a characteristic of bands one degree removed from real stars.

Some time ago we supported Isa And The Filthy Tongues, composed of three ex-Goodbye Mr. Mackenzie members and a new singer who isn't Shirley Manson... they were massively up themselves too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I sometimes get asked to step in for the rhythm guitarist in a band called The Dualers... supported UB40 ( the Robin and Duncan version ) a couple of years ago at Garon Park in Southend..biggest crowd I’ve played for..think there was around 6000 people there...ska band I was in also supported Neville Staples from The Specials .. :) 
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • delorean said:

That’s awesome and I’d be twisting your arm for more gory details if you were telling me this over a pint
    Oh christ, apparently after a few beers I'm unable to shut up about it, much to the annoyance of my friends! :lol: 

It was a fantastic experience though, and I've been chasing that particular dragon ever since (without success)!
  • Played on bills with a few well-known(ish) prog bands, but being prog, I wouldn't count them as 'famous' :) My covers band at uni also supported the guy who won Stars in Their Eyes as Tom Jones (unfortunately dead now), and my old metal band played at Download a few years ago which was cool. 

My favourite one wasn't playing with someone - it was when the prog band I was in had a rehearsal before we did a show to release our album. A chap (friend of the singer) came in to deliver boxes of CDs. He looked vaguely familiar, and turned out to be Dr himself from Dr and The Medics, which was nice, as their first album was the first one I ever bought. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    delorean said:

As long as it's not Uri who's doing the arm twisting....that could be painful. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • adaminoadamino Frets: 125

I played in band's supporting the following acts

Akon
    Bob Geldof
    Maroon 5
    Duran Duran
    Paradise Lost 
    Gigi D'alessio
    Claudio Baglioni
    Ziggy Marley
    Paul Young

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10645
    edited September 2020
    Played on bills with a few well-known(ish) prog bands, but being prog, I wouldn't count them as 'famous' My covers band at uni also supported the guy who won Stars in Their Eyes as Tom Jones (unfortunately dead now), and my old metal band played at Download a few years ago which was cool. 

My favourite one wasn't playing with someone - it was when the prog band I was in had a rehearsal before we did a show to release our album. A chap (friend of the singer) came in to deliver boxes of CDs. He looked vaguely familiar, and turned out to be Dr himself from Dr and The Medics, which was nice, as their first album was the first one I ever bought. 
    The weekend before lockdown we did a Queen set at Pontins; Clive et al were on after us. I’ve met him few times - nice bloke. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • viz said:
    Played on bills with a few well-known(ish) prog bands, but being prog, I wouldn't count them as 'famous' My covers band at uni also supported the guy who won Stars in Their Eyes as Tom Jones (unfortunately dead now), and my old metal band played at Download a few years ago which was cool. 

The weekend before lockdown we did a Queen set at Pontins; Clive et al were on after us. I’ve met him few times - nice bloke. 
    I was gutted I didn't find out till after! He looked really familiar and it was only when Huw, our singer, mentioned after that I found out. It's probably a good thing in hindsight as I would have made an idiot out of myself  =)
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    I was in a band with Andy Wicket, he was the lead singer of Duran Duran before Simon Le Bon and wrote Rio and Girls on Film*

I was 19, he was mid 30’s, he got us in Q, it came out the day after I quit, to this day it’s the only national press I ever got. 

When you listen to the demo we did you can really hear that SLB stole his vocal style from Andy. 

* sold both for £250 and a Korg keyboard when he left the band. 
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not sure if this counts, but when Gary Numan was setting up his first ever tour, I went to audition for the guitarist spot at a townhouse in Shepherds Bush just off the Green. Gary sat in the corner of the room with a female friend and never said a word or acknowledged my presence. Billie Currie ran the audition and showed me how to play the Minimoog part for Down In The Park. 

I didn't get it and I wasn't surprised! 
    I was once in a mental asylum in 1981  I was eating a packet of sweets  when a guy who looked like billy currie sidled up to me and said can I have one of them”  I said “sure mate “ and let him have a sweet . We lived a bit up the road from there in a newsagents and used to go there when my dad went to flog papers and sweets to staff and patients, it was a really cool place .

it was called Fairfield hospital in Arlesey off the A1 in herts/beds . It’s all been turned into private flats and housing estate now ,very sad as some of the people who would have been in such a facility nowadays will be living on the streets 
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1373
    Played a ‘Best of Sheffield’s unsigned acts’ type Event when I was was younger and took everything far too seriously. The Long Pigs were on before us and were bloody good. We weren’t! Had a chat to Crispin Hunt and Richard Hawley (I think) after. Nice fellas. 
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • I had a one to one guitar lesson with Steve Howe from YES back at the NEC Guitar show in 2003. It was pretty quiet that year as i think the rugby world cup final was the same day. He was a really nice guy and got a few things signed. I was only 15 at the time and didn't really know much about him but my dad was pleased.  
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom