Home Studio Desk Options

What's Hot
Hi, I'm thinking of ditching my super cheap ikea desk in favour of something more suitable.

What I have is really cramped and doesn't accommodate my midi controller/keyboard,  so what I'm looking for is a nice sized desk approx 130-140mm x 65-70mm with a pull out shelf on which the keyboard can sit.

I'm struggling to find quite what I'm looking for (in stock) and wonder if anyone has any recommendations or words of wisdom.

I don't have any rack mount gear so no need for slots to accommodate any.

A Zaor Miza Junior Mkii is probably the closest I've found, and would probably do. If only it were slightly wider...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6791
    Build one. A desk is only a worktop wth four legs. Adding a pullout shelf is simple and you can make it any size you like. I used a 82cm deep 18mm thick oak block worktop to make my wife an art table last month- looks awesome.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    Chris_J said:
    Hi, I'm thinking of ditching my super cheap ikea desk in favour of something more suitable.

What I have is really cramped and doesn't accommodate my midi controller/keyboard,  so what I'm looking for is a nice sized desk approx 130-140mm x 65-70mm with a pull out shelf on which the keyboard can sit.

I'm struggling to find quite what I'm looking for (in stock) and wonder if anyone has any recommendations or words of wisdom.

A Zaor Miza Junior Mkii is probably the closest I've found, and would probably do. If only it were slightly wider...

Buso Audio do several products that could suit and they can alter dimensions.

https://busoaudio.com/products/solo-88

I have a Producer XL that they made wider for me and gave me 16 rack units up top too.
    They aren't cheap but it is basically bespoke and the fit is excellent.
    Mine has survived being shipped to Singapore and back too.
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    octatonic said:
    Chris_J said:

Buso Audio do several products that could suit and they can alter dimensions.

https://busoaudio.com/products/solo-88

I have a Producer XL that they made wider for me and gave me 16 rack units up top too.
    They aren't cheap but it is basically bespoke and the fit is excellent.
    Mine has survived being shipped to Singapore and back too.
    Looks stunning, but,  a little bit past what I'm willing to spend at the mo.  I'll bare them in mind for the future though! Thanks for the recommendation. 
    mrkb said:
    Build one. A desk is only a worktop wth four legs. Adding a pullout shelf is simple and you can make it any size you like. I used a 82cm deep 18mm thick oak block worktop to make my wife an art table last month- looks awesome.

mrkb said:
    Something I'm looking into now, cheers!
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6791
    Chris_J said:
    mrkb said:

mrkb said:
    We used these - it was actually the 27mm tops we used, built my son a desk as well.

https://www.worktop-express.co.uk/solid-wood-worktops
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • I went for a Gear4music desk (see my other post). It’s larger than what you want but they make a couple of smaller ones as well, and have desks from other manufacturers.
    mrkb said:
    Chris_J said:
    mrkb said:

mrkb said:
    We used these - it was actually the 27mm tops we used, built my son a desk as well.

https://www.worktop-express.co.uk/solid-wood-worktops
    Funnily enough we were looking at them for our new kitchen worktops!
    I went for a Gear4music desk (see my other post). It’s larger than what you want but they make a couple of smaller ones as well, and have desks from other manufacturers.
    Will check them out, cheers!

Space is in short supply, so needs to be the right size and no larger. It's a small room in the roof space, so sloped ceilings to below waist height at the edges of the room.  I also have an electronic kit set up,  plus 8 guitars,  5 amps, pedal board,  bands pa and flight cased mixer,  plus my cased acoustic drum kit stored in there.  It's tight!
  • Yes, as mentioned above, build one.... Its a no brainer. 
    If you can use a saw and a screwdriver it's a doddle. 
    You can build to your preferred dimensions too
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3535
    Thomann have a bunch. They also seem to do the ones you see on g4m's site a lot cheaper..
  • BodBod Frets: 1299
    I built my first one from an Ikea solid wood table top and adjustable legs.  I added a sliding keyboard shelf using runners and a bit of pine shelving from B&Q.  Make sure you make it a little taller than normal to allow for your knees under the shelf though.
  • MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    edited October 2020
    Have a look on the Thomann site.£130 free delivery to UK.
    On-Stage

On-Stage WS7500RB

On-Stage WS7500RB
  • I have one of these ready to go just waiting on some new flooring.

Millenium SD-180 B StudioDesk

Millenium SD-180 B StudioDesk

Those look great!

In the end I went the DIY route and put together an Ikea hack style desk similar to the one in this video...

Ok, it not perfect, but, it's better than what I had before.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    That looks good, was planning cobbling a pull out keyboard tray for mine, but tucking it under the monitor riser looks like a good option 
  • Anyone got any thoughts on monitor positions when you have 3 screens? i have to have mine higher than ideal (main drivers about an inch above my ears rathen than tweeters pointing at ears) as my screens take up the entire width of the desk. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    edited November 2020

Monitor stands so they are off the desk if you have the space?

• duotone said:

Monitor stands so they are off the desk if you have the space?

they are already on stands but theres not the space to get them as wide as id need to be totally unobstructed by the screens
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    Could you change the screens layout to 2 x bottom & 1x top (like a pyramid)?
  • duotone said:
    Could you change the screens layout to 2 x bottom & 1x top (like a pyramid)?
    hmm possibly yes.might need to by some mounting hardware to make it happen as i currently have 2 stands, 1 holding a laptop tray which is screen 3 and the other with a dual monitor stand on arms. Def worth investigating that idea. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ