Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD: EVH content...

What's Hot
jacksonunitedjacksonunited Frets: 234
edited September 2020 in Guitar
Haters gonna hate, but I finally collected this the other day...

It's awesome. I had it reserved for first dibs since before the world went crazy, and it finally showed up. The relic job is a bit clunky, but it plays really, really well. They over did the neck tint though - it looks like it has been played after someone was digging for coal with their bare hands. It also has a Wolfgang pickup rather than a Frankenstein which is odd

I think this era EVH is irrelevant enough to get away with playing this live now...aside from other musicians nobody is going to know what it is. That millennial Billy Eillish doesn't even know who Van Halen are haha.... I play in one 80s metal tribute band and a heavy Alt rock originals band, so this is going to get used for both

0reaction image LOL 24reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That’s freakin beautiful ,absolutely love it, sincere congratulations , enjoy it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Brilliant....Just absolutely brilliant...
  • Sub-zero cool. Enjoy. 
  • Well cool! 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18729
    That looks the biz. You need to get rid of the PRS cab though, it's spoiling the view  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That millennial, Billy Eillish, doesn't even know who Van Halen are, haha...
    Thanks to alcohol, neither do some members of the band!  :3
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That millennial, Billy Eillish, doesn't even know who Van Halen are, haha...
    Thanks to alcohol, neither do some members of the band!  :3
    True, Eddie seems to think his son is the bass player.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    edited September 2020
    I did a double take when I saw these, but I just can't buy a striped series - Has to be a flat colour or unrelated graphic. The only signature I could buy would be a Steve Harris or Phil Lynott P (if I had the money), but they would end up on the wall, as a nostalgia trip back to my original inspiration / influence.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    That there is my favourite guitar, I put  a working neck pickup in my own tribute builds, push pull to select it, Ed is a genius.
    This guitar changed our world forever.
    Congrats, I personally couldn't play it in public, the expectations would be too high.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Feel free to post some more detailed shots of your new toy, I cannot get enough of Frankenstein.
    Imagine the work that has to go into getting the stripe job to look accurate, the Fender custom shop charged £25k for the original replica, and honestly, it seemed to be justified in the level of detail. Not quite, but maybe.
    I love hearing the new stories I hear about Ed, and the crazy things he did, for example, the track that really got me listening to Van Halen was Beat it, and Jump which was around the same time-I was more into Motorhead and Iron Maiden, so hadn't really got into VH.
    There was a recent Steve Lukather interview where he discussed the recording of Beat it. Eddie had chopped up the tape when he put the solo over MJ's vocal track, which ruined the synchronisation track that was there to lock 2  tape machines together, and Lukather had to put guitar bass and drum tracks together over the ruined tape, he had to save the project.
    Thank god he managed it, imagine if the track was ruined. 
    I think that is the only way you could get to use this guitar in a set, for the solo in Beat it, and only if you could nail it.
    This guy gets it, but he has enough gimmicks to not need Frankenstein.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jacksonunitedjacksonunited Frets: 234
    edited September 2020

Here's a few more - what is cool is that you can feel where it has been masked off and painted in layers as per the original.

The Custom shop one was ridiculous, but it was a far more faithful recreation. There's a Fender trem on that, and it famously never held its tune. The floyd didn't appear until he started using Kramers if I remember correctly. I remember Eddie saying 'this guitar got famous when I painted it red' most people don't know it's the same guitar as the black and white one.

As for playing it live, meh - I'm going to use it, I have my first gig back next week and the d-tuna is a life saver as I play between drop C# and D#. Its a guitar like any other, ok so it looks like a famous guitar from 40 years ago (how depressing is that) but I think the best tribute possible to to use it and enjoy it.  When I see someone with a jem I don't think anything of it, I just think it's a cool looking guitar.

One thing I do like is, you can spend £4k on a PRS or R8 and nobody gives it a second look - everyone who has seen this has said what the hell is THAT? Nobody has said oh Its Van Halen's guitar... yet anyway
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jacksonunitedjacksonunited Frets: 234
    edited September 2020
    double post
  • andy_k said:
    Feel free to post some more detailed shots of your new toy, I cannot get enough of Frankenstein.
    Imagine the work that has to go into getting the stripe job to look accurate, the Fender custom shop charged £25k for the original replica, and honestly, it seemed to be justified in the level of detail. Not quite, but maybe.
    I love hearing the new stories I hear about Ed, and the crazy things he did, for example, the track that really got me listening to Van Halen was Beat it, and Jump which was around the same time-I was more into Motorhead and Iron Maiden, so hadn't really got into VH.
    There was a recent Steve Lukather interview where he discussed the recording of Beat it. Eddie had chopped up the tape when he put the solo over MJ's vocal track, which ruined the synchronisation track that was there to lock 2  tape machines together, and Lukather had to put guitar bass and drum tracks together over the ruined tape, he had to save the project.
    Thank god he managed it, imagine if the track was ruined. 
    I think that is the only way you could get to use this guitar in a set, for the solo in Beat it, and only if you could nail it.
    This guy gets it, but he has enough gimmicks to not need Frankenstein.

But thats John 5... I don't think there's anyone better than him :astonished: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    I think your Franky looks magnificent, don't get too obsessed by comparing it to the original - that is a rabbit hole that you can go down a very long way, hope you don't mind, heres a couple of mine

I think you do need to look for a 71 quarter though.
    enjoy it, it brought back a lot of happy memories for me.
    cheers
    andy k
  • Nice! 
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3984
    Don't worry, I'm sure that neck'll clean up just fine.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7027
    tFB Trader
    andy_k said:
    I think you do need to look for a 71 quarter though.
    wis'd
  • dariusdarius Frets: 632

As for playing it live, meh - I'm going to use it, I have my first gig back next week and the d-tuna is a life saver as I play between drop C# and D#. Its a guitar like any other, ok so it looks like a famous guitar from 40 years ago (how depressing is that) but I think the best tribute possible to to use it and enjoy it.  When I see someone with a jem I don't think anything of it, I just think it's a cool looking guitar.

One thing I do like is, you can spend £4k on a PRS or R8 and nobody gives it a second look - everyone who has seen this has said what the hell is THAT? Nobody has said oh Its Van Halen's guitar... yet anyway
    Nice!
    I grew up on EVH and his guitars are why i really don't like perfect beautiful guitars, they need to be used, hand bodged, abused and beaten up. I've got the wolfgang, been tempted by the striped version, its far enough away from the Frankie and probably fewer expectations of being Eddie in a pub, an homage, but then I always bottle it. I do like the plain EVH strats that are out now but the colours are awful. So then its full circle back to wanting the striped, and we start all over again. :-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Enjoy!  Such an iconic thing, it's sort of amazing to me that we can buy something like that, it's without doubt the guitar I've been most captivated by since the early 80's.

I'll never buy one though (probably not available lefty anyway...), I'm happy with my two Wolfgangs. And you have bigger nuts than me if you're going to play it out :)
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 585
    Very nice man, very nice indeed. Been lusting after one of those myself but another Van Halen guitar might make me look a bit obsessive ...