Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb (And Twin) Review

What's Hot

Comments

• dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    edited October 2020
    I have pulled the trigger and have ordered the TMDR. Looking forward to giving it a try
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stilwelstilwel Frets: 19
    edited October 2020
    Surely, once they did it, the 'unknown results' became known results and it sounded fine?
    Agreed, but the point is that the Tube DR and the TMDR won't react to a different speaker in the same way since some of that physical interaction between the virtual output transformer and the reactive speaker impedance is hard-coded into the TM based on an assumption about what speaker it is connected to.

For the purposes of their experiment, "sounding fine" isn't the same as "the TMDR sounds just like the DRRI into the same speaker". 

Bottom line, I wouldn't expect both amps to sound the same into a different speaker.  So it's kind of a faulty experiment and the result (not sounding the same into a different speaker) was not surprising.

Similarly, the TM Blonde amps are hard-coded to be driving a Celestion Creamback Neo speaker. 
    FENDER - Scottsdale, AZ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    stilwel said:

Similarly, the TM Blonde amps are hard-coded to be driving a Celestion Creamback Neo speaker. 
    Yes, but that’s just the same as how the DRRI is designed with a baseline expectation that it will be played into a Jensen C12K - you can always change the speaker and it will sound a bit different. 

What I’d be interested in is knowing how the TMDR sounds into one of the real classic DR speakers e.g. Weber 12F150 etc 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    That just sounds like another shortcoming of the TM then if you're not supposed to change out speakers.
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9445
    edited October 2020
    tone1 said:
    They look damn cool though...
    Tone, Ive got to agree...

The classic Fender livery...

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1 said:
    They look damn cool though...
    Tone, Ive got to agree...

The classic Fender livery...

That guitar/ amp combination doesn’t suck
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    A thread this long.............and nobody has mentioned R8s??
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671

soma1975 said:
    That just sounds like another shortcoming of the TM then if you're not supposed to change out speakers.

Thats like saying its OK to change a set of 60 profile tyres on your Bentley or Rolls for a new set of wheels and 30 profiles and then be surprised that the ride is shit. 

It will work best as it was designed to do; not with some mods that were never ever intended.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1845
    rlw said:

soma1975 said:

Thats like saying its OK to change a set of 60 profile tyres on your Bentley or Rolls for a new set of wheels and 30 profiles and then be surprised that the ride is shit. 

It will work best as it was designed to do; not with some mods that were never ever intended.
    :s Not sure the car analogy fits. Few would suggest guitars/guitar pickups should follow this rule.

Having said that, I can’t see why anyone would purchase a TM (or any digital modelling combo) if they disliked the stock tone.
    rlw said:

soma1975 said:

What about putting a set of Continental PremiumContact 6 all-weather tyres on your Fiat Punto? I mean, they aren't stock... 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    TINMAN82 said:
    rlw said:

soma1975 said:

:s Not sure the car analogy fits. Few would suggest guitars/guitar pickups should follow this rule.

Having said that, I can’t see why anyone would purchase a TM (or any digital modelling combo) if they disliked the stock tone.

People buy a Les Paul and feel it could be improved with a pickup change. Same with amps. Except magic don't be upgradingy 'the speaker is in the firmware' amps, apparently. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    How many people change the speaker in any other modelling amp?

Or in fact, how many people change the speaker in any amp?

Actually come to think of it, how many people even know what sort of speaker is in their amp...

My experience is none, not many, and a surprisingly small number, respectively - despite many amps being fitted with ones that are not at all optimal in my opinion, and seem to be either chosen for cost, volume or because they're a brand-recognition item (eg V30, which is a great speaker in the right amp but often put in totally inappropriate ones).

At least the Jensen Tornados are good speakers and appropriate to the voicing of the amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Every amp I have owned. 

rlw said:

soma1975 said:

Wisdom.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not sure I'm seeing the fuss on speakers. Change out and give it a listen and the golden rule applies - if it sounds good, it is good. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Not sure I'm seeing the fuss on speakers. Change out and give it a listen and the golden rule applies - if it sounds good, it is good. 
    Exactly. One mans 'it sounds best stock' is another man's 'but what if we ran it through a variac' etc etc...

ennspek said:
    @Wazmeister bloody hell mate. When you start a thread, you start a thread!
    It has caused quite some interest hasnt it ?
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    ennspek said:
    @Wazmeister bloody hell mate. When you start a thread, you start a thread!
    It has caused quite some interest hasnt it ?
    Would’ve sunk without a trace in the Amp Reviews forum! :D 
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • soma1975 said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    rlw said:

soma1975 said:

People buy a Les Paul and feel it could be improved with a pickup change. Same with amps. Except magic don't be upgradingy 'the speaker is in the firmware' amps, apparently. 
    I think the difference is people change speakers for a perceived upgrade. If a different speaker sounds worse to you, don't fit it. 

Likewise, if someone has a TM and discovers a celestion speaker sounds nicer to them, that's subjectively an upgrade. 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

So let me get this straight.  People are getting worried about changing a speaker on an amp they probably don't own and may not have even tried, or potentially ever try.  Despite the amp being specifically designed to be lightweight and already comes with a choice of 2 good quality neo speakers.   Despite the fact that you could easily swap the speaker out anyway and it will be safe to do so as long as the impedance and wattage are acceptable.  But despite all that, and even though the replacement speaker will work, it may not work quite as expected, because the amp wasn't specifically designed for that speaker?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom