Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb (And Twin) Review

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader

So let me get this straight.  People are getting worried about changing a speaker on an amp they probably don't own and may not have even tried, or potentially ever try.  Despite the amp being specifically designed to be lightweight and already comes with a choice of 2 good quality neo speakers.   Despite the fact that you could easily swap the speaker out anyway and it will be safe to do so as long as the impedance and wattage are acceptable.  But despite all that, and even though the replacement speaker will work, it may not work quite as expected, because the amp wasn't specifically designed for that speaker?

Given that the amp comes with a choice of the only two speakers you would probably want to use in it, changing it seems a bit daft.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1646

So let me get this straight.  People are getting worried about changing a speaker on an amp they probably don't own and may not have even tried, or potentially ever try.  Despite the amp being specifically designed to be lightweight and already comes with a choice of 2 good quality neo speakers.   Despite the fact that you could easily swap the speaker out anyway and it will be safe to do so as long as the impedance and wattage are acceptable.  But despite all that, and even though the replacement speaker will work, it may not work quite as expected, because the amp wasn't specifically designed for that speaker?

I don’t think people are getting worried about it. One guy did seem a bit concerned despite, quite predictably, when they tried a different speaker and it sounded absolutely fine.

Apparently, the evidence of ones own ears trumps whether or not the manual says it’s a good idea or not.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753

Given that the amp comes with a choice of the only two speakers you would probably want to use in it, changing it seems a bit daft.

I don't agree. When I buy one it'll be for the attenuator, not the weight. If it sounds better with another speaker I'd certainly consider it - it would still be lighter than a regular DRRI as it won't have the transformers.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    I see no harm in looking at fitting other speakers, this is not a typical modelling amp. 

Most modellers need versatility and neutrality which strictly dictates the type of speaker, up to and including full range PA-types in order to enable different cabs to be approximated.

The TMDR only models one amp and doesn't model the cabinet/speaker at all because it has a real one. 

You won't lose anything by experimenting with speakers any more than you would with a regular Deluxe Reverb - the speaker isn't trying to replicate anything, it's just a speaker. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9446
    At the end of the day, it's not the Holy Grail - you can swop and change as you see fit :)

As an aside, I always found the the Zilla 1x12 I used (fitted with a Neo Greenback I think) sounded best of the 'real' cabs with the Kemper and the HX Stomp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    I've no problem with changing speakers and have done so with about half the amps I've owned but, in the case of a speaker fitted precisely because it make the amp sound most like it was designed to do ie. like a DRRI, why bother.

If it sounds quite like a valve powered DRRI with the stock speaker, it's unlikely to sound more like one with a different speaker.  It will sound different, maybe better or maybe worse to the ears of the fittor, but it won't sound like it was intended to sound and that, IMHO, is the whole fucking point of the thing.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3894
    I’d really like to get the Deluxe Reverb but having just bought a guitar I’d need to sell my 68 Princeton Custom to fund it. That might sound backwards to some but I live in an apartment so it spends most of its time looking pretty rather than being used.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1845
    I’d really like to get the Deluxe Reverb but having just bought a guitar I’d need to sell my 68 Princeton Custom to fund it. That might sound backwards to some but I live in an apartment so it spends most of its time looking pretty rather than being used.
    Get a Captor X, best of both worlds,
    TINMAN82 said:
    Get a Captor X, best of both worlds,
    The big advantage of the TM is that you dont need something like the Cature X to get volumes respectable, or to go direct... ;)
  • I’d really like to get the Deluxe Reverb but having just bought a guitar I’d need to sell my 68 Princeton Custom to fund it. That might sound backwards to some but I live in an apartment so it spends most of its time looking pretty rather than being used.

I sold an early Silver face Princeton after buying my TM deluxe.  It's that good and way more functional in apartment settings, lighter to carry and more versatile in tone.  I've used the TM for band rehearsals in the 5 watt setting and it's perfect.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    Trude said:
    ennspek said:
    @Wazmeister bloody hell mate. When you start a thread, you start a thread!
    It has caused quite some interest hasnt it ?
    Would’ve sunk without a trace in the Amp Reviews forum! :D 
    There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.

Oscar Wilde 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    So, to summarise 8 pages, is it like any good?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hattigol said:
    Yes. But also no. 

Does that help?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hattigol said:
    Those who have one think it is, those who don't think it's not?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Hattigol said:
    A perfect summary...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Hattigol said:
    A perfect summary...
    Unless those who have one and don’t think it’s good are too furious to speak about it : )
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1778
    I'm in a very similar position just with a 68 Custom Vibrolux instead.

I'd really like the TM Twin but being a tart I'd want to swap the front panel for a silver face version.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    munckee said:
    Hattigol said:
    A perfect summary...
    Unless those who have one and don’t think it’s good are too furious to speak about it : )
    Sorry, I've lost track now,, is this still the Katana Thread? :)
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 733
    edited October 2020
    I loved my old Fender Deluxe Reverb, only problem was that is wasn't loud enough for pub gigs, so I built a 50 watt version, which was great. This AB763 Black Face is my fav Fender circuit, the AB763 circuit was used in the Deluxe, Deluxe Reverb, Twin Reverb, Super Reverb, Band-Master, Showman, Pro, Vibrolux, Vibroverb and Tremolux.

This is my fav AB763 circuit, without reverb:

If you hook up both channels on an AB763 Black Face in series, by external cable or internally, you get a very nice sound, can this new DSP model do that?

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • Haz478Haz478 Frets: 64
    Hattigol said:
    A thread this long.............and nobody has mentioned R8s??
    Erm, I play a 2017 R8 into a tonemaster, is that a perfect storm????