Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb (And Twin) Review

What's Hot

Comments

• I've not compared or tried the amps myself, but I've watched several YouTube videos and am amazed by how great the Tone Masters sound. Hoping to try one to see how I think they respond to playing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Compared the creamback and Jensen tonemaster yesterday. They are excellent. I preferred the Jensen. 
  • Compared the creamback and Jensen tonemaster yesterday. They are excellent. I preferred the Jensen. 
    Same here, loving mine, though the beige/cream finish looks super cool.
  • OnparOnpar Frets: 415
    Does the software update provide a better pedal platform? 
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3132
    edited September 2020
    Onpar said:
    Yes, I believe the removal of the ‘bright cap’ makes drive pedals less harsh. Tbh, I haven’t tried it yet (though I have done the update) -it just sounds so good straight in. 
  • I’d love a silver face version of the twin. Would be pretty much my ideal amp I think
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Great review. Was very tempted before. Best guitar tone I ever had was a Deluxe Reverb with a 335 turned up to six. 

I know it was good, cause the neighbours were telling me so. Although they seemed to have issues with their clocks, as the kept asking if I knew what time it was. 

A blond Deluxe reverb Tonemaster is arriving tomorrow. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Onpar said:
    Thus far for me, with a few delays/verb, and the CB Automaton it has been a very good pedal platform.

The software update provided a sweeter sweep on the reverb knob
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    edited September 2020
    Did you watch this? What do you think?

https://youtu.be/NJacQ2CfHwY

i preferred the twin tone of the tonemaster overall

Are you hearing the similarities @Wazmeister ?
  • Did you watch this? What do you think?

https://youtu.be/NJacQ2CfHwY

i preferred the twin tone of the tonemaster overall

Are you hearing the similarities @Wazmeister ?
    I personally preferred the ‘give’ of the DR, but wouldve been happy with either =)
  • Well, one week in. 

First thoughts were I’m not sure. Then I twiddled those knobs on the front. 

Love it, absolutely great. Played it with a tele all week, but when a les Paul is used, it sounds very Clapton / Peter Green.......but it’s not a Marshall???

the more I think I know, the more I’m sure I don’t. 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    Not sure why a Les Paul into a Blackface amp would sound like Peter Green...
  • Peter Green - Gibson into Fender Dual Showman. Check out Fleetwood Mac live in Boston, that’s what he used :)

did you get the deluxe?
  • Yup blonde deluxe. Really like it. Some might be able to tell the difference between this and the valve version, but I can’t. Great for home use. 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    Haz478 said:
    Yup blonde deluxe. Really like it. Some might be able to tell the difference between this and the valve version, but I can’t. Great for home use. 
    I really didn’t want to hear the ‘great for home use’ ...it does look the part too!  =)
  • tone1 said:
    Haz478 said:
    Yup blonde deluxe. Really like it. Some might be able to tell the difference between this and the valve version, but I can’t. Great for home use. 
    I really didn’t want to hear the ‘great for home use’ ...it does look the part too!  =)
    Yep, home use is good. Mine’s cranked to overdrive with the attenuator on the back flicked all the way down to 0.2 and it sounds good at a reasonable volume for me.

Goes without saying it’s nicer without the muzzle on, but that’s every amp with an attenuator tbh. 
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1845
    edited September 2020
    tone1 said:
    Haz478 said:
    I really didn’t want to hear the ‘great for home use’ ...it does look the part too! 
    Yep, home use is good. Mine’s cranked to overdrive with the attenuator on the back flicked all the way down to 0.2 and it sounds good at a reasonable volume for me.

Goes without saying it’s nicer without the muzzle on, but that’s every amp with an attenuator tbh. 
    It’s not really an attenuator though is it? It’s a stepped master volume on a solid state amp designed to give the impression of the sort of attenuator you find on some modern tube amps.  That’s not a criticism btw, I’m sure it sounds great and improves the sweep of the front panel volume at each step.

Perhaps it sounds better with the volume up because it’s louder.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    TINMAN82 said:
    tone1 said:
    Haz478 said:
    I really didn’t want to hear the ‘great for home use’ ...it does look the part too! 

It’s not really an attenuator though is it? It’s a stepped master volume on a solid state amp designed to give the impression of the sort of attenuator you find on some modern tube amps.  That’s not a criticism btw, I’m sure it sounds great and improves the sweep of the front panel volume at each step.

I'm assuming you get more simulated power amp drive with the attenuator down and the master up?
  • TINMAN82 said:
    tone1 said:
    Haz478 said:

I'm assuming you get more simulated power amp drive with the attenuator down and the master up?
    This I think. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    It's a good idea but seems a bit expensive. For that kind of price I would just buy a used valve amp. 

I hope they used a decent class D design, in a cabinet that big there's plenty of room so no excuse for building a small footprint SMPS design that will inevitably go wrong in 4 or 5 years of giging 
    www.2020studios.co.uk